Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1070 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Alexandra is a former Top 10 junior who's been left in the dust as her contemporaries, Victoria, Caroline, Aga and Agnes have made their names on the WTA tour.

Now, Alexandra seems to want to make her own noise. She just lost out on winning her 2nd (and by far biggest) title at the 75K hardcourt in Monzon. She is now within the Top 250 and warrants her own cheering thread! :bounce:

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
She withdrew from the 50k in Osprey next week:hug:. Hoping it's just a scheduling choice, not injury-related.
I kinda expected that. Probably not injury related anyway.

She was scheduled to practice with Halep on Court C from 10 am but IDK if they did that , as Halep practiced with Vesnina from 11 am :shrug:

·
7,499 Posts
I kinda expected that. Probably not injury related anyway.

She was scheduled to practice with Halep on Court C from 10 am but IDK if they did that , as Halep practiced with Vesnina from 11 am :shrug:

Of course she withdrew. She's playing in doubles with Halep. First round tomorrow I think. I'm surprised nobody noticed that. :)

I'm so excited for both for this team-up! :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Not sure why dubs in Miami and a Tuesday (at the earliest) start in the ITF would be mutually exclusive. Hopefully they do well as a team, but I really don't see them lasting past the quarters. Good to see them getting into Fed Cup spirit early on, though :)

·
7,499 Posts
I agree they don't seem to have much chance (though one can only hope).

But isn't it more fair-play of Alex to let the organizers know in advance, rather than calling last minute to say she can't, because she actually did make it to the 2nd round in doubles here (which I think will be on Tuesday only).

Also, I'm not familiar with all formalities in these tournaments, but maybe there are even some deadlines and fees to pay to confirm your participation, and that deadline might have been today. I don't know...

Anyway, I do agree that either way she's taking a certain risk, sacrificing probably some points and money, for an experiment which might or might not pay off on the long run. Because I do wish them all success. They're both among my favorite tennis players, so I couldn't be happier if this works out for them. :)

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Also, I'm not familiar with all formalities in these tournaments, but maybe there are even some deadlines and fees to pay to confirm your participation, and that deadline might have been today. I don't know...
There are such fees and deadlines (as described in the factsheet). The only thing, Alex will now have to pay a fine to the ITF because of her late withdrawal :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Can't remember if it's her first LWM this year or not, but it's not really important since the fine isn't a big deal. Probably around the same amount as they give any player that attends that pro-am event there :lol:

No surprises in doubles unfortunately :tears:

Miami Open
WD, 1st Round

(wc)Hantuchova/Knapp def. (wc)Dulgheru/Halep 75 63

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
:hug: Simona practiced her net play and Alex got a better paycheck out of the tournament so it wasn't a bad day at the office when all is said and done.

·
7,499 Posts
:hug: Simona practiced her net play and Alex got a better paycheck out of the tournament so it wasn't a bad day at the office when all is said and done.
I'm sure it was good practice for both, but not so sure about the paycheck for Alex.

I mean, how much can you get for a loss in R1, in doubles, at a PM? Can that compensate the cancellation fee and what she might have won in a couple of rounds in Osprey?

I was counting on them winning at least R1 when I said it makes sense Alex withdrew from Osprey. Is there any video of their game, highlights or even any kind of extract, so we can get an idea how they work together on the field?

And anyone knows what Alex is planning next in singles, and if they said anything anything about teaming up together in a future tournament?

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I mean, how much can you get for a loss in R1, in doubles, at a PM?
$5,190

Winning a 50k gets you like $7,600. Finalist gets $4,053...

Alex will play Charleston next week. As for doubles she once had a respectable ranking but now we'll only see her at slams and the rare WC. Obviously neither her nor Simona have any interest in doubles. There's no video that I know of but I'm sure it was a trainwreck with many, many missed volleys :lol:

·
7,499 Posts
Thanks for the answer.

I was watching live score on that match, and I had the feeling there were quite some points that took a bit of time, so I was imagining some long volleys... perhaps not all missed.

If those are the money, then I guess it was worth the risk... making in 1 match more than anything less than winning the final in a 50k, after a tiring long week of daily matches perhaps. I wonder what the withdrawal penalty was, if you happen to know that too?

1 - 20 of 1070 Posts