Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making the WB semis in 99 and having her life turned upside down probably helped Alexandra Stevenson's tennis. Cause it got her a lot of wild cards she woldn't otherwise have gotten when the WB points fell off and her ranking tumbled to 100+.

So what we're seeing now is the progression of Alex's career as it should have been. The 21 year old American has been making stead progress, and has recorded some big wins recently.

02 Toray Pan Pacific - def. Amanda Coetzer 3-6, 6-0, 7-6
02 Sydney - def Jennifer Capriati 7-6, 3-6, 6-4

When Toray is over, she'll be up to a career best #36. (Yeah, she's not out of Toray yet, but her next opponent is Monica.) If you allow for the fact that Huber and Tauziat have retired, ALex is two spots shy of being seeded at RG! I seriously predict top twenty for ALex in 2004.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
I cant wait to see the new Alex play. I saw at the 2001 US Open and not that impressed. (I also met her at a Janet Jackson concert two nights before her match) Her serve was powerful, but inconsistent. Her groundstrokes were inconsistent mainly due to her lack of patience. She had no game plan, just hit hard. But through all of that I saw potential and I said to myself, if she lost a few pounds, learned the virtue of patience and worked on her groundstrokes, she would definitely become a threat.

Looks like its all coming to fruition. Best of Luck to her.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The last I saw her play a match was at Wimby 99...she played some nice ones...but I saw a few snippets here and there, and she had many errors too.

Let's hope she can do more than just a few good wins over a few months....

Her win over Jen was quite impressive, but she tanked out in the 1st round the following week!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,512 Posts
Credit to Alex really....I don't care for her myself, but she's had a nice start to the year and I think beating Coetzer was a great win. Not as big ranking wise, but considering Amanda's game, you really have to show patience against her so for Alexandra to win, I think that's probably a sign that's developing a bit more of that, which is what she needs.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I saw Alex in Linz last year!!!She's gotten more patient, and is a quite good volleyer. She really pushed Dokic and I do think now she could do well, maybe a ranking close to the top 20!!!
janie:One point, Amanda has beaten Monica here and I think Davenport(??), so it's a very good win,but I do agree!!!

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I am glad she improved, I was very shocked when I saw her in Montreal 2000 against Dechy!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I agree, I think by the end of this year, she could be Top 30...

Her match against Capriati at Sydney was high quality..

Alex has the weapons to match it with the big gals...

Just wish she'd lose that 'victim' attitude she spouts off so often and be more like Venus and Serena...

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, Alex is way too inconsistent to be top 20 this year. If you look at her last 12 months, she still as likely as not to lose in the first round. But she's in a lot better shape and is more resilient mentally. She'll come up big probably once this year and lose a Tier I final or something. But with the new 32 seed GS's, you don't have to be a consistent player to get seeded. Alex can't be defending much in clay court season. Course she won't likely GET much there either. But if she can hold around mid-30's, injury and retirement should result in a seed for her at a GS. If that GS isn't RG, who cares? If she has to, I'll bet you she plays all 3 grass tuneups. If Alex can be ranked #35 or better going into WB, she'll be seeded there.

And if she's seeded, she won't play anyone with a REALLY good return of serve til the 4th round. Maybe the QF's.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Go Alexandra!
Good luck!!!!!!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,512 Posts
I think all the maindraw wildcards were actually hurting Alexandra more than anything. She has the firepower, and obviously to get to the Wimbledon semifinals she had to have *some* talent, regardless of who you are playing to get there, but at that time Alexandra was just way too inconsistent to pull it together week in and week out and hope to rack in a whole lot of big results as a wildcard against consistent top players all the time, hence the ranking drop. Now, she's had to work harder, going through the qualifying, and it appears to have done her good. When she can get in a couple matches, she's got more confidence heading into the maindraw, and not as much pressure either, at least she'll have picked up more than 1 point. Also, I think that it will help her mature a bit more too. When you have to work like that to find your place on tour, you realize that nobody's perfect, everyone's going to lose their share of matches, but in the long haul she earned it by working hard coming to those events early to try and make the maindraw rather than relying on a past result to get her some maindraw spots consistently.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Her consistency is definitely getting better. After 9-11 she played about 3 or 4 tourneys and she made it to the quarters at 2 of the tourneys she played, and she has done splendidly so far this year. That was just tough luck that she got Meghann in the first round at OZ.

I predicted that she would make top 20 over the break, and so far she seems to be on course. :)

btw--I expect her to lose to Monica tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Volcana I have to slightly disagree with you. If Alexandra continues to beat who she is supposed to beat and continues to have that one big victory over a top twenty player, there is not reason why she cannot be in the top twenty by the U.S. Open.

Of any player in the top 50, Alex has virtually no points she needs to defend. Therefore consistent results into at least the quarters of a tournament could see her leap frog into the top twenty.

I think Alex has gained a lot of confidence and yes she definitely has a way to go. But she is definitely playing better than she ever has since being on tour.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Alex is improving on her game and her results are showing us just that. Alexandra is going to be in top 20 by the end of this year no doubt about it.:)

Anyhow I don't expect Alex to win tomorrow but her results are steady and impressive. She'll only get better and we'll see her backhand forhand and volleys.. come to light.:)

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if she won a title before Anna wins one.:)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Low blow dawn;) But gosh it's nice to see more positive threads for Alex. She seems to have changed a lot and I am glad she herself seems more positive about here game.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
He he yeah but IT could happen though really,I mean ALex could very well win before Anna. I think her mental game is getting so much better.. lol:)

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
OMG!!! ALex just played a fantastic match against Monica Seles!! It went to 2 tiebreakers!! 7/6(9) 7/6(9) :)

See! you all thought I was joking about ALexandra.. this gal is going to rise in rank.. Great job! Top 20 fo sure! no doubt imho:)

Great win Seles too:)

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
wasnt alex the one who beat jenn so she should lose in the second round and win a GS the next week :mad: ;)

well no thanks to you marti lost ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Alex On The Move!

Shut up or put up???

Alex is finding her game!!! Seles DID NOT have an easy time beating Stevenson... Stevenson was in the match, right up to the end. Watchout for Alex... the ROCKET WOMAN... 17 ACES against Seles! :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts