Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROME -- Andre Agassi lost the No. 1 ranking Monday with a 0-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4 loss to unheralded David Ferrer of Spain in the first round of the Italian Open.

The match was Agassi's first since he became the oldest man to lead the rankings. Lleyton Hewitt will regain the top spot next week.

The 33-year-old Agassi cruised through the first set in just 24 minutes. But the 60th-ranked Ferrer started holding serve in the second set, and Agassi's command began to slip away.

In the final set, Ferrer forced Agassi to hit into the net on break point to go up 5-4. Agassi's four unforced errors allowed Ferrer to serve out the match.

Agassi came in with a 23-1 match record and four titles this year, including the Australian Open for his eighth career Grand Slam tournament championship.

A week ago, Agassi rallied to beat Andy Roddick in the final of the U.S. men's clay-court championships, giving him enough points to surpass Hewitt. Agassi hadn't been No. 1 since Sept. 10, 2000, when he was replaced by Pete Sampras.

Hewitt and Sampras both withdrew from the Italian Open. Hewitt indicated he wants more time to rest before preparing for the French Open, which starts May 26. Sampras hasn't played since beating Agassi in the U.S. Open final in September.

In other action Monday, 15th-seeded Guillermo Coria beat Tim Henman 6-2, 6-1, seventh-seeded Albert Costa defeated Zeljko Krajan 6-4, 7-5, Ivan Ljubicic topped Xavier Malisse 6-2, 6-4, and Mardy Fish eliminated Fabrice Santoro 7-5, 7-5.

Sixth-seeded Marat Safin pulled out Monday with a sore wrist.

·
Registered
26,095 Posts
What a pitty:rolleyes: I need to cry:sad:
IN MY ASS!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts