Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Why are there people in here calling Dalila a drama queen. She was a set up and effectively tied, arguably poised to win her match...
She most likely has some sort of reactive airway disease. Probably most players don't have it so they may not be as effected by the smoke but the ones that do, would probably do well on a show court so they can close the roof.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
The whole thing is a terrible advert for Australia. It's about time they cut their 70% reliance on fossil fuels and their huge carbon footprint. This is going to happen again in future years unless they do.
Honestly.... Though I agree Australia should cut emissions (etc) it has very little to do with the current situation. It would be nice if for once people could stay on topic when discussing this important current issue and how TA/ITF/players are addressing/dealing with it.

It would also be nice if people didn't continue their petty arguments with each other on this thread - save them for the usual threads...

Current Air Quality in Melbourne is 315 - 'hazardous' but expected to drop a little by the 11am start of play in just over an hour.

·
La nuit je mens
87,066 Posts
Honestly.... Though I agree Australia should cut emissions (etc) it has very little to do with the current situation.
It has everything to do with current situation. Australia is burning, the planet is getting too hot, billions of animals are being killed. People are dying, people are physically struggling. And nothing is done. Show must go on. Capitalist machine is ready to go and keeps rolling with everyone watching, participating. The whole thing is suicidal.

And half the population seem to eat up the "climate change doesn't exist BS that some governments are throwing up. Those people are probably too afraid of facing the changes needed.

·
Registered
82,825 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
It has everything to do with current situation. Australia is burning, the planet is getting too hot, billions of animals are being killed. People are dying, people are physically struggling.

And half the population seem to eat up the "climate change doesn't exist BS that some governments are throwing up. Those people are probably too afraid of facing the changes needed.
Australia/s emissions and carbon footprint are minor compared to China, USA, India and other polluters, so the post I was quoting which said 'this is going to happen again unless Australia stops' is totally missing the point, Climate change is an argument for another thread - preferably in 'non-tennis'.

I am by no means a climate change denier - I am just saying it's totally irrelevant to the important situation this Grand Slam tournament is CURRENTLY facing. Climate change will still be the #1 issue to planet faces after this tournament is over, but it's hardly relevant to dealing with this TENNIS issue in Melbourne, right NOW..

·
Registered
82,825 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
It has everything to do with current situation. Australia is burning, the planet is getting too hot, billions of animals are being killed. People are dying, people are physically struggling. And nothing is done. Show must go on. Capitalist machine is ready to go and keeps rolling with everyone watching, participating. The whole thing is suicidal.

I think the point they're making is that Australia could go 100% renewables tomorrow and Australia's climate problems wouldn't improve much because it's global warming and the lack of rain is caused largely by changes out in the Indian Ocean. Australia alone cannot cause the drought and high temperatures and subsquent bushfires, the world has caused it and yes that does include the climate change denying contingent that is strong here.

Explainer: what are the underlying causes of Australia's shocking bushfire season?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So it sucked for everyone...
“There was talk of it [the qualifying matches] moving indoors,” said Clarke [Jay Clarke from GB], who later suffered a hip injury and lost in three sets. “But we actually went over to the NTC and it was worse. They have got permanent vents open 🤦‍♀️so when it [the smoke] got in it wasn't able to get out. No players were practising indoors over there, and I ended up warming up outdoors.”

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
The smoke will be gone by next week so everyone saying 'the player with the best lungs will win' needs to stop with the drama.

Hopefully they don't start play today til mid afternoon. The air quality forecasts for the next few days is good so qualifying should still be over by Sunday.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The smoke will be gone by next week so everyone saying 'the player with the best lungs will win' needs to stop with the drama.

Hopefully they don't start play today til mid afternoon. The air quality forecasts for the next few days is good so qualifying should still be over by Sunday.
This. It will be fine in a few days, the rain is meant to come today and tomorrow, that will get a lot of the smoke haze out. If we miss a qualifying round or two so be it. Forecast next week is good actually.

·
63,500 Posts
Reading this thread makes me realise non-Australians have no idea how bad the smoke haze is. You guys are clueless.

Speaking from my experience here in Sydney had the same condition as Melbourne few weeks ago, let me tell you, it was horrible. I can't even imagine to run in this condition. I had to stay indoors at home and work. We even can smell the smoke INSIDE the building where I work.

·
Registered
53,748 Posts
WTA has sent all players in Australia this info:

Air quality recommendations for players

 Check with WTA PHCPs for current Air Quality Index values before practices and matches to follow Air Quality guidelines
 Practice indoors when possible
 Perform fitness training indoors
 Shorten training sessions
 Avoid sight-seeing outside if Air Quality Index value reaches very unhealthy levels
 Use an “activated carbon filter” (ACF) facemask when outside
 ACF facemask’s will be provided at the Australian Open for players – see a WTA PHCP

Lead up to tournament
 Take USANA Mega-antioxidant and BiOmega (containing Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and fish oil) to elevate antioxidant and anti-inflammatory levels.
 Obtain asthma medication if positive for bronchial reactivity.

Pre Match
 Re-test spirometry measurements (specifically target athletes with asthma)
 Increase hydration practices; see a PHCP to determine your hydration status
 Perform a low intensity warmup prior to match

During Match
 Increase on court hydration and take extra drinks on court
 Be prepared to manage possible symptoms on court o Eye drops o Cough drops o Acetaminophen (Tylenol) o Loratadine (Claritin) o Nasal spray o Tissue paper o Sunscreen o Bronchodilators
 Ensure players with known sensitivities have all extra precautions including medications if needed, in their possession when they play their matches
 OPTIONAL: Use an “activated carbon filter” (ACF) facemask that has a disposable filter when playing or practicing outside (facemask manufacturing design specifically for sport participation are needed)

Post Match Recovery
 Increase hydration practices; see a PHCP to determine your hydration status
 If you have any symptoms, consult with a WTA PHCP/Tournament Physician
 Follow WTA guidelines on post match recovery
 Rehydration is paramount
 Remain indoors
 A nasal lavage used after training can reduce the negative effects of particulate matter on upper respiratory function

101 - 120 of 142 Posts