Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
:eek: She is defending 375 points at those 2 tournaments, so why is she not playing? She won't have a chance at the number 1 ranking until Wimbledon ends at this rate. I suppose she is trying to peak for RG ;) :D

Martina is playing Hamburg... tough competition for Venus on clay!! :D :bounce:

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
It does seem a bit bizarre. But, the past couple of years she has started off the season really well and then tired herself out. So, perhaps she's trying to schedule differently so that that doesn't happen. I think it's positive, because it shows that she's concerned more with winning tournaments than getting the #1 ranking back again.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
R u sure?

I read in an interview after the AO that she's planning to play the 3 US hardcourt tournaments AND 1 green clay tournament before heading to Europe. Or has she changed her plans since? :confused:

Anyway I hope she plays Charleston...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Saki: Martina always does well again at the year end indoor tournaments. I hope that when she altered her schedule, she did pace the tournaments out well :) But it is true that she seems tired out in the middle of the year sometimes, so I guess it's a good move.

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
I agree, even though I'm not a fan of Martina, she is making a very smart move.

"This temporary inconvienence will result in a permanent improvement"

That's a fave quote of mine and it sure does apply to Hingis here.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
A little surprised yes, but between Melanie and Martina I'm sure the discussion will be about titles and Slams (and how best to prepare Martina in the pursuit of) rather than #1 ranking.

I don't really want Martina near the #1 until she's beaten Venus and Jen.

·
14,092 Posts
these are really surprsing moves from martina but a good one for that matter, she probably learned from what happened in the past...so now she's taking more time off to improve her game, men, i really hope she improves her serve...:) and i hope this works out the way she wants to...;)

:wavey:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually Martina plays Charleston every other year, and she played there last year, so I am not surprised at all.

I like her schedule and hope it works out fine. :)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Williams_Rulez - yes, you're right about Martina doing well at the end of the year. But she really does seem to tire out during the hardcourt season, and I'm not convinced that she's ever played up to her potential at RG (maybe 1997).

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Seems to me she has adopted a Venus and Serena Strategy. Smart move. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
27,123 Posts
I knew she was skipping Amelia island but didn't realise she was going to skip her final appearance in Charleston. Interesting. Well, it will give Venus considerably more competition than she had last year to defend her Hamburg title against.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It is possible she felt a lot of pressure at #1 when people were constantly saying she didn't deserve it. She may feel she needs a Slam title before she focuses on the top ranking again. She knows her schedule can keep her Top 5 (especially with Lindsay, Kim and Serena injured so much lately).

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
She's finally realizing that to play less may increase your chances at a Slam.:) Venus and Serena are really imho setting trends and people are following them.

They are changing the face of women's tennis... thats for sure. Anyhow goodluck Hingis.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She isn't playing less, she will pick up one in scottsdale and 1 in eastbourne, at least..She is just scheduling different

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
It's definitely a good move. Apparently she has learned she has to forget about the rankings and concentrate on doing well at the slams, and she knows that of the 3 remaining slams the FO is by far her best shot.

I deeply disagreed last year when she chose to play those tournaments, they are somehow dettached from the rest of the tour, normally the tournaments have a value not only by the touranment itself but also as a preparation for the most important events (the Grand Slams of course) and that's why there are normally a serie of events on the same surface before each Gs. Somehow, Amelie Island and FCC are only events to pick up points, since no other touranaments are played on green clay (Saratosa is but it doesn't count), it's true there are not many events on grass but there is one that counts: Wimbledon.

I think she definitely realized that overscheduling wasn't helping her, she skipped Dubai and Doha where she was defending champion points and now will skip those two tournaments. That definitely excludes her from the # 1 ranking race until at least after Wimbledon, but she knows that if she wins a GS the # 1 ranking will come as a natural consequence, not the other way around.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Adrian,

how do u know that martina is playing at eastbourne? i truly hope that u are right, cause i've always wanted martina to play eastbourne - IMO that would be much better practice than going straight to Wimbledon from Roland Garros....

GO MARTINA!!!!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
98 and 00 she had this scheudle, is this really big news?

She plays Family Circle Cup every other year and it is no big surprise she is dropping it this year and last year she entered Amelia Island as she was desperate to hang on to the #1.

So really this is nothing new and people who have been following tennis for a # of years would know that.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Yes, i also thought that it was fairly obvious that she alternates her schedule every year. I would be willing to bet that in 2003 she plays charleston, berlin and rome skipping hamburg...

I really do hope that she is committed to playing at eastbourne this year though - i've wanted her to do that for quite some time now!

GO MARTINA!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts