·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alexandra just reached the junior US Open final from Quali, beating Linda Fruhvirtova, Reese Brantmeier and only losing to Maria Camila Osorio Serrano (2001 girl) in the final :yeah:

She is tall and talented girl and showed a good fighting spirit in her matches. I think she can reach the Top 100 if she improves and works hard. Good luck ! :)

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Article from junior US Open :p

In the all-US girls quarterfinal between Yepifanova and wild card Reese Brantmeier, Yepifanova trailed 6-4, 3-0 before requesting a medical timeout. When she returned, with her left thigh wrapped, Yepifanova won eight consecutive games to take a 2-0 lead in the third set and went on to claim a 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 win.

In the semifinals, Yepifanova won her third consecutive match from a set down, beating No. 4 seed Qinwen Zheng of China 3-6, 6-4, 7-5. Yepifanova admitted that she needed time to adapt to Zheng's big hitting, falling behind 4-0 to open the match.

"The girl came out blasting the ball from both sides," the 16-year-old from Florida said. "She was playing great; I was like, what do I do?"

Zheng couldn't sustain that level and Yepifanova raised her game in the second and third sets. She broke to serve for the match at 5-4, but Zheng forced an error at 30-15, then hit a clean forehand winner to earn a break point, and Yepifanova double faulted.

It was Zheng's turn to double fault at 30-40 in the next game, and with a second chance to serve out the match Yepifanova got a lot more first serves in than she had in her previous attempt.

"First serves were crucial," Yepifanova said. "That was my plan for the match: serve plus one mostly. The first time I served for the match, I was up 30-15 and I could just feel my arms getting heavy, myself shaking. The second time, I made myself relax and take more time and make the first serve, focus on that mostly."

Yepifanova went with a body serve on match point and Zheng couldn't get it back in play, giving Yepifanova her eighth win in the past nine days.

"As anyone would be in my situation, I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get the main draw wild card," said Yepifanova, who now trains at IMG, but is still grieving the recent death of Konstantin Anisimov, her coach since she was 12. "But now looking back it, I feel it was good, because I gained so much confidence after qualifying...After that, I knew I could win matches at the Open, even knowing I'm playing such a big tournament."

Yepifanova admits her form coming into the tournament--a second round loss in San Diego and a first round lost at the College Park Grade 1--didn't suggest a run like this, but she's not really surprised.

"I know that my results recently didn't really match up to this, but I knew I was capable of playing very well," Yepifanova said. "I knew that I was capable of playing girls who are ranked much higher than I am, so this is suprising, it's the US Open, I'm in the finals, but at the same time, I knew I could be at this level."

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.itftennis.com/news/310378.aspx

08 Sep 2019

Yepifanova playing in memory of Anisimova's father

For 16-year-old qualifier Alexandra Yepifanova this week’s journey to the US Open final has been a somewhat emotional experience.

Yepifanova is very much a global citizen: she was born in the United States, lived for five years when younger in her parents’ hometown of Moscow, Russia, before moving back stateside to Florida.

While she took the decision this spring to move to Bradenton, Florida, to train at the IMG Academy, much of her formative years were spent training with Konstantin Anisimov, the father of Amanda Anisimova, who unexpectedly passed away a few days shy of his 53rd birthday last month.

“Prior to (IMG) I was working with Amanda Anisimova’s father, Konstantin, and I was working with him since I was 12,” she said. “I really want to dedicate this good result to him because of all the work he put into me and to help me progress as a person and a player. He was more like a family member than a coach.

“I would consider her (Amanda) one of my best friends. She just turned 18 (shortly after her father died) and I was there to help her celebrate.”

It was a long day at the office for all the juniors competing in the singles on Saturday as they had to play their quarter-final and semi-final matches after rain suspended play on Friday.

Yepifanova defeated fellow American Reese Brantmeier 4-6 6-3 6-1 in the quarter-finals and then upset fifth seed Zheng Qinwen of China 3-6 6-4 7-5 in the semi-finals.

Currently ranked No.87 in the junior standings, the only other Grand Slam Yepifanova played was when she qualified at Wimbledon earlier this summer. Now, once again as a qualifier, she’s motored her way to compete for the girls’ singles title.

“Coming into this tournament I was pretty disappointed I didn’t get a wildcard into the main draw, but now feel I gained confidence having to qualify,” Yepifanova said.

In order to hoist the trophy she’ll have to upset another prominent seed in fourth seed Maria Camila Osorio Serrano of Colombia.

Osorio defeated seventh seed Kamilla Bartone of Latvia 6-3 6-4 in the quarter-finals and then defeated Oksana Selekhmeteva of Russia 6-3 6-7(3) 6-4 in the semi-finals.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10