Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, but this is different, and please notice that I am using the term "African American" with respect. Why aren't we seeing any African-American men break through like the Williams sisters and Zina Garrison and Lori McNeil and Chanda Rubin? I don't mean the James Blakes or Malivai Washingtons of underachievement and lackluster talent fame (respectively) either, I'm talking about- can you imagine if an athlete like Alan Iverson was given a tennis racquet instead of a basketball when he was a child?!?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm mixed (black and german). The reason I believe more African American boys arent getting tennis racquets is because through most of culture's eyes, baseball/football/track and field are the way to go. Not to mention how much more money those athletes make than tennis players. Alot of people see tennis as a "weak" sport and real men play basketball or something. Ahh well. I love tennis. And if I didn't have a running scholarship already, I would play tennis in college =P.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heeves23 said:
tennis isnt a big part of black culture.... if it was.. u would be seeing more of them
What can be done to make it a part of black culture- and why was it a part of Richard Williams' work with his daughters?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think I recall richard williams being quoted as saying he saw someone on TV receive a check for $30,000 and that is what initially motivated him to pick up videos and books. I dont know if people really want to go through what Venus and Serena are subjected to on a regular basis. I dunno. I guess there are more important things to worry about though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Also, if you are let's say a black girl growing up in America, wouldn't you be turned off by what the Williams are going through with the crowds?
I know the money they make is not a turn off, but what the crowds do to them, especially at home, is not pretty. I don't think I would want to look at my future and see myself in that situation. Just a thought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont think black girls or guys would go threw racist remarks or anything like that at all now.... and even with the williams sisters... i dont think the crowds are that racist twoards them... thats just from what i have seen

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
basketball is so easy to play, you really only need half a court and a hoop, the rest can be made yourself. football you only need the ball and a few people to play, it can be played almost anywhere. there has been a dramatic decrease in baseball in teh inner cities cos it takes lots of people and a field, bats, ball, etc. tennis you need racquets, balls, and an entire court.

plus, tennis is definitely viewed as a weaker sport. no contact.

btw, allen started off playing football but was injured and decided to start playing basketball more. the man is an all around athlete :)

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Runningtennisguy said:
Think of it this way, inner city black community. How many tennis courts do you see? Now, think of how many basketball hoops you would expect to see. There is your answer.
Actually, the situation exists in inner-city parks where tennis courts are there, and are being neglected or turned into multi-purpose b-ball courts and stick hockey courts. I'd like to see the USTA put its money where its mouth is- they talk about inner-city tennis programs, and Tennis USA 1-2-3, but from what I have seen, everything is all geared toward generating a tennis paying student of some local pro at the local racquet club. Tennis is big business in America- okay, not on par with the NBA or NFL, but the grass roots level development is almost non-existent!!! Am I the only white boy pissed off about this?!? If I am- I promise to recruit a few more!!! :fiery:

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
Runningtennisguy said:
I'm mixed (black and german).

tahts a beautiful mix :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Heeves23 said:
i dont think the crowds are that racist twoards them... thats just from what i have seen
It's not ok if they're a little racist either. I'm sure tennis doesn't look inviting to black people seeing what the sisters go through even a little. My friends hesitate to even go to a match let alone be in that world on a regular basis.

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
Jasmin said:
I'm sure tennis doesn't look inviting to black people seeing what the sisters go through even a little. My friends hesitate to even go to a match let alone be in that world on a regular basis.
Seems a reasonable observation, but otoh, what Serena and Venus have had to deal with is NOTHING compared to what Jackie Robinson and the other players who broke baseball's color barrier were subjected to, or say Hank Aaron when he was chasing the home run record. Yet that viciousness didn't deter African American men from pursuing careers in baseball.

Reactions: DeuceDiva

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
It ain´t pretty nor funny watching the two few black champions getting booed on their home-soil by their home-crowd!! Plus take in account that playing tennis costs plenty of money....so their you have a turn-off already: MONEY!

·
Registered
613 Posts
griffin said:
Seems a reasonable observation, but otoh, what Serena and Venus have had to deal with is NOTHING compared to what Jackie Robinson and the other players who broke baseball's color barrier were subjected to, or say Hank Aaron when he was chasing the home run record. Yet that viciousness didn't deter African American men from pursuing careers in baseball.
This is correct. But I think was Jasmin stated was a very good point. Racism is not as bad as it used to be back in those days that you mentioned, but the fact that it's less today it doesn't mean it's a factor that can be forgiven or excused in any way.

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
Good grief, I'm not trying to excuse racism OR deny it exists!

I'm simply asking if racism in tennis is a major factor in keeping people from picking up raquets, given that people have pursued other sports despite those sports' stars having faced far more open and vicious expressions of racism.

I'm suggesting there might be other, larger factors.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
griffin said:
Good grief, I'm not trying to excuse racism OR deny it exists!

I'm simply asking if racism in tennis is a major factor in keeping people from picking up raquets, given that people have pursued other sports despite those sports' stars having faced far more open and vicious expressions of racism.

I'm suggesting there might be other, larger factors.
This is my point exactly- thank you for clarifying! :bounce: Major League baseball has been aggressively recruiting African American players and in the last 20 years, increasingly Latino populations from the Caribbean have come to the forefront. Why is the tennis establishment so different? Why isn't there the same hunger to exploit displayed by the USTA- who is ALL ABOUT MONEY?!? The USTA is a corporation. Why is it not actively recruiting black men and promoting their careers and making the next Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods? I just don't get it! :sad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.