Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
29,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intense match! Ash fought well to survive Collins here. She played a pretty great second set IMO but got so defensive in the third. So far behind the baseline. Collins is hitting the ball so well right now but she received treatment for her back(?) in the beginning of the third set. Just a few too many errors there in the TB.

Collins had some hilarious screams at 5-5 though. :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Really tough match for Ash to come through!

Danielle was brilliant in set 1, and Ash was equally brilliant in set 2...

Final set was really tight, but it always felt like Ash had the ascendency due to how well she served! 14 or so Aces!

·
Registered
113,005 Posts
Really interesting match, both AO contenders

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Barty looks like the world number one when she gets up on the baseline and moves her feet to be aggressive with the forehand and looks like the world number 30 when she gets caught behind the baseline and is too defensive.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Great job Barty to win this... onwards now to face Dayana!

Danielle Collins has been tremendous this tournament. Hope she carries the fire into the AO!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
What a close match at the end, noone wanted to give up. Ashley served better and was a bit clutcher than Collins in the 3d set. Ashley served really well on pressure. Collins as usual, giving that villian show she likes, I think the crowd against her was a motivation for her.
Great match from both

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I had the match on while doing other things and wasn't really watching until I heard that scream on Ash's UE. Ash gave a wry smile at Collins' OTT reaction and when she took it to the TB encouraged the crowd to get into it. I think that's the closest I've seen someone get under Ash's skin. Hilarious. Good luck for the final, Ash!

·
Registered
25,483 Posts
Really a shame to see. Danielle played so well. She's gotta stop falling for those slice traps against Barty. Now 0-3 against her.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,737 Posts
That is why Ash is world number 1. Up against a tough opponent, Ash never lost her cool, raised her game when she needed to, served great and had the shots to neutralise Collins power. Ash has gotten better incrementally match by match this week and she looks to be in great form heading into Melbourne. It is going to take a very strong performance there to stop her from winning her home slam.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Ash basically admitted that she hasn't been enjoying tennis as much lately, which has been obvious. Let's hope she finds that love again.

Collins's behaviour continues to be controversial.

Her absolutely theatrical screaming at some of Barty's unforced errors got a cheeky smile out of Ash :eek:h:

Honestly though, that kind of behaviour is not acceptable at the highest level. I'm glad it didn't pay off today.

Barty needs to really improve her game though - she was far too passive when she got the lead in set 3.

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Barty's serving was pretty topnotch, Collins had no chance against her 1st serve. But Collins did fight well considering she was having back pain.

·
Registered
31,156 Posts
DRC not much good at tennis, maybe she should try Foxy Boxing instead.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I had the match on while doing other things and wasn't really watching until I heard that scream on Ash's UE. Ash gave a wry smile at Collins' OTT reaction and when she took it to the TB encouraged the crowd to get into it. I think that's the closest I've seen someone get under Ash's skin. Hilarious. Good luck for the final, Ash!

Agreed - first time I've seen anyone annoy Ash, and she still handled it so well. Collins's behaviour is just something else.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Was hoping Collins would win, love her game when she's on and I enjoy her fire out there.
Barty fluctuated between a nice mix of aggression and defense then got kinda pushy and was just shoveling slices and waiting for errors way too often. She deserved the win though, she served really well throughout and was the more solid player down the stretch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
Barty served exceptionally well and defended smartly to get out of trouble. She was able to unsettle Collins, who was striking the ball as big as anyone else on tour. I don't think many other players would have been able to escape that level of attacking play. Great match to build up Barty's confidence after her unexpected loss to Brady in Brisbane.

Collins always comes across as such a strange character, and I don't mean that as an insult.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts