Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZURICH, Switzerland -- Martina Hingis, the former top player on the women's tennis circuit, says she is enjoying life outside the tough world of professional sport and focusing on her private life -- which includes England soccer star Sol Campbell.

Hingis, who played her first competitive match since 2002 last week in Pattaya, Thailand, said in an interview published Tuesday with the weekly magazine Schweizer Illustrierte that she has no plans to return full-time to the tour, but will continue to play in exhibition matches and charity events.
"I have a very good life and enjoyed all the freedom over the last two years," the 24 year-old Swiss said, according to the magazine. "I am no longer 16 or 17, and I am no longer prepared to concentrate solely on world class sport."
Hingis -- who lost Feb. 1 in her comeback bid against German Marlene Weingartner 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 -- said she was surprised by how much women's tennis had developed in her absence and that it would be difficult for her to compete with the new athletes dominating the sport.

"What was good enough two years ago, doesn't do it anymore. Now, my size puts me at a disadvantage," she said.

Martina Hingis says she has enjoyed her freedom outside tennis the past two years.

Quizzed over her rumored relationship with Campbell, 30, Hingis said she enjoys the company of the England and Arsenal central defender. But, pressed by the magazine on whether Campbell is her "new love," she said: "That's too strong a word."

"I like Sol a lot and we see each other whenever possible, but he has many matches and I have my appointments as well," she said. "It is not easy for us both."

Hingis and Campbell reportedly first met at a gala gathering hosted by the United Nations in London in December. Both are goodwill ambassadors for the world body.

Hingis reportedly broke up that month with Stefan Egger, a Swiss sports entrepreneur and restaurant owner.

Other previous boyfriends have included Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia and Florida Assistant State Attorney Christopher Calkin, who in 2001 successfully prosecuted a man who had stalked Hingis at her homes and at tournaments around the world.

Hingis was 22 when she retired in 2002 after operations on both ankles. The five-time Grand Slam singles champion was the youngest player to reach No. 1 at the age of 16 years and six months. She won a combined 76 singles and doubles titles during her career.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
tennisjunky said:
ZURICH, Switzerland -- Martina Hingis, the former top player on the women's tennis circuit, says she is enjoying life outside the tough world of professional sport and focusing on her private life -- which includes England soccer star Sol Campbell.

Hingis, who played her first competitive match since 2002 last week in Pattaya, Thailand, said in an interview published Tuesday with the weekly magazine Schweizer Illustrierte that she has no plans to return full-time to the tour, but will continue to play in exhibition matches and charity events.
"I have a very good life and enjoyed all the freedom over the last two years," the 24 year-old Swiss said, according to the magazine. "I am no longer 16 or 17, and I am no longer prepared to concentrate solely on world class sport."
Hingis -- who lost Feb. 1 in her comeback bid against German Marlene Weingartner 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 -- said she was surprised by how much women's tennis had developed in her absence and that it would be difficult for her to compete with the new athletes dominating the sport.

"What was good enough two years ago, doesn't do it anymore. Now, my size puts me at a disadvantage," she said.

Martina Hingis says she has enjoyed her freedom outside tennis the past two years.

Quizzed over her rumored relationship with Campbell, 30, Hingis said she enjoys the company of the England and Arsenal central defender. But, pressed by the magazine on whether Campbell is her "new love," she said: "That's too strong a word."

"I like Sol a lot and we see each other whenever possible, but he has many matches and I have my appointments as well," she said. "It is not easy for us both."

Hingis and Campbell reportedly first met at a gala gathering hosted by the United Nations in London in December. Both are goodwill ambassadors for the world body.

Hingis reportedly broke up that month with Stefan Egger, a Swiss sports entrepreneur and restaurant owner.

Other previous boyfriends have included Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia and Florida Assistant State Attorney Christopher Calkin, who in 2001 successfully prosecuted a man who had stalked Hingis at her homes and at tournaments around the world.

Hingis was 22 when she retired in 2002 after operations on both ankles. The five-time Grand Slam singles champion was the youngest player to reach No. 1 at the age of 16 years and six months. She won a combined 76 singles and doubles titles during her career.
She's gonna have a boyfriend list as long as her titles list. But Sol Campbell is seriously hot. :hearts: Seriously, though, it would be very hard for her to compete I think, especially if she isn't willing to train 100%.

·
Registered
994 Posts
tennisjunky said:
she was surprised by how much women's tennis had developed in her absence and that it would be difficult for her to compete with the new athletes dominating the sport.

Size didn't stop Justine Henin-Hardenne from being #1 six months ago. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
tennisjunky said:
..."What was good enough two years ago, doesn't do it anymore. Now, my size puts me at a disadvantage," she said.
All the more reason to return to the standard size frame. All shapes and sizes of people can win- the sport isn't as easy and the more talented the player, the more successful the tennis results.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think if she had the right mindset and was up for the challenge she could be a top ten contender. i guess it was true, she just couldn't hang with the game. todays current game has passed her by, luckily she came up when she did otherwise she might not have accomplished half of what she did. good timing is everything.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I think for Martina, she is at a different stage of her life and the break have made her realized that after spending all her childhood and teenage years totally focused on tennis there is a whole world out there besides tennis. Plus I don't think she wants to put in the long hours of training and dedication anymore because without that she doesn't stand a chance. Moreover her nemesises are still playing plus the others who are up and coming. From her comments it appears she is ready to move on and her fans should listen to what she is saying and accept the reality and move on also.

I am not a fan of hers due mainly to disparaging comments she has made about numerous players but I guess I consider myself mature enough to put it in them under youthful indiscreation.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Martina's size has never been an advantage, I don't know why she says "now my size is a disadvantage" because it always was.

I think the real reason behind it is that her heart isn't in it, and she doesn't want to put in the months of hard work it would take to get back to her previous level.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
wise move, it's been five years since Lindsay won a major title, and she's huge! Martina has no desire to get back to the playground that is the WTA tour, and get smacked around, been there done that, she has the t-shirts and five slam trophies as proof.

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
Asmus said:
Size didn't stop Justine Henin-Hardenne from being #1 six months ago. :rolleyes:
Yes and where is Justine now ?

Martina's already had her career threatening injury, I'm sure she doesn't want another.

The woman has a new life and doesn't need the money.

I can't see much of an incentive to return to the tour from where I'm sitting.

Good luck to her.

·
Banned
322 Posts
she was sure she was never come back before pattaya and did. she'll play a few exos and do well and someone will win a slam surprisingly and she'll start thinking "i'm 24 and better than them, maybe i should come back".

if she doesn't, however, it is good to see her doing work to help others and in the end that is more important.

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
While you have to admire the work she's doing now, I'm disappointed in Martina. She kept saying how much she missed the tour, how it would take a "medical miracle" for her to come back, and how much she would relish the opportunity to do so. Her foot finally starts to cooperate with her, she makes a comeback and then what does she do? She loses one match and that's it. End of comeback. She never even so much as mentioned her foot acting up. She just said "It's too hard."

She's not willing to fight, plain and simple. Everything in her career came so easily for her, which is exactly the problem now. She tore up through the juniors, turned pro and cracked the top 20 in her DEBUT YEAR, before waltzing through to the #1 ranking and countless tournament wins/Grand Slam titles. That's all amazing, but the issue is that when all those things go away and she has to actually dig deep and fight a la Jennifer Capriati, she's not willing to. I think Martina is afraid of the hard work needed to come back.

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
In the end, Martina is still more scared of losing matches (regularly) than she loves tennis or the competition. During her glory days, she didn't need to be too concerned about this fear, but now it's a reality and she rather avoid it all together (with the tennis) than face it. I don't blame her, b/c that's what I would do too. :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess it's wrong to expect more from champions but i do. i wish she just would have kept with the 'foot excuse' now i cant respect her, she's simply afraid. i dont hold it against her that she's afraid of the competition, but now i really question why she left in the first place. people always speculated it was only in part because of her injury and mostly because of a loss of confidence. it now seems as though there may be some truth to that theory. how ever will she live without my respect? i hope she knows she can kiss her chances of ever being on a wheaty box goodbye.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hingis, as a former number one, 5 time GS winner and dominant player on the tour did the right thing retiring. She was being beaten in all the big finals and her injuries affected her matchplay and conditioning so that she began getting beaten in the early rounds too. She knew that the stronger girls were going to dominate and wisely bowed out before she became tour bridesmaid. If you look at Venus, such a role doesn't do any wonders for your on court confidence.
She is doing the right thing now too, having been beaten in Thailand by a decent but not spectacular player. She will gain a lot of publicity and money if she returns but how will she deal with reliving the sad reason why she left? What's the point? She's proven everything she needed to anyway.
Stay away from the tour Martina. You've found a worthier cause, and you know it!

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
thelittlestelf said:
Martina's size has never been an advantage, I don't know why she says "now my size is a disadvantage" because it always was.

I think the real reason behind it is that her heart isn't in it, and she doesn't want to put in the months of hard work it would take to get back to her previous level.
Yes, it has always been a disadvantage, but I think it's even more so now, with power hitting pretty being all there is to the women's game.

Mind you, I still think she certainly has the talent and the racketwork to be in the top 10 or 20, or maybe even top 5, but I'm not sure if that's good enough for her. She's always wanted to be number one, and number one only.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.