Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Shelby's returns were razor sharp, she gave Konta's serve the treatment. Konta made too many errors to compete with this level of Rogers. Two croissants from the bakery, apparently Rogers has made a very impressive gingerbread Wimbledon!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Both players are in hugely different places in terms of form/confidence/sharpness.

Konta just coming off an injury too.

Will be interesting to see how Konta’s career plays out now. Will she slowly fade into insignificance or will she bounce back with another slam SF run?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Somehow Konta is still the world #16, playing like the world #116. Surprised she played here after pulling out in Melbourne .

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Anytime Konta loses is great for tennis and the country of zenobia
I do think that Konta has a nice game when she is on and she has proved she is a very capable player on the court despite all the headless chicken comments and stuff. People have been so hard on her when some players are clearly protected from this kind of hatred for no reason. Be fair to all players, they’re working their ass to the court when we’re laying in the sofa.. You might not like some attitude or the way some players are playing tennis but you cannot be so rude. I think she has done good for british tennis as she is a GS SF and has delivered some good matches on tour.

·
Milk and honey
3,948 Posts
Needs more matchplay. The injury in Melbourne really set her back. Closer than the score line suggests but she didn’t take her break points in set 2 and missed a lot of putaways at 30-30 and 15-0 points. Shelby needed no invitation with the level she played today. There were moments of good momentum and level from Jo and she looked healthy which is the priority right now.

·
Registered
37,679 Posts
Rogers is playing really well. If she can keep this momentum and stay healthy she’ll be Top 30 soon. She should have pushed Barty harder at AO but still struggles with variety, hopefully she adjusts better to that going forward. She has a very empty draw here so I could definitely see her in the Final.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Rogers doesn't have an athletic looking body or face, but has big easy power. Now in the top 50.
She had knee surgery in 2018 and her ranking dropped to 630.
Shelby is 8 -2 in her two events in OZ. She was beaten both times by Barty. In this event Barty is in the other half of the draw.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Shelby playing such good ball at the moment. She’s been slowly pushing back to the Top 50 after that long break for surgery. Happy to see her back. Not quite sure what her peak is though...

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Konta was the clear 13/8 underdog here, so no surprise at all, and their respective rankings should really be switched, but it is what it is with the current ranking system, as that saying goes. Konta will definitely be one of the seeds that lower ranked players will want to draw going forward.

She has proved me wrong in the recent past, and may well do the same again, but regarding Mal's last point, it will be interesting to see how her career goes, and how long she has left.

Well done to Shelby. Not my favourite player, but she has done really well pretty much since Lexington, has had some very good wins, often takes a very good player to beat her, and is playing some good stuff.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
2 opposites sides of confidence. Shelby came out hitting big, staying positive and constructing points well. Jo was one step behind and quickly found herself on the defence. I can really see Shelby cracking the top 20 this year, if this current stupid ranking system allows her to do so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
She definitely has an athletic body, with virtually no body fat, unlike like she used to be several years ago. So, props to Shelby for staying in tip-top shape during the pandemic and throughout her grueling rehab over the past few years.
Yes, her face is a bit doughy, but I would not call it unathletic by any means. An athletic face: let's see - certainly not Naomi Osaka or Ash Barty or Elina Svitolina, who also has a doughy face. Maybe Jo Konta?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Shelby has always been one of the most dangerous floaters in a slam draw and her best is definitely top 30 worthy . The problem is she only does well At the slams .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not true. A final in South America (lost to Schiavone) and a final in Germany many years ago (lost to Petrovic) argue against that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Konta rank 16 .. is so overrated! He will have a hard fall in the rankings in the coming months, he must defend a final in Rome, SF in Paris, QF in Wimbledon, QF in USO. I bet she will be out of the top 50 on September!

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Rogers doesn't have an athletic looking body or face, but has big easy power. Now in the top 50.
She had knee surgery in 2018 and her ranking dropped to 630.
Shelby is 8 -2 in her two events in OZ. She was beaten both times by Barty. In this event Barty is in the other half of the draw.
It looks aged. Maybe slop on more sunscreen.

I do think that Konta has a nice game when she is on and she has proved she is a very capable player on the court despite all the headless chicken comments and stuff. People have been so hard on her when some players are clearly protected from this kind of hatred for no reason. Be fair to all players, they’re working their ass to the court when we’re laying in the sofa.. You might not like some attitude or the way some players are playing tennis but you cannot be so rude. I think she has done good for british tennis as she is a GS SF and has delivered some good matches on tour.
True, they are out there busting their chops.

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
Velociraptor devoured 😂😂

1 - 20 of 31 Posts