Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
^^Apparently being so uncomfortable that you can't even complete the medical assessment = being eviscerated :help:

It is so incredibly sad watching Angie these days. She has a horribly negative vibe on the court, and it's not her usual grumpy vibe - it's a vibe of absolute discomfort and lack of desire to be where she is.

For someone who's built her career on fighting for every point, she's just nothing without that desire. She has no desire to run for balls anymore. She doesn't care if she loses points. She's just not there.

I don't think Dayana is in good form if I'm honest. There were far too many absolutely brainless errors waaaaaaay out of the court off basic balls when Angie had already given up on the point and the whole court was open. The score should not have been that close.

I don't know if Angie could have done better if she was healthy - it's hard to tell anymore. An injury makes you uncomfortable in everything you do and ruins your mindset, but her whole mood is off anyway and I have no idea where her love of tennis has gone.

Sad.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I don´t know what to make about this match, Kerber wasn´t playing as bad, some of her shots worked well, the serve was decent, but she didn´t care to win the important points and she also lacked power at times, specially on ROS. Her attitude was not good, looking tired and off. I don´t know how serious is her injury or if there´s another thing we don´t know but she could have won this match if she was healthy and she really cared because Yastremska was not brilliant either. Hopefully she´ll recover soon and at least give some fight throughout the year.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quickly turning into a Angie Hate Thread.

Sad that she had to retire today, hopefully will be back at the AO feeling better.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
What happened to Kerber?
Her match with Wang was straightforward by scoreline.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Nothing to see here — just Kerber being Kerber: chickening away from an incoming beatdown

Don't give me some magic crap that she really gets injured only when the scoreboard has "love" next to her name. Here are all of her last couple of retirements (not counting the latest):

Stuttgart Anett Kontaveit def. Kerber 6-0 2-0 RET
Madrid Eugenie Bouchard def. Kerber 6-3 5-0 RET
Charleston Sloane Stephens def. Kerber 6-1 3-0 RET
Madrid Caroline Garcia def. Kerber 6-3 2-0 RET
Beijing Maria Sharapova def. Kerber 6-0 3-0 RET
Bastad Ana Vrljic def. Kerber 5-7 7-5 3-0 RET

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Sad for Angie after she had a comprehensive first round win. Hopefully this retirement is precautionary rather than serious and she covers well in time. Posters alluding to her negative vibes on court - could be due to the fact that she felt the injury coming into the match and was therefore left feeling deflated?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
^^Apparently being so uncomfortable that you can't even complete the medical assessment = being eviscerated :help:

It is so incredibly sad watching Angie these days. She has a horribly negative vibe on the court, and it's not her usual grumpy vibe - it's a vibe of absolute discomfort and lack of desire to be where she is.

For someone who's built her career on fighting for every point, she's just nothing without that desire. She has no desire to run for balls anymore. She doesn't care if she loses points. She's just not there.

I don't think Dayana is in good form if I'm honest. There were far too many absolutely brainless errors waaaaaaay out of the court off basic balls when Angie had already given up on the point and the whole court was open. The score should not have been that close.

I don't know if Angie could have done better if she was healthy - it's hard to tell anymore. An injury makes you uncomfortable in everything you do and ruins your mindset, but her whole mood is off anyway and I have no idea where her love of tennis has gone.

Sad.
She has her money, she has her fame, she has her trophies, her bust is already set in stone for Hall of Fame. Why kill yourself and your body and continue to delay a family for this nonsense? Flying around the world to play in blistering heat and breathe toxic air? Fuck all that shit.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Let's hope it's just precautionary. I think it's a bit precipitated to judge a player by a match he was injured and retired. Even the mentality is affected, specially considering how Dayana has a certain fame. I'll hold my judgment about Kerber until the AO.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well, what can I say? I hope it's nothing serious. Got a glimpse into the highlights and I thought she was moving around less with the progression of the match. A BBB battle next with Yastremska vs Vekic.
Nothing to see here — just Kerber being Kerber: chickening away from an incoming beatdown

Don't give me some magic crap that she really gets injured only when the scoreboard has "love" next to her name. Here are all of her last couple of retirements (not counting the latest):

Stuttgart Anett Kontaveit def. Kerber 6-0 2-0 RET 2019
Madrid Eugenie Bouchard def. Kerber 6-3 5-0 RET 2017
Charleston Sloane Stephens def. Kerber 6-1 3-0 RET 2017
Madrid Caroline Garcia def. Kerber 6-3 2-0 RET 2014
Beijing Maria Sharapova def. Kerber 6-0 3-0 RET 2012
Bastad Ana Vrljic def. Kerber 5-7 7-5 3-0 RET 2010
Who said she only gets injured when the scoreboard has "love"? Apparently she would prefer to retire if she feels that she's injured and is incapable of turning the result around. 🤷
Like the Sharapova one was maybe unnecessary and the one to Bouchard...I wouldn't defend it. But to Kontaveit? She skipped the next tournament and got a 0 to her ranking. A retirement to Vrljic? Her CHR was outside the top 50, do you think it would be a "diva atittude" back then and that coming from a single result? IIRC in the match with Stephens she was dizzy this whole day.

It's 7 retirements in the span of 11 seasons, 0.64 per season. If we go back her whole career, it might be even less than half a retirement for a season and one would realize what a stupid criticism this would be.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Well, what can I say? I hope it's nothing serious. Got a glimpse into the highlights and I thought she was moving around less with the progression of the match. A BBB battle next with Yastremska vs Vekic.

Who said she only gets injured when the scoreboard has "love"? Apparently she would prefer to retire if she feels that she's injured and is incapable of turning the result around. 🤷
Like the Sharapova one was maybe unnecessary and the one to Bouchard...I wouldn't defend it. But to Kontaveit? She skipped the next tournament and got a 0 to her ranking. A retirement to Vrljic? Her CHR was outside the top 50, do you think it would be a "diva atittude" back then and that coming from a single result? IIRC in the match with Stephens she was dizzy this whole day.

It's 7 retirements in the span of 11 seasons, 0.64 per season. If we go back her whole career, it might be even less than half a retirement for a season and one would realize what a stupid criticism this would be.
I agree with you that she's not a frequent abuser of the retirement system. But then that was not what I claimed anyway. It's not the total amount of times that's raising suspicion. It's what kind of matches she retires from. I'm not sure but the pattern seems to be that Kerber especially gets salty when she gets roughed-up by a young up-and-comer / rising star type. She has more tolerance if the beatdown comes from a veteran — but "these damn nextgens? How dare they!" seems to be her attitude lately.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This was kind of reminiscent of the Collins match at AO last year, I think Angela just wanted to save herself the embarrassment of a bagel this time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts