Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Martic looked done physically at 4-3 in the first set, so I get it. But Barty just isn't the perfect human being some want to see in her, and she probably just had enough.

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
Barty's too good for Vika anyway, glad she's starting to realise it.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,376 Posts
Petra looked totally wiped out vs Elina, I can absolutely understand her pulling out of doubles following that loss.

On the other hand, Ash pulling out of doubles following her loss to Alison Riske, is disappointing. I am a big fan of Ash and mostly I'd say Ash does the right thing both on and off the court, but I can't defend this decision.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Martic was injured so that is fair. Barty used the sore arm to pull out of the doubles semi-final at Birmingham but then won the final and played Wimbledon just fine. She had no injury time out during her singles loss. I feel sorry for Azarenka. Barty is yet to win doubles at Wimbledon, so this could have been a chance, though her doubles results recently have not been what they have been in the past.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Feel bad for Vika, Barty didn't seem injured. Petra on the other hand was.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
These girls are just weak. It shows again and again that Martina N. is the best player of the open era, staying at least 200 weeks at the top of both rankings and sweeping singles, doubles & mixed left and right.

Interestingly, other players who withdrew from the doubles include Vondrousova, who played both Martic and Barty in later stages of RG, and it’s been just reported that after her long RG run she has a wrist inflammation that needs to be healed.

Oddly enough, Vondrousova was scheduled to play with her friend Muchova, who has thus saved some energy and is having a great run herself at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I thought Barty/Azarenka had a chance to win the trophy.
Disappointed that they pulled out. There must have been a physical problem.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Barty has done this a few times now, withdrawn from dubs when going deeper in singles or in this case out of the tournament in singles. I think she and her team just wanted to head home after a long season in Europe which makes sense and is fair enough, but even i'm not buying into this supposed arm injury... the same one that took her out of Strasbourg but was fine to win every RG match. :lol:

She's not the only one, either. I just think that it saves everyone the trouble - if you're not willing to play both disciplines until the end of the draw, then don't sign up for both. It disrupts the doubles draw... certain teams getting walkovers while others are playing two matches in one day etc.

Martic actually DID seem injured in her match, but then again she's not a perfect player either (her showing up to slams and retiring just to collect her paycheque is one of the big reasons they invented that Tatishvili/Tomic rule).

PS the doubles draw is actually holding up this tournament! 7 of the top 8 seeds are still in it. :) Although we'll see how Strycova goes playing her singles QF and her doubles match the same day.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Barty has done this a few times now, withdrawn from dubs when going deeper in singles or in this case out of the tournament in singles. I think she and her team just wanted to head home after a long season in Europe which makes sense and is fair enough, but even i'm not buying into this supposed arm injury... the same one that took her out of Strasbourg but was fine to win every RG match. :lol:
Yes, Barty does pull this stunt a lot. It affects the scheduling and its unfair to the other players.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Barty...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Martic said after the loss she injured her back at 3-3 first set yesterday.
Anybody watching the match would have noticed it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts