Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah I know we keep talking about Alex and her resurgence in the game but that she is still lacking inconsistency.

So if Alex is inconsistent but winning matches like she is in Memphis right now, what exactly is it that she is doing right and wrong?

Right now she is up 4-1 against a young Korean player, but seems to be struggling in every game.

I have not seen her play this year so I am curious what her game is like right now compared to say this time last year.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Patience. Discipline. Time. She serves and volleys. Tough game to master. Navratilova won her first GS at 23.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Volcana - I'm surprised you didn't mention weight. ;)

(my bad)

I agree about the time thing. Hopefully she'll stay injury free too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Go Alex!

Alex still needs a lot of work. Obviously, she is doing well this year as her ranking has dramatically improved.

As an Alex fan, I would say her biggest issue is fitness. She has to watch her weight and needs to keep that cardiovascular work up. It takes a lot of energy to sprint to the net after every serve. Sometimes, she doesn't get there quick enough. Her footwork gets very, very sloppy when she gets tight and late in the third set. Improving footwork, quickness and endurance should be her goals here.

I would also like to see her develop a wickedly precise back hand down the line ALA Sampras. She does strike a big ball (especially forehand) but it could be cleaner - take some pointers from Lindsay.

Alex also needs to improve on playing defense. Increased fitness would help here. I wish she could hit more winners on the run.

Lastly, I agree with Volcana - she needs time. A topnotch serve and volley game takes a while to develop. She is getting there.

Go alex!

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
veronica thanks for that great update for me. I was wondering if she had improved her fitness or not and I take it she still has a way to go in that department.

But she does seem to have confidence back and that at least is getting her through matches she used to lose.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Agree with the above mentioned comments and think ALex is actually doing great. She is winning her matches and gaining alot of confidence. Fitness/footwork/working points and making fewer errors will only come in time. I really expect her to reach the top 20 this year. She will do it.. go ALEX!

Right now what she needs to do she is doing... she is ok imho.:)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well dawn marie she squeaked out another three set match today against Talaja so she is still doing something right even if she is having laspes and losing sets.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Jakeev all top players have lapses and sometimes squeak bye... but the key factor is she didn't give up. She remained mentally in the match and pulled out the win. Actually when she was ON she clearly dominated. 6/1 in like 15 minutes. That is impressive:) I mean she has work to do.. but I think it is coming around prety fast imho.

You know it is gonna take sometime for that serv'n'volley game to really develop and take it's toll on the top players. LOL

Actually she is winning matches which is helping her confidence.. she still does need alot of work. But I can somehow feel it.. she is doing all the right things to become a great tennis champion. I wouldn't be surprised if she won Memphis, but then again wouldn't be trippin if she lost the next round either. She'll only get better imho. Many people said that Mirjana would become a better player and make a better comeback then ALexandra and I always said nope.. ALexandra will be the better player. ALexandra just has that fire imho.. and a good support system. She'll be in top 20 before the year is out barring injury.. :) Imho players better be looking out for ALex cause a serv"n"volley game is great to watch and hard to beat when it's on. Not to mention that one hand backhand. Many peopel said Venus wouldn't do a thing.. well when it comes to ALex I hope they finally woke up. ALexandra is the real deal!!:)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well dawn, I don't necessarily think all of her three-set matches are a problem. In fact, I think the match play is actually good for her.

Her last three matches has proven that she is battling and competing and this can only be a positive for her once she begins playing the top twenty more often.

Alex is definitely the one woman out there back on the rise.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Agree with you again Jakeev:)

And sofiane mtl I disagree. We don't KNOW Samatha .. only what the brainswashing media tell us. And one thing is for sure and that is Sam and ALex are mother and daughter and that is a good thing. They love each other. Right now I think ALex's support system is good for her.

She is on the rise:)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
When i watched her matches in Linz last year(on Telly) i saw a LOT of potensial.She had a great forehand and a big sereve but her backhand was most of the time weak and her volleyies brittle.
Her fitness was lacking and her footwork:eek:.But her main problem was she didn't really have a game pland she just hit the ball and thats it.At the time i think her kother was her coach :eek: :rolleyes: But over christmas she got a proper coach?
Well anyway if she worked on her fitness first her footwork would become better.Her backhand could improved by intense practice sessions and her vollies will develop with time.

After her win over Jenny i was shoked that she was seeing improvemnts so early!

Now she back up to 34 in the rankings!:) :D :bounce: and she can climb much higher!!!!!!!!!!At least top 20!

I say it all beggins here her first tourney win would be great and the start of the second phase of her career!

Good luck to Alex i will be supporting her!:)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may be wrong but isn't Samantha actually taking more of a backseat in her daughter's career right now? In fact, she has seemed relatively quite in the media.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Jakeev I agree it seems that Sam is finally getting use to the WTA tour herself. Sometimes parents find it hard to adjust and maybe Sam finally realized she should shutup . Let Alex's racket do all the talking instead.

You know sometimes when your a single mom you tend to be clingy and a bit too controlling over your only child. Sam is not the first parent nor the last to get verbal with their child's tennis career.

Anyhow Alex is doing faboulous so far this year.:)

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I think she has notched up a lot of wins this year already, right?

Victory over Jen Cap and Amanda Coetzer...

Can somebody tell me her win-loss record this year including qualies?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,316 Posts
Here's Alex's 2002 results inculding qualifiers...

Gold Coast, Australia
December 31, 2001
Surface: Hardcourt
Round Opponent W/L Score
R32 Elena Likhovtseva (RUS) L 2-6 6-1 4-6
Win/Loss: 0/1

Sydney, Australia
January 07, 2002
Round Opponent W/L Score
Q1 Sabine Klaschka (GER) W 6-2 1-6 6-3
Q2 Melissa Dowse (AUS) W 6-3 1-6 6-1
Q3 Adriana Gersi (CZE) W 6-1 6-1
R32 Iroda Tulyaganova (UZB) W 6-1 6-7(0) 7-5
R16 Jennifer Capriati (USA) W 7-6(5) 3-6 6-4
QF Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) L 4-6 1-6
Win/Loss: 5/2

Australian Open at Melbourne, Australia
January 14, 2002
Round Opponent W/L Score
R128 Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) L 7-6(5) 2-6 5-7
Win/Loss: 5/3

Tokyo, Japan
January 28, 2002
Surface: Indoor Carpet
Round Opponent W/L Score
Q1 Liezel Huber (RSA) W 6-3 5-7 6-2
Q2 Asa Svensson (SWE) W 6-2 6-4
Q3 Wynne Prakusya (INA) W 7-6(5) 6-4
R32 Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) W 6-1 6-4
R16 Amanda Coetzer (RSA) W 4-6 6-0 7-6(3)
QF Monica Seles (USA) L 6-7(9) 6-7(9)
Win/Loss: 10/4

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
February 18, 2002
Surface: Indoor Hardcourt
Round Opponent W/L Score
R32 Vera Zvonareva (RUS) W 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(5)
R16 Yoon Jeong Cho (KOR) W 6-2 4-6 6-3
QF Silvija Talaja (CRO) W 6-1 4-6 6-2
SF Alina Jidkova (RUS) W 6-1 6-2
Win/Loss: 14/4

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
She's in the Memphis final.

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
after watching her play in memphis, I will say she is hitting extreme pace and coming into the net and volleying very well ans serving big with a textbook service motion. I would suggest that she mix in more topspin as she misses at times going for a huge shot and continue to workout to tone up and maybe lose 5 pounds.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A 14-5 record is not a bad start to the year for Alex. In fact, it's her best start ever in her career.

She has a tremendous chance against Amy Frazier in the first round and it could be Jennifer who has to worry if they face each other in the second round.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Yep.. the key is that Alex is taking baby steps to make a huge impact. Here's hoping that Alexandra can do well in Scottsdale.:) Jakeev I agree with you and you too Anton.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts