Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat Cash says new world No.1 Andre Agassi has singlehandedly saved men's tennis.

Agassi celebrated his 33rd birthday and overtook Lleyton Hewitt this week to become the oldest player to hold the top ranking.

"Agassi really is something special, isn't he? A sportsman who is also a showman," Cash, Australia's last Wimbledon champion before Hewitt's triumph last year, told British newspaper the Daily Telegraph.

"Hewitt's a good player but, personality-wise, he's not everybody's cup of tea, whereas everyone loves Agassi.

"Since John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Boris Becker departed the scene, I often think Agassi has saved men's tennis singlehandedly."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sport/story_34109.asp

OK, so the source is a tad suspect but didja'll really think i could resist posting this? :p

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Whoa...what happened to your ex in this statement (you know who I'm talking about; the guy you almost blew yourself up in the microwave over)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
his big fat tongue turned out to be a turn-off. go figure...:eek: :eek:

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
I can't really take anything Pat Cash says seriously....

But he's right if what he's trying to say is that Agassi is the game's most marketable player. Whether that is "saving" men's tennis, I do not know. Certainly it's not hurting...

I wonder what lleyton thinks of being rather slighted by cash....

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Hmmm...more fire to the growing belief that the NB generation is doing shyt.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I'm not surprised Cash does not like Lleyton seeing as Lleyton was (if I recall correctly) the first and possibly only male player to attack Cash over his stupid obnoxious "shot putter" comment. I think Lleyton's comment was something like "Lindsay looks great and besides she has 2 more slams than Cashy".
Onya Lleyton.

·
Registered
196 Posts
King Lindsay said:
I can't really take anything Pat Cash says seriously....

But he's right if what he's trying to say is that Agassi is the game's most marketable player. Whether that is "saving" men's tennis, I do not know. Certainly it's not hurting...

I wonder what lleyton thinks of being rather slighted by cash....
I agree with you on not taking Cash seriously... but Agassi being most marketable? Hmm... I agree he is probably the most well-spoken out of the lot of them.. but his bald head puts me off ... take nothing away from his tennis game tho...
I'd think Lleyton would be more marketable... I agree he can be controversial at times but...I dun see many kids shaving their heads and wanting to be like Andre... but I see lots of kids with their caps backward wanting to be like Lleyton though...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Being marketable has nothing to do with people wanting to be like you. It has everything to do with people LIKING you. I think that right now Agassi is the best thing to men's tennis, what with inconsistent new balls kids, the no1 or 2 suing the tour. A-A brings consistency, class and charisma

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Can anyone take Cash seriosly I was not aware that Mens tennis needed saving, perhaps Cash still cant stand the fact that overall womens tennis seems to be more popular (doubles final get more then Mens singles LOL)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
"but Agassi being most marketable?"

even when the person who wrote this article is an annoying bandwagoner. there is no doubt andre is the most marketable player of the last 15 years(not sure about the generation of borg and mac). and people wanted to be like andre too especially when he was young and hairy. there was even a look a like contest once in the tennismagazine. (that said there is a pic with hewee and all little hewee's next to him)
hewee is maybe more marketable in australia but andre is over the whole world. I never saw hewee in a commecial here. here we have to see how andre saves his head every hour;)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
irma said:
"but Agassi being most marketable?"

even when the person who wrote this article is an annoying bandwagoner. there is no doubt andre is the most marketable player of the last 15 years(not sure about the generation of borg and mac). and people wanted to be like andre too especially when he was young and hairy. there was even a look a like contest once in the tennismagazine. (that said there is a pic with hewee and all little hewee's next to him)
hewee is maybe more marketable in australia but andre is over the whole world. I never saw hewee in a commecial here. here we have to see how andre saves his head every hour;)
I've seen it too ;)

Do you remember those Nike à la Agassi outfits that everyone was wearing early 90s? Terrible :eek:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
yeah those days I found that really sexy;) (he I was 13)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
other colors too and white at wimbledon;)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
then a lot of players suddenly wore them till the baggy shorts became hot (but I am not sure andre was the one started that, might have been petey too)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
despite the bashing and puking he occasionally attracts on this board, Andre is widely loved all over the world. he has always been considered "Mr. Personality" and attracted huge endorsement deals at a time when tennis players were not getting that kind of dosh. so yes i consider him, even at 33, to be more marketable than some of the up-and-comers.

i hope i get to see him live at least once more before he retires.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Irrespective whether I like AA or not, he's definitely the best marketable tennis player. Back in the days when I was indifferent to tennis, Agassi was the name I and my friends knew very well. I could recognise his name immediately, whereas needed to think before I say who was Sampras. So here you go.

My mom who never follows tennis and watched zilch matches still knows only 3 names from tennis world: Graf, Agassi and Kournikova ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts