vs Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi

Maria Sharapova
vs Svetlana Kuznetsova

·
Registered
24,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Preview before the tournament

1# Jelena Dokic overcame her slump and won in Los Angeles by beating Lubomira Kurhajcova who ended the tournament winner run of Amelie Mauresmo (Olympics, Stanford). She will either play Chanda Rubin or Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi, who beat her earlier on hardcourts.​

6# Paola Suarez, who lost early last week, will play Forest Hills finalist Katarina Srebotnik or slumping Petra Mandula.​

4# Martina Hingis, who lost also very early last week, will either play semifinalist from Cincinatti, Maggie Maleeva or Iveta Benesova. Maleeva vs Benesova should be an interesting one as both are former doubles partner.​

5# Mervana Jugic-Salkic will open against either Vera Zvonareva or Monica Seles.​

8# Amelie Mauresmo, first time seeded in this big event plays against countrywoman Tatiana Golovin. She is probably the biggest favourite, winning two titles and reaching semis last week.​

Jennifer Capriati, this week unseeded opens against another talented player Maria Kirilenko, who had fantastic matches at Wimbledon and the Olympics.​

3# Jie Zheng will either play Eleni Daniilidou or Serena Williams in the second round.​

7# Maureen Drake will face her last weeks opponment in the final of Cincinatti again here. Can Karolina get revenge?​

Virag Nemeth will take on surprising LA semifinalist Rossana Neffa-de los Rios.​

2# Venus Williams, who lost to Kurhajcova last week plays definitly one Russian - either Sharapova or Kuznetsova.​

·
Registered
24,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Commitment List!

1. Magdalena Maleeva
2. Serena Williams
3. Chanda Rubin
4. Monica Seles
5. Maria Kirilenko
6. Amelie Mauresmo

7. Anna Smashnova - Pistolesi
8. Martina Hingis

9. Katarina Srebotnik
10. Paola Suarez

11. Jennifer Capriati
12. Virag Nemeth

13. Iveta Benesova
14. Petra Mandula
15. Mervana Jugic-Salkic
16. Eleni Daniilidou
17. Karolina Sprem
18. Rossana Neffa-de los Rios
19. Venus Williams
20. Jelena Dokic
21. Vera Zvonareva
22. Svetlana Kuznetsova
23. Jie Zheng
24. Maureen Drake
25. Maria Sharapova
26. Tatiana Golovin

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
Maleeva/Suarez?

I dont like to play my former consistent doubles partner. :sad:

Reactions: galadriel

·
Registered
24,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tatiana Golovin, Maria Kirilenko, Eleni Daniilidou, Jie Zheng, Maureen Drake and Maria Sharapova don't have a doubles partner yet! :)

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
crazillo said:
Maleeva/Suarez?

I dont like to play my former consistent doubles partner. :sad:
Don't worry, darling. Iveta still loves and respects Maggie. There will be a big kiss on both cheeks at the net at the end of the match. With that said, good luck to Maggie but GO IVETA!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Anyone wanna play with Maureen Drake? :wavey:

·
Registered
23,515 Posts
MrYonex said:
Anyone wanna play with Maureen Drake? :wavey:
want to play with Zheng for this week?

My doubles partner is playing lower tier to win more titles...

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
New said:

The lower Tier Tournament paid me a good appearance fee and a stay at a 5 star presidential suite hence i went over:p

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Sprem Ready For the Test

SAN DIEGO, California - Cincinnati singles finalist and doubles champion, Karolina Sprem is ready for the big challenge ahead of her here in San Diego.

"This tournament will be very tough," said Sprem. "I open against Maureen Drake who I lost to in last week's Cincinnati singles final. I've changed my strategy since then and we'll see if it works. I've been working on a few things since my loss to her last week."

In doubles Sprem has started her permanent partnership with Martina Hingis this week.

"Martina and I are really looking forward to playing together and we have hopes of making the YEC, if not this year then next year. I played well in doubles last week as I won the title with Kournikova so I hope I play well again this week."

Though this singles match will pose a even bigger challenge for Sprem.

"I'm hoping to get revenge against Maureen and continue my good singles form. I know now that if I'm going to enter the bigger tournaments that I will have to play better. If I don't get solid results I may have to play a few more smaller events because I don't want to go down in the singles rankings. I look forward to this tournament a lot and it is a good group of players playing here. I need to focus and stay calm. I need to mix things up against her."

Sprem opens on Wednesday on Centre Court against the #8 seed, Maureen Drake of Canada.

·
Registered
725 Posts
New said:

Sure, lets play together!

·
Registered
23,515 Posts
Je_ne_sais_quoi said:
The lower Tier Tournament paid me a good appearance fee and a stay at a 5 star presidential suite hence i went over:p
oh really?

the higher tier tournament paid a better appearance fee and a stay at the new ranked 10 star preidential suite.... :p

you should have check what the higher tier was offering...tsk tsk...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts