Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/lisa_raymond/06/04/doubles.french/index.html

Alive and kicking

Americans stumbling? Take a look at doubles draw

PARIS -- "Americans Bomb out of French Open." "Nightmare for U.S. Tennis." "Slip-Sliding Away, USA."

Those are just a few of the headlines you may have come across during the past week while reading about the French Open. The media has beaten the topic to a pulp, relentlessly focusing on how the Americans can't play on clay -- how, entering the second week at Roland Garros, there is only one American left here, Serena Williams, competing for a Grand Slam title.

Not so fast. The picture isn't nearly as dismal as the coverage makes it out to be. Just shift your attention to the doubles draw. Still alive in men's doubles competition are the dynamic duo of Bob and Mike Bryan. The brothers have advanced easily into the quarterfinals of the French with rock-solid performances thus far.

As the No. 1 team in the world, not only do the Bryans already own a French Open title from 2003, they have compiled an insane 39-3 record this year with six titles. That includes Masters Series events in Monte Carlo and Hamburg, Germany -- both on dreaded red clay. Last year they lost in the finals of the French and now they're back looking to avenge that loss.

Over on the women's doubles side, American Meghann Shaughnessy has partnered with Slovakian Janette Husarova, and they advanced to the quarterfinals with a win on Monday. If you look at the top of the draw, there's another name with which you might be familiar: me!

With the No. 1 seeding, my partner Sam Stosur and I came to Paris this year as defending champions and an eye on adding another title before we leave. We head into the second week after having fought our way through three matches. A couple of weeks ago, we captured the tier-one German Open title in Berlin, a nice win en route to Paris -- which, by the way, was also on clay.
Has anyone glanced at the mixed-doubles draw this year? An American team by the name of Bryan/Raymond is the No. 1 seed, in action in the quarterfinals on Monday. Interesting.

All told, that's a possibility of three French Open titles for teams featuring Americans -- and that's in addition to Serena, who has made a fine showing here on a surface we all know isn't our strong suit. Instead of constantly saying how poorly we're fairing in Paris, how about taking a closer look?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I think this is an extremely weak attempt from Lisa, really.
she is just shutting her eyes for the obvious. :shrug:

Doubles is NOT the same as singels, simple as that. The competition is fra less fierce.

all respect to the doubles teams, but this is a deluded article. A meager 2 ladies and 2 men in a doubles draw in the seocnd week. :unsure:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts