Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She did very well last week in Cueno, Italy, qualifying and then reaching the final (L. to Pennetta). I know she's 26, and plays almost exclusively in Italy, but can anybody give me more info on her? Seems like she could be a late bloomer.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,788 Posts
She's been on the tour a while, I think, but never reached great heights..

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Yeah i saw her in a doubles match at the AUS Open with Milagros Sequera vs. Navratilova and Kuznetsova. I was actually following her progress and i too picked up on how she only played tournaments in Italy. She's done extremely well as she was pretty low in the rankings previously and now she is placed within the top 200. She has had a baby thats what i remember from the commentary.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
SerenaVenusNo1 said:
She did very well last week in Cueno, Italy, qualifying and then reaching the final (L. to Pennetta). I know she's 26, and plays almost exclusively in Italy, but can anybody give me more info on her? Seems like she could be a late bloomer.
As a junior she used to play doubles with Giulia Casoni and they were pretty successful - I think they won at Roland Garros for their category back then, or something like that...
After that, I think she hasn't been so lucky in her attempt to go pro. I saw her in Rome this year, in qualies. She has nice groundstrokes but she lacks a bit of power, and her movement on court could improve also.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I also watched her play with Sequera at AUS Open.
I wasn't the slightest bit impressed. WAY too much spin and no power at all.
But obviously she is a decent player....
i would still be very shocked to see her in the top 100. She doesn't have the power... on a hardcourt i reckon her shots would get eaten up by top 50 girls.
She reminds me of an even weaker version of Catalina Castano.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Not a late bloomer really. She was playing juniors about the same time as Mauresmo- she's been around a while. But she had a baby in her early twenties and never really broke through. I admire her for continuing to play. :D

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mariangelina said:
Not a late bloomer really. She was playing juniors about the same time as Mauresmo- she's been around a while. But she had a baby in her early twenties and never really broke through. I admire her for continuing to play. :D
Well a late bloomer would be somebody who achieves their best results late in their career.

Thanks for the info, guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts