Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been lurking around for quite some time without posting. I finally decided to break that habit; so, here goes.

This thread is really about comments that players make before matches and how funny they become in light of the match results.

I really do not mean to offend anyone and anything I say is really said in jest.

Feel free to make any additions.

I am paraphrasing most of the comments but I believe they are accurate.

Indian Wells '01: V. Williams vs. E. Dementieva
ED: "If she is 100% and I am 100%, I will win for sure"
VW won 6-0, 6-3; neither were @ 100% but this comment is funny in retrospect. VW has won more than 6 titles since that match. ED is yet to win 1.

Pilot Pen '01: V. Williams vs. J. Capriati
JC: "The match at the open is the one that matters"
JC said above after losing 6-4, 7-6 at PP. At the open, she was beaten by an even worse scoreline 6-4, 6-2.

Sanex Chmps '01: S. Williams vs. S. Farina -Elia
SFE: "I haven't played her but I don't think she is as good as Venus"
SFE lost the match 6-0, 6-2.

These are a few that I remember; feel free to contribute.

No flaming please!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, if you create a thread saying everyone who thinks they can beat a Williams is an idiot, it doesn't sound right with the 'no flaming please' part.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Smygelfh....feel free to post any comment made by the Williams before a match they lost! I'm curious actually......

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Before she lost to Jen in WImbledon, Serena said the woman that played Jennifer at the French (and won that one, incidentally as well) was an 'imposter' and that she was in better shape, feeling better, playing better. In fact, Serena spent the least time on court all matches combined going into the QF against Jennifer. She lost like only 10 games (not sure!) in her 4 previous rounds!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I do not really see the point of this thread. It is not as if any player is going to say, "Yeah, I'll probably lose this match" or "I know I lost this one, so I will probably lose the next time we meet as well." These players are putting positive spins on their matches, win or lose. Or at least trying to. One player is going to lose, one will win. What they say is irrelevant

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I think its about maturity. Try reading post match interviews with players and see who is respectful toward their opponents game and who is not.

Seems more than not it's the lower ranked players spouting off at the mouth, while the higher ranked ones let their raquets talk or do have nice things to say about opponents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smygelfh, I find your initial post quite offensive. I cited examples w/ the Williams sisters because I happen to be a fan and naturally, I would follow their matches closely.

If you read my post, you will see that I did not request that contributions be limited to the sisters. I think you are a fan of M. Hingis; you were quite free to make any comments regarding her matches.

I do not believe anything I have written is worth getting upset over because they are true. I don't see anyone refuting that fact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jenny fan, plenty of threads have little or no relevance. If you think the thread is irrelevant, you always have the choice of ignoring it. At least, that's what I usually do.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I actually think this is a great idea for a thread. I don't have any anecdotes to contribute, but think the ones cited by Medusa are pretty funny. I think its all in fun...I'm a BIG venus and serena fan, and I'm sure they have said things before matches that might have seemed silly afterwards. I wouldn't be offended if someone posted them - I might actually laugh.
ruth in philly pa where it is snowing!

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Jenny fan said:
I do not really see the point of this thread. It is not as if any player is going to say, "Yeah, I'll probably lose this match" or "I know I lost this one, so I will probably lose the next time we meet as well." These players are putting positive spins on their matches, win or lose. Or at least trying to. One player is going to lose, one will win. What they say is irrelevant
Personally I hate it when any player, good or bad, says that they expect to win the match or that if they were 100% they would win the match... it just seems so arrogant... i dunno... like i'd rather venus, jen, linds, martian etc... say something nice about their next opponent, who is ranked in the hundreds, than say they are going to beat her!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm not a Williams fan, but early last year at a clay tournament final Meghann Shaughnessy made a comment about how the clay will slow down Venus' shots. After winning only three games, Meghann said she felt 'helpless'.

Of course, there was Jelena Dokic CHALLENGING Martina Hingis as the U.S. open, where she kept saying how sure she was of victory. 6-4, 6-0 she lost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts