Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molik backs program to boost rising stars
RUSSELL REID, The West Australian September 9, 2011, 7:10 am

Crystal Mildwaters, 9, of Maddington, gets some expert advice from Alicia Molik and Andrew Roberts at the State Tennis Centre. Picture: John Mokrzycki

Alicia Molik has thrown her weight behind a WA program aimed at helping future tennis stars.

The former world No.8, who is due to give birth to her first child in January, recently set up home in Perth with husband Tim Sullivan after getting married in February.

Talent Search and Development, a program run by Tennis West in association with Tennis Australia, aims to identify talented juniors between seven and 12.

Molik, who grew up in Adelaide, said the program and its director Andrew Roberts had a lot to offer young players.

The 30-year-old said nurturing the best youngsters was a key to lifting Australia's flagging fortunes.

"I was fortunate to be involved in a couple of programs in Adelaide, but I didn't have what the children out of this squad certainly have," Molik said.

"A lot of them are only nine or 10 and there was one seven years old. It's additional training to what they have organised for later in the day with their other sports.

"They are all keen to get out of bed and be at tennis by 6.30 in the morning and to have 30-odd kids out there is pretty impressive.

"They are working on their serves and getting the right technique, so it's pretty advanced stuff. That's what we need to do if we really want to produce some future champions."

Molik said children had many sports options to choose from.

"I think it's difficult for kids these days because there is so much available," she said.

"In other countries, especially the eastern European countries, the kids don't have as many choices in sport so they merge towards the sports that give them the greatest opportunity.

"Here in Australia we have so many of those. There are so many competitors now so we need to do everything we possibly can to make sure our juniors choose tennis over Auskick (Australian Rules), Minkey (hockey) and all these other sports that are so popular."

Molik and her husband are very excited about becoming parents for the first time.

"It's probably the most important stage in our lives and we can't wait," she said.

Molik may follow the lead of Kim Clijsters and return to the tour after the birth of her child.

"I haven't officially retired," she said. "I've protected my ranking due to injury, not the pregnancy.
"I couldn't imagine myself going back but if I ever have that desire, at least the door is open."

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
After Stosur's win Alicia make a comment on how this will encourage all the aussie girls and also said something like "it even inspires me to go back home and start hitting"...
I'm not reading much into that but it gave me hope.

I just wish things worked out better for her, she could have been lifting that US Open trophee at some point if she had not had these injuries. And if she had played a better schedule she would have done a lot better in her comeback.

I really hope to see her on court again because she is my all time favourite. :sad:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i'm the same. I feel so sad at how her career panned out, after the 2005 AO I was so excited for her, and then it all came crashing down :sad: Everytime she had a setback I just kept thinking 'it's ok, she can come back from this', but she never really did.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
NTL-WA - Hensman/Midland TC "Ian Hutchison Real Estate" def. UWA/Reabold TC "Greenwich Giants" 5-1

Caitlin Critland d. Alicia Molik 4-1, 4-2
Teiwa Casey d. Maninela Antonic 4-0, 4-2
Sophie Allen-Fisher d. Kimberly Fisher 4-1, 4-2
Kristy Jones d. Ali Connell 4-2, 0-4 (7-2)
Caitlin Cridland/Teiwa Casey d. Alicia Molik/Marinela Antonic 4-0, 4-3
Sophie Allen-Fisher/Jade Flindell lt. Kimberly Fisher/Ali Connell 1-4, 1-4

:tape:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mother-to-be Molik in form

by: Glen Foreman
November 12, 2011 5:00PM

SHE'S the WA tennis supermum, serving up aces with a seven-month baby bump.

Former world No.8 Alicia Molik has now retired from the hectic life of the tennis tour to focus on being a mother, as she and husband, Tim Sullivan, prepare to welcome their first child into the world.

But this week she was still hitting winners. Molik, who has entered her third trimester and is due to give birth in January, made a competitive appearance on Wednesday in the new National Tennis League competition at the State Tennis Centre in Burswood.

Proudly showing a seven-month baby bump, the 30-year-old played with caution, limiting her court coverage and exertion.

It meant she was unable to hold off the next generation as 17-year-old Caitlin Cridland claimed victory in two shortened sets with a 4-1 4-2 win. But it was still an impressive performance.

Molik has not competed on the Women's Tennis Association pro tour, due first to injury and then to pregnancy, since the Australian Open in January, where she lost in the second round in her comeback from a post-Olympics retirement.

She said she still loved taking to the court, despite being months from birth.

"I've been hitting pretty much every week since I've been pregnant, a couple of times a week and I coach most afternoons," Molik said. "It feels normal actually, a bit slower and you can't move around as easily. I guess I'm not as agile on court and I'm cautious not to be.

"It was also an opportunity to play with some good friends, to catch up, hit a few tennis balls and have a bit of fun, really."

Molik, who married WA partner Sullivan in February in Victoria's Yarra Valley and now lives in Cottesloe, said she was unlikely to return to tennis as a mother.

"I couldn't imagine I would," Molik said. "I'd like to continue really being involved in the development of young kids in the future because I feel like it's my responsibility as well to give back. I asked them to protect my ranking in case I ever had that desire, just because I could, not because I necessarily wanted to return at the time.

"The door's always open, but I've played for 12 years and it's quite a rigorous life on tour for nine months a year and I don't think it would really serve as a stable environment for a newborn travelling around week-to-week and being in a different city week-to-week."

The mother-to-be said she felt no anxiety about the impending birth.

"I think a lot worse things could happen and giving birth certainly isn't one of the worst things," she said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/mother-to-be-molik-in-form/story-e6frg13u-1226193486848

She's got a small belly! :p

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Not sure why anyone would think it stupid that Alicia would be playing tennis at her stage of pregnancy. Pregnancy is not an illness that confines one to bed. She knows her limits, and it is probably better that she is out there exercising than blobbing out on the couch eating fried chicken and ice cream.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Not sure why anyone would think it stupid that Alicia would be playing tennis at her stage of pregnancy. Pregnancy is not an illness that confines one to bed. She knows her limits, and it is probably better that she is out there exercising than blobbing out on the couch eating fried chicken and ice cream.
Well put! :lol:

Yes the fact she was creamed by an unheralded 17 y/o in the singles and lost the doubles just as badly shows that she's not really pushing herself too hard.

·
Registered
25,232 Posts
Nice to see Alicia in action there :) Glad she's enjoying herself out there & is looking forward to becoming a mother :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
What if she trips over or gets hit in the stomach with a ball?

·
Registered
18,049 Posts
^^
What if she gets hit by a car when crossing the road?

Wishing Alicia all the best for this exciting next phase of her life :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
NOW HIT THE PRACTISE COURTS!!

No I'm only joking. Congrats Alicia & Tim. I'm stoked for her.

(But seriously come back).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts