Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, she isn't exactly where she was, but I honestly thought that Mary wouldn't even come back this far. I'm impressed by how well she's playing. She still needs to work on fitness, but I think she's even improved in that area since Wimbledon.

:worship: for proving me wrong :)

· Registered
11,065 Posts
never write off a champion. you can never be sure if someone can overcome injuries, personal problems etc, but when they have the ability that mary does it is always dangerous to say they're finished.

she is a class above myskina IMO, and if she can maintain this level then i think she will make the quarters. it could be a good match though is myskina comes to play

· Banned
596 Posts
i do, with her injury, it's hard to see her
maintaining her levels for long, probably till QF,
but after that, it might just be a slaughter match for her
hopefully she can beat out Nastya,
i say she either wins in 2 sets, or loses in 3 sets:)

· Banned
928 Posts
I think that Mary would win from Myskina........when Mary is fit enough! ;)

Anastasia Myskina has the worst W/L record on hardcourt from the Top10 players...she can't convince me......she needed 3 sets against each player this week.

Win/Loss on hartcourt

Percentage of matches won (number of tournaments)

64. Mary Pierce 63 % (51)
10. Anastasia Myskina 58 % (48)

C'mon Mary....you can do it :yeah:

· Registered
360 Posts
Am so surprised as thought she would retire afterloving to Clarissa Fernandez in Paris - but she seems to have rleaxed and played better since then - allstarted by good doubles in Holland the week before Wimbledon. I think she should beat Myskina - but Myskina gets everything back and is a crafty player... If Mary wins she will jump to 36 in the new rankings by reaching the quarters... which will mean she will be up for the Gold Exempt Wild-Card for 2004... if she loses she will end the US Open at 51 in the rankings.... Fingers crossed for Mary.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
well she had a very nice first round match-up which gave her a chance to get things going. it may have been different if she had a top 50 player rd 1. 2nd round everyone probably thought she would have it easy of she got through the way dokic was playing but dokic reallt fought and played quite well. and asagoe doesn't have any weapons but she does get a lot back. i knew she had it in her after the wimbledon performance.

· Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes. When Mary was down around No 200 some months back, I thought she wouldn't come back to top tennis. But she has really impressed since then.

In an interview at the USO she spoke of wanting to win another slam! However Anastasia is a tricky customer...

· Registered
713 Posts
I wrote her off completely, thought she would retire. I just hope she isn't using creatine this time cos that was probably a major factor in why her body broke down so badly before.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
I just felt so sorry for her - I suppose i did write her inoff because of soo many injuries but I knew if she could get fit an injury free she would be heading back toward the top - I really hope she makes the quaters and gives Justine a good fight ------- allez mary!

· Registered
12,908 Posts
I didnt write her off at all, i actually predicted she'd get to the QF before this tournament started, hopefully, i am right :)
I think she can beat Myskina tomorrow, she is playing better than her imo. Not sure about beating Justine though.
After all her injuries i dont think i ever gave up hope, i thought she would be back as soon as she stayed injury free for a year. I still think she can get back to the top 20.

62,415 Posts
Experimentee said:
I didnt write her off at all, i actually predicted she'd get to the QF before this tournament started, hopefully, i am right :)
I think she can beat Myskina tomorrow, she is playing better than her imo. Not sure about beating Justine though.
After all her injuries i dont think i ever gave up hope, i thought she would be back as soon as she stayed injury free for a year. I still think she can get back to the top 20.
Same here but I predicted she will reaching semis of the US Open! :eek: Hope I'm right! :angel:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.