Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that's what's reported on Eurosport.
Isn't he trying to get any more practice :confused:

I guess he's training for the mixed with Steffi ;)

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Andre's gonna overtake the Potato after Wimbledon anyway.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Andre's gonna overtake the Potato after Wimbledon anyway.
Is that assuming Lleyton can't defend?

Not that I care, but just curious.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
cos Andre only has 2nd rd pts to come off at Wimby.
Plus i'm sure he won't win this year.

The Peelers are ready to come out in force ;)
(the Potato better not be hiding and making anti-peeling ammo)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
lol
I hope Goran can get a chance to peel him in the 1st round, even better then the latch Goran wants in Wimby ;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheBoiledEgg said:
cos Andre only has 2nd rd pts to come off at Wimby.
Plus i'm sure he won't win this year.

The Peelers are ready to come out in force ;)
(the Potato better not be hiding and making anti-peeling ammo)
I knew this was the time of year where Hewitt was defending a lot of points but still I'm a bit surprised how many he really is defending.

With points earned last year until after Wimbledon, this would be the result:

Agassi 3615
Hewitt 2720 :eek:

Meaning Hewitt will have some major catching up to do being about 900 points behind.

Though I still thing Hewitt will pick up more points during this stretch to come (He's playing Hamburg and Queens on top the two majors Andre seems to be playing), it won't most likely be enough to keep Agassi from the no 1. spot after Wimbledon.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
i'm not surprised. i hope his strategy pays off at RG.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
LMAO at Baldy! what an idiot.

Also Marat withdrew too..

Agassi withdraws from Hamburg Masters

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) - Andre Agassi withdrew Friday from next week's Hamburg Masters Series.

``I am very disappointed that Agassi is not coming, although he had given us a written pledge,'' tournament director Walter Knapper said. ``I can't understand that and neither can the fans.''

Knapper said Agassi pulled out without giving any reasons.

The 33-year-old Agassi briefly took over the No. 1 ranking from Lleyton Hewitt, but in his first match since becoming the oldest man to lead the rankings, lost to David Ferrer in the first round of the Italian Open this week.

The Hamburg Masters will also be missing former No. 1 Pete Sampras and last year's finalist Marat Safin, who withdrew because of a wrist injury.

The clay court tournament is a major warm-up for the French Open, which starts May 26.

05/09/03 07:44 EDT

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
First things first. I hope Andre isn't injured or doesn't have family problems. And I admire him for all the good charity work he does. I am a pround memeber of many great charitable organizations, so I respect and appreciate the work that Andre does and the great amount of money he raises to help people. :D And especially kids.

But Agassi lets another tournament down he commited to play! :( I think I've lost count over the years as to how many tournaments he has withdrawn from. He has to have set the all time record! :eek: And alot of those withdrawals are bogus. I don't blame the tournament director for being "very dissapointed" at Agassi's withdrawal after he had sent the tournament director a written pledge to play in Hamburg.

TC says she's not surprised by Andre's late withdrawal from Hamburg. And refers to it as a strategy. And she's right. Andre is the master strategist when it comes to withdrawing from tournaments. He seems to have the innate ability to turn it on and off.

But I don't remember great players in the past such as Borg, Connors, McEnroe(John), Becker, Wilander and Edberg withdrawing from tournaments the way Andre has. I must day as much as I like Agassi, I respect those former champions even more than Andre because they didn't withdraw from tournaments at the last second the way Andre has.

And I would like to see Agassi play Sampras one more time in a grand slam! :bounce: But not Roland Garros! ;)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
family problems? Andre? you mean Steffi still hasn't gotten over his decision to shave their son's head for the third time? :eek: :p

i agree with your assessment of Andre on this particular issue. i think that part of the problem is the hefty fines he has paid in the past for no-showing. it's easier (or at least cheaper) apparently to fly to Italy, bagel your opponent in the first set just to show him who is boss, tank the two remaining sets, and fly back to the US and make love to the woman in my avatar. assuming that she isn't still pissed off with him...:p

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Thanks for agreeing with me TC darlin'! :kiss: That doesn't seem to happen too often! ;) The cat jumps into TC's lap for some gentle petting! :hearts: Hmmm. Those 2 glasses of White Wine have made me frisky tonight! :bounce:

Andre Agassi certainly does things his own way. He plays by his own rules. But he ,akes it work. Where will men's tennis be when he retires or suffers a lengthy injury? :eek:

And I eagerly await the Andre Agassi - Steffi Graf mixed doubles team in the upcoming French Open! :D I just hope Steffi doesn't put the kabosh on it by deciding not to play afterall. :(

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
ok then...fine...i will take you off my fantasy team! be that way!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
*strokes the Cat's er...head :lick: :lick:

here's the latest on the aftermath of Baldy's aBandonment...

'Extremely disappointed'

Agassi's withdrawal from Hamburg displeases organizers

Posted: Friday May 09, 2003 6:03 PM

BERLIN, May 9 (Reuters) -- World No. 1 Andre Agassi has pulled out of the Hamburg Masters Series ATP tournament starting on Monday, infuriating event organizers.

"I am extremely disappointed," tournament director Walter Knapper said after learning on Friday that Agassi would not play.

Knapper said he had not been informed of Agassi's withdrawal and did not know the reason for it. He found out that the American was not playing after seeing his name crossed out on an internal start list.

"We will say what we think about this at the end of the tournament," Knapper said after receiving confirmation from the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) that Agassi had pulled out.

Agassi, who has made an early exit from this week's Rome Masters, was expected to come to Hamburg to complete his preparations for the French Open starting on May 26.

His withdrawal came as a further blow to the organizers after local hope and former world top-three player Tommy Haas pulled out, saying he needed more time to recover from shoulder surgery.

i wonder what Steffi thinks about this...?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts