Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maishas said:
Amanda Coetzer from S.Africa
Also Dally Radriantefy from Madagascar (top 100)
Selima Sfar from Tunisia (top 200)
South Africa has several other players too, but not indigenous players as far as I'm aware. Tennis will most likely remain a sport for whites only for a long time yet unfortuantly in S. Africa.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
You're right Johno, I think all the current South African world ranked players are white. The divide still runs across other sports too. Rugby & cricket are almost all white players (to a lesser extent in rugby) and supporters, whilst in contrast the football team is dominated by black players.

The other African world ranked players

- Algeria:

Feriel Esseghir & Sana Ben Salah

- Egypt
Yomna Farid, Amani Khalifa, Heidi El Tabakh, Noha Mohsen and Magy Aziz

- Madagascar

Dally Randriantefy has also got a world-ranked sister Natacha

- Morocco

Bahia Mouhtassine (top 200), Meryem Haddad, Habiba Ifrakh, Zineb El Ouazzani and Hanane Toumi. Also several top mens players like El Aynaoui

- Nigeria

Femi Odeyemi Musa & Fatima Abinu

- South Africa
As well as Coetzer, Natalie Grandin & Chanelle Scheepers are both top 200. Also, Nicole Rencken, Liezel Huber (formerly top 100, now outside the top 500), Jessica Steck, Kim Grant, Michelle Snyman, Surina De Beer, Joanette Kruger and Anca Anastasiu

I think part of the problem is that there's so few world ranking tournaments (adult or junior) in Africa, and potential players from the poorer parts of Africa will not be able to afford to travel to Europe or the USA.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Kim Grant (S.Africa) has done quite well in doubles over the past couple of years.

Surina De Beer has had injury problems but has been on form of late. She has won two British LTA tournaments within the past month, and seems to enjoy it.

·
Registered
17,730 Posts
What's happened to Zimbabwe in the Fed Cup? I have a bit of a soft spot for them (because I've got relatives there) and I couldn't see Zimbabwe in any draws for the Fed Cup.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What happened with two other African players? I know that Feriel Esseghir of Algeria was a top 200 potential, but suddenly she dropped out. Besides that...wat happened to Egyptian player Amani Khalifa? She wasn´t a big potential, but sure a strong Egyptian Fed Cup player.

·
Registered
17,730 Posts
Does anyone else think that what's happened with the Zimbabwe cricket team (for those who don't know, cricket is a sport played by countries part of the British Commonwealth, and is kind of like baseball) will happen to tennis. For those who don't know, President Mugabe is tied up with the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, and players have had to retire because of their colour, or standing up to the ZCU over selection process, because coloured players are being picked because of their colour. Also just yesterday, 12 white cricket players were axed from the team, meaning Zimbabwe will field a side with no whites in it. Go to www.cricinfo.com for more details on that if you're interested. I know the Davis Cup squad has two white players and two coloured. Is there a policy there? If not, do you think that what's happened with the cricket team, will spread to both Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams?

·
Registered
614 Posts
has anyone heard anything about amanda coetzer - she has only played two matches this year and is not in the fed cup team. Her rank is sliding. Is this the end. I dont think she would play if she has to play qualifying?????????

·
Registered
52,282 Posts
Anyone knows if Jo Kruger retired ? I know she's been injured and came back in some events in 2003 included RG but since I never heard of her . Please tell me if so knows!!!

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
There are some players from Ghana who always commit to british 10ks or 25ks and then withdraw at the last minute even though they are accepted....

and there is Samia Mehjaadi of Algeria :D
There are also many Nigerians who play in Nigerian 10ks .

In terms of an indigenous player from South Africa, sure the sport is white dominated, but I do recall a player named Tsitsi, but I can't remember if she is from Zimbabwe or South Africa. I think Zimbabwe.

·
5,032 Posts
Top 10 African rankings :)
#66 Dally Randriantefy - MAD
#129 Selima Sfar - TUN
#134 Cara Black - ZIM
#169 Natalie Grandin - SA
#172 Bahia Mouhtassine - MOR
#240 Chanelle Scheepers - SA
#276 Amanda Coetzer - SA
#515 Nicole Rencken -SA
#631 Lizaan du Plessis - SA