Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Victoria will host all of the nation’s major tennis events this summer in an effort to ensure the strong-possible field for the Australian Open.

Tennis Australia will transfer the events usually held in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart to Victoria, according to the Herald Sun.

The unprecedented measure is because of coronavirus, with players to fly into Melbourne for a two-week quarantine.

They are then free to travel around the state for competition, with some of the events potentially being held at regional venues.

“There is now no risk of the Australian Open going ahead without everyone in Victoria and we didn’t have that guarantee previously,’‘ Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley was quoted as saying.
https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/b...ram-of-onlyfans-star-vanessa-sierra-c-1571979
Players are expected to arrive in Melbourne from mid-December.

It remains unclear how many fans will attend the Open, which is scheduled from January 18-31.

Tiley wants at least 25 per cent crowd capacity, which has been confirmed for cricket’s annual Boxing Day Test at the MCG.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
That’s a lot of good hotel rooms in Melbourne being block booked for several weeks then!

Be interesting when the details emerge about how many warm up tournaments there can be and what courts are going to be used.

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a lot of good hotel rooms in Melbourne being block booked for several weeks then!

Be interesting when the details emerge about how many warm up tournaments there can be and what courts are going to be used.
Oooooohhhh yes.

I'm already thinking about which clubs could be used, since I've probably played at most in Melb. I wonder if they'll use Kooyong - it'd be almost impossible, since their courts are all grass or en tout cas. Maybe Albert Park?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The Ballarat Regional Tennis Centre has 12 blue (presumably Plexicushion) courts, and Bendigo has 26. These two (plus Pakenham) would surely be the obvious venues if tournaments were to be held outside Melbourne itself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not Kooyong
Only 3 hard courts - significant renovations on the club house

Could use private schools such as Scotch College - plenty of courts, close to the city

Victorian’s. Have been through hell so it is great we are getting events but it is a real shame for other regular events across Anz

The only ITF or challenger hard court events been held in Victoria in recent years are Bendigo and Traralgon.
They have to be hot favs to hold an event.
(Mornington Also played but it is clay and it is a busy time of the year at the beach)
Mildura is the other venue that has hosted events but they have been in grass (& it is super hot in Mildura in January )
As mentioned in previous posts - Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
There is a big tennis centre in Bulleen -20 mins from the city - potential event.
I’ve been told on the other post Ballarat has facilities - I reckon they will host an event
Albert Park Reserve is the other possible venue for a small event
Close to city, facilities and hard courts
They played a lead up there in 1993, Amanda Coetzer won it, doubles too with local Lou Field.
The event moved to Tassie the following year.

Perhaps Torquay or the surf coast have facilities - problem being where players would stay- this is dire business time of the year for our beach towns.
I reckon they will play a atp/wta in the first week at Melb park, where most higher ranked players will play (as they traditionally play this week) 2nd week they will play Ao qualies at Melb park In the 2nd week.
Anyway- I guess we will
Soon find out

·
Registered
77,044 Posts
Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
Looking at Google Maps, the Geelong Lawn Tennis Club actually do have about 6 hard courts at their venue, so it could potentially be another possibility.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Regardless of exactly what venues will be used, I guess for the most part this is the best case solution that for the most part appeases the players, fans, and TA while abiding with the government requirement.

Players still get to train while in quarantine and guaranteed 5 weeks of tennis.
Fans get to watch 5 weeks of multiple tournaments, with a lucky rich few maybe even live.
TA can get a bulk of their tournaments happen, even if not at the original locations.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Albert Park is the most similar in terms of courts but the actual facility is a joke lol. That club house is a shack. Then again, I guess many events in this period of time are gonna be like this.

Traralgon is a decent choice for the smaller events I guess? Idk.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
[...]
There is a big tennis centre in Bulleen -20 mins from the city - potential event.
[...]
Boroondara would be a viable choice. They have 23 courts with floodlights for night matches:
16 Synthetic grass courts, 4 cushioned hard courts, 2 Synthetic clay courts and 1 European Clay Court

If they use the four hard courts they could have night matches to fill up the schedule (weather permitting). Or play it on synthetic grass 😐

The players can play golf at the course opposite to kill time between matches looking at you Ash

Edit: looked up the wrong facility
🤭 but maybe the Bulleen TC that I originally posted is the better option after all

·
Registered
18,537 Posts
Ew Boroondara courts are terrible, I hope not. It's like a 10min drive from me though, so would be quite surreal.

I can't believe I'm suggesting it but Pakenham and even....Cragieburn have significant numbers of plexicushion courts. And ofc they'd be remiss to not use Melb Park a la NY "Cincinnati".

Hoping there are some tournament related casual positions available given they are planning on everything here.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Ew Boroondara courts are terrible, I hope not. It's like a 10min drive from me though, so would be quite surreal.

I can't believe I'm suggesting it but Pakenham and even....Cragieburn have significant numbers of plexicushion courts. And ofc they'd be remiss to not use Melb Park a la NY "Cincinnati".

Hoping there are some tournament related casual positions available given they are planning on everything here.
Are they? I played there once. I was basically a primary schooler with no awareness of my surroundings and it was a while ago so ... you're probably right.

·
Registered
18,537 Posts
Are they? I played there once. I was basically a primary schooler with no awareness of my surroundings and it was a while ago so ... you're probably right.
I may be biased as I played a tournament (cough a one match drubbing) there last year and the courts are primarily yucky synthetic, despise the bounce. Facilities are so-so, but given the number of courts it could certainly happen.

I think I have a 1-1 record doubles record in that hole though, so I support them playing that 😂

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
the poor Melbournians are going to be so sick of tennis after all these events that they'll need a 5-year break from hosting any more.
We are itching to get out! I'm more than happy to go watch Karolína Plíšková win The Margaret Court Arena Brisbane International, as well as be in attendance for her 2R AO loss.

There will be plenty of corporate demand for Melbourne #1 - Melbourne #12, especially if these tournaments and AO is a limited capacity.

·
Your fav could never....
9,133 Posts
Not Kooyong
Only 3 hard courts - significant renovations on the club house

Could use private schools such as Scotch College - plenty of courts, close to the city

Victorian’s. Have been through hell so it is great we are getting events but it is a real shame for other regular events across Anz

The only ITF or challenger hard court events been held in Victoria in recent years are Bendigo and Traralgon.
They have to be hot favs to hold an event.
(Mornington Also played but it is clay and it is a busy time of the year at the beach)
Mildura is the other venue that has hosted events but they have been in grass (& it is super hot in Mildura in January )
As mentioned in previous posts - Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
I’ve been told on the other post Ballarat has facilities - I reckon they will host an event
Albert Park Reserve is the other possible venue for a small event
Close to city, facilities and hard courts
They played a lead up there in 1993, Amanda Coetzer won it, doubles too with local Lou Field.
The event moved to Tassie the following year.

Perhaps Torquay or the surf coast have facilities - problem being where players would stay- this is dire business time of the year for our beach towns.
I reckon they will play a atp/wta in the first week at Melb park, where most higher ranked players will play (as they traditionally play this week) 2nd week they will play Ao qualies at Melb park In the 2nd week.
Anyway- I guess we will
Soon find out
Gee I hope so... It was be amazing to have a Tennis event in my home town of Ballarat :D

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Traralgon is pretty much a shoe in for something here. Wodonga were close to getting a David Cup tie, losing to Mildura. They have 10 Plexi's all with lights? Maybe? Pic from their site :) About - Courts

·
Registered
15,689 Posts
So we're not gonna have fake "Cincinnati in Queens New York" type tournaments taking place in Rod Laver Arena and the rest of Melbourne Park? Why not?

What's the health benefit of relocating a tournament from Brisbane and Sydney to not Melbourne but some random outback village somewhere in Victoria? You'd still have to drive for hours or fly if that's the case.

Seems to me like the Aussies are using tennis to resuscitate the economy of the one and only panedmic hit province that suffered long and hard lockdown.

1 - 20 of 404 Posts