22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
H2H: Nicole leads 4:1

2000-04-10 Amelia Island Clay R32 Nicole Pratt (AUS) 6-1 7-5
2000-11-06 Philadelphia Indoor Carpet R32 Nicole Pratt (AUS) 6-2 7-5
2001-07-30 San Diego Hardcourt R16 Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 6-3 4-1 ret
2002-02-25 Scottsdale Hardcourt R16 Nicole Pratt (AUS) 6-2 6-1
2002-09-16 Tokyo Hardcourt R16 Nicole Pratt (AUS) 6-3 4-6 6-3

The only win Ai has over Nicole was in 2001, when Nicole retired with an injury.

Neither one has done well at the Slams, so I expect their 3rd Rd. encounter to be a war of nerves...

Who do you think will win and how will the match play out?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
As an Aussie I am hoping that Nicole wins. However, if she has to lose, I don't mind it being to Ai who appears to be a really nice person.

I think Nicole may win, she did really well at the AO this year and she seems to have a lot of confidence at the moment. Her belief in herself will help.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
suyigyama had a very tough match agaist razzano in rd 2 which i expected but it was to a non-seeded player. nicole has confidence from her win over farina elia, even though it was 3 sets she took the final set 6-1 plus she beat a seeded player as an unseeded player.

you can never count out Ai but i'll have to go by the record on this one. pratt in 3 sets.

·
Registered
311 Posts
well, i'm gonna go be different and go with Ai. Ai is red hot and has had some big wins lately. Also, I think Ai can adopt better on the hard court, and can mix it up very well. It's been a while since they've played, and i think Ai is playing the better of the two.....if her nerves don't get to her, and she serves well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a bad feeling that Nicole's gonna improve the record to 5-1...

·
Registered
851 Posts
JasonW said:
well, i'm gonna go be different and go with Ai. Ai is red hot and has had some big wins lately. Also, I think Ai can adopt better on the hard court, and can mix it up very well. It's been a while since they've played, and i think Ai is playing the better of the two.....if her nerves don't get to her, and she serves well.
Except for Scotsdale, I think that she did well in other tournaments mainly because she had a lucky string of soft draws...

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...but she still won the 3rd rd. of the US Open, 3/6 6/4 6/3

Well, if she can be a nemesis, playing Schiavone, who bageled her in the their only meeting, should be no problem ;)

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ai must have been dominating if she had 60UFEs and still won.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.