Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, what a golden opportunity missed for Coco. Once again she is so close, but just can’t get over the finish line. It’s frustrating that she seems stuck on the same level for the past two years.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Damnit, so close! Very engaging match towards the end there. Lots of long deuce games. Was hoping Coco could get a title here :( Coco was too passive especially in that second set when she pulled a Wozniacki and hit zero winners. She did step it up when she went down a break in the decider, but it wasn't enough. She saved a ton of BPs this match and I thought she might actually sneak it out in the decider, but Keys was resilient. And I will say again the FH wasn't too bad even today, last season it would have broken down much more easily especially under all that pace.

Congrats Maddie, I guess she's back! She was strangely passive in the first set, not striking that FH as hard as she normally could, but then found it in the last 2 sets.

Purple Font Screenshot Magenta Circle

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Madison just went for broke in the last two sets and this time she hit more than missed. There's not much that could have been done to prevent that. Still a good showing from Coco this week, maybe a loss here is better cause she'll have more time to rest before the Australian Open.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
You cant do much more against PEAK Keys. Its amazing how many balls Coco were able to retrieve off of Key's blistering forehands. She also did well to fight off match points with some of the clutchest serves and strokes, but I think nerves just got the better of her. She definitely has the "It" factor. Hopefully, with experience and the right mindset she can become a champion she truly is.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That was entertaining at the end there, some great clutch play from both at times. Keys was pretty great after the first set and just bludgeoned coco. Great serving from Madison, hopefully she can keep this form heading into the AO.
Wanted Coco to win this but just made a few too many errors in key moments. Still liked how her forehand held up against the massive power of keys for the most part, she should have a good tournament next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That’s scary. Just glad Keys could win despite her leg bothering here. Phew…if this girl starts winning tournaments the hype machine will be unstoppable 😱

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Watched last 2 sets and I was impressed by Keys' composure and desire to win this. Sure there were some wild misses, as usual, mainly in that 4-3* game in the 3rd where she didn't take some crucial BPs, but it didn't affect her much, showing her experience to regroup quickly.

As for Gauff, she fought hard, saving a lot of BPs and some really clutch playing saving some MPs, with an ace and a couple of agressive BHs, but it wasn't enough. That FH is still a major liability when rushed, and on these fast hardcourts, Keys kept punishing it.

This is Keys first MM final, on her 11th overall final.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You cant do much more against PEAK Keys. Its amazing how many balls Coco were able to retrieve off of Key's blistering forehands. She also did well to fight off match points with some of the clutchest serves and strokes, but I think nerves just got the better of her. She definitely has the "It" factor. Hopefully, with experience and the right mindset she can become a champion she truly is.
This. People here don't give Keys nearly enough credit. If she is playing well like she has against Svitolina, Samsonova and now Gauff she is one of the most savage opponents to face.

Gauff did amazing this tournament, don't forget she is just 17 year old. You need to compare her not with Keys, but to Emma and Leylah and she is the best by far out of the 3 right now. Her main rivalry will probably be with VJK rather than Emma and Leylah during the next years for title of "best young prodigy".

·
Premium Member
🎾👑Ksenia Efremova👑🎾
1,438 Posts
Brilliant performence from Keys - I hope she will win title here and then make good run at AO.

I don t think Gauff will win grand slam at age 17/18, there will always be some players which will stop her.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
In the end Keys serve was more reliable and she was more aggressive. Coco was too predictable with her wide serve, Keys knew where it was going most of the time. She was too passive with her backhand and couldn’t hit winners with her FH like Keys and made too many silly mistakes herself in the last few games.

·
Registered
My favourites: Konjuh / Vekić / Kvitova / Muguruza / Pera
436 Posts
Get that title, Maddie!!!

You were fantastic today. Grats!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts