Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ndre Agassi has split with his coach Brad Gilbert after an eight-year relationship that saw him win six Grand Slam titles and become the world number one.

"Brad is clearly the greatest coach of all time," Agassi said in a joint statement.

"I have been lucky to have him as my guiding force during the past eight years of my career.

"More importantly, I am lucky that I have been able to call him friend for eight years and that our friendship remains intact."

Gilbert called his years with Agassi one of the highlights of his 22 years in professional tennis.

"After eight amazing years, we have decided on equal terms to end our professional coaching status and remain the best of friends," he said.

"It was a beautiful opportunity, which blossomed into one of the most successful player/coach relationships both on and off the tour.

"I look forward to staying in tennis for many years to come and wish Andre continued success.

"It has been an honour and a privilege just to watch him play."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow. Any news of what precipitated the split?

Did they just have professional differences?

Does this relate to Agassi's new status as a father and, thus, signal a significantly reduced committment to tennis?

Did Gilbert have a chance to coach someone else, which he didn't want to pass up, in light of the likelyhood that Agassi will not be around for a large number of years, even if he does plan to stay active in tennis during the short run?

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Andre calls it quits at the US open, if not sooner if the wrist is really bad :(

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
if he planned to retire why would he split with Brad first then, I mean they claim they split in friendship so when Andre would retire soon then they could have stayed together for the last months . but then I also read that Gil also has another job now so maybe I am wrong:confused:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Has Gilbert received an offer to coach some young star?
Like Safin, Federer or Roddick? Maybe Ferrero or even Kuerten?
I don't see any other explanation for that..

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
I agree with Lindsayfan, there is no reason for this and I'm getting really worried about this wrist injury, I don't think Andre's going to be around for much longer and I think Gilbert's had another offer and he knows that Andre won't be playing too much longer, so he's decided to take it.

It's just amazing though with first Pete and his coach, Lleyton and his coach and now this, it seems like everyone is changing coach these days.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
If you have nothing Constructive to say, then fuck off Scottso.

I think Andre will not play again, or will play maybe 1 or 2 tournaments in his home state then call it all quits.

I truly belief he was gonna give it all this year and call it quits anyway, this is just such a terrible way for it to end for a great champion and a great ambassador of the sport :(. I think most TENNIS FANS, had visions of Andre and Pete having a great year in what is definately their swan songs. Lets hope his injury will allow him to at least say goodbye at the US at least and in an appropiate fashion :)

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Moron?..Darling there are us Morons and cocksucking termites..guess what category you fit into :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts