Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Serena Williams: Her backhand volley; her cross court forehand under pressure. Serena actually has many areas of her game which aren't perfect, but she's such a fine athlete that she can improvise each time a problem arises.

Kim Clijsters: Her lack of penetration from the forehand cross-court, like Hingis; her comparative lack of ability to attack short balls; her tendency to stand far behind the baseline while trying to dictate at the same time.

Justine Henin: Her serve can be vulnerable when confidence is low. When tentative, she just doesn't have the height to get high first service percentages hitting at the speed she does.

Venus Williams: Sometimes she snatches at her forehand, particularly under pressure. Her second service is always returnable, even when playing well, and her first service is volatile.

Lindsay Davenport: Her obvious weakness is her poor movement and unwillingness to run for 50% gets. Lindsay can often look more and more cumbersome as the match wears on, and it inspires opponents to keep fighting.

Jennifer Capriati: The serve is the only definable weakness in Capriati's game - and it's a big one! Her service action looks amateurish and even the non-fanatical observer can see the lack of fluidity in her action.

I also often think Jennifer needs to be able to hit more winners from her backhand side, which is solid, but not powerful or aggressive enough.

Amelie Mauresmo: To me, Amelie's main technical difficulty is her service, which doesn't have enough height, and her sliced backhands, which are all too often neither deep, nor biting.

Chanda Rubin: Chanda's backhand can sometimes look an unnatural shot, where she just doesn't take a proper swing, rather like Aranxta's forehand in years gone by.

Daniela Hantuchova: Daniela's movement is the second worst in the higher echelons (behind Lindsay). She just doesn't seem to react to the ball quickly enough, and unless she ever improves (which is doubtful as it seems to be her natural speed) she won't be either a successful serve and volleyer, nor a threat to the Williams'.

Jelena Dokic: Again, Jelena's movement laterally seems to be a weakness. But there is more with Jelena. She hits the ball extremely cleanly and with terrific arm speed, but her angled shots are virtually non-existent. She is only able, it seems, to hit the ball deep, in the direction of her opponents' baseline.

I've noticed Jelena caught out hitting the net while running to her forehand corner time and time again. Then there's the service, which is technically little better than Jennifer's.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great job. To Amelie, I'd add that when she is not confident (often) she leans back too much, taking the ball too late and while she is less balanced. Then she hits like crap. I tend to think she waits too long to decide what to do, weighing the alternatives. Any decision well-played would help her out, or letting go and relying on instinct and training when the Indecision Monster gets her.

Lindsay "ah…I'll just get the next one" Davenport. I think that's her funniest line ever and her nemesis. She's been doing that for so long, I don't know if she can change it. 'Look before you leap' is not a good philosophy for tennis and not feasible, anymore.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If Jen didn't choke on the easy put-aways, she wouldn't need any more backhand winners.

Oh, and (I'm just listening to Oracene here) Serena might need a tad more practice on her dropshots. 'Technically', they are a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
My biggest weakness? The PingPongPam double faults :sad:

Steffica you should be Pammentating instead of me, your knowledge is far superior....

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Serena Williams: nothing significant

Kim Clijsters: lack of penetration on fh

Justine Henin: She does everything very well when you factor in her physical build.

Venus Williams: Both first and second serves (esp second) too erratic and the fh is not always cleanly hit.

Lindsay Davenport: movement

Jennifer Capriati: serve = shabby

Amelie Mauresmo: nothing significant

Chanda Rubin: her backhand and serve lack bite

Daniela Hantuchova: Needs more margin on her shots, some spin wont hurt!

Jelena Dokic: Powerful but erratic serving (her 2nd serve is fastest on tour). Needs to add topspin to second serve. First is ok. Needs to hit a bit more topspin to increase her margin on groundies too.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Serena: Volleying, yes she can volley, but at Wimby, they looked technically wrong. Almost like stabs at the ball and hoping it'd work out okay.

Venus: Forehand, pulls up at times too quickly, 2nd serve, needs to lean into it a bit more.

Jen: Serve looks better, needs at add variety. Backhand aggressiveness, techinically sound, but doesn't do enough with it.

Elena D: Serve....ouch!! The worst serve IMo Top 20 (and I love Alyona), but the toss is too low, not enough wieght behind the serve (especially 2nd). BH could do with some work (such as closed stance hitting).

·
Registered
24,533 Posts
no ones mentioned monica??? sorry if someone has

monica has never taken full advantage of her height (she's not short at all) and being a lefty on her serve. she could really have the best serve in tennis (as far as placement, consistency, and penetration) if she would have done something. it's not technically flawed, but her ball toss is errant frequently... doubt that has the world 2 do with it, but o well.

well monica's whole game is wonderfully, yet technically flawed. 2 handed forehands are flawed as far as most teaching pros are concerned, but i think her volleys could have used firmer wrists...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Serena - Her backhand - Although there is no technical fault, she does not hit as many winners as she does from the forehand side.
Her volleys need work and goodness, she needs to learn the dropshot.

Venus - Second serve and forehand. Its amazing because when she won Wimbledon in 00 her second serve was actually a weapon, so she could actually get it back there. Even at the Acura in 2001.

Lindsay - Movement

Kim - Forehand, and backhand

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Pretty good analysis from everyone (though oddkayla, I don't know how you could call Serena's BH a weakness - it's a technically fine shot, and rarely breaks down).

I'm surprised Serena's footwork hasn't been mentioned; a lot of the time she hits UEs because she's either off-balance or jammed up when she hits the ball, and so opponents who employ a lot of variety in court placement can force the UEs quite handily. She doesn't react to slice all that well, either. The dropshot is poor, yes, but that's more to do with her mindset of playing it at really odd times.

Daniela's movement is suspect, yes, but so is her strategy. She plays vacantly on court, and doesn't seem to be thinking from one point to the next at all.

I'll just remind you that it's Nastya Myskina who's the top ten player these days, not Dokic, but her weakness is obvious: the serve, and especially the second serve, which makes me cringe just thinking about it. And she doesn't know how to win when she's not playing well.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"monica has never taken full advantage of her height (she's not short at all) and being a lefty on her serve. she could really have the best serve in tennis (as far as placement, consistency, and penetration) if she would have done something. it's not technically flawed, but her ball toss is errant frequently... doubt that has the world 2 do with it, but o well. "

Monica has never been athletic, and it doesn't look like she's every tried to work on that. A bad or errant ball toss is murder on a serve. I would have Monica throwing balls as her arms don't seem very controlled when she's only using one(the toss) and she's just starting to get a one handed forehand. It's really a shame that she's never stuck w/a physical training program, it would have added years to her winning days. Would someone get Harold Solomon on the phone?

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
justine's backhand while beautiful can and has been overpowered.

Serena...Volleys ugh...I cringe whenever she comes to the net, unless she's shaking hands, or hitting a floater.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I agree w/ Serena's analysis. She has many MANY technical flaws to her game (drop shots, footwork, volleys, and even her groudies sometimes, as she tries to muscle them sometimes), but she is such a good athlete, that she finds ways to do those things well enough (it isn't like any of them are MAJOR problems anyways) to win.

Kim-I find that her biggest weakness is that she gets tentative against the big guns, and often seems afraid to take the offensive.

JHH-She pretty much has nothing to improve upon. If she had her game and was 5'9" or taller, she would be unbeatable. Trouble is, due to her weight (or lack of it), she can get over powered too easily

Venus-Serve and Forehand technically suck, but she is able to hit them decently when her confidence is good, and her BH and movement are good enough that even when her serve and forehand don't work at all, she can win (case in point: Rubin at the US Open).

Davy: Her movement and her attitude. Her strokes and Serve are so technically perfect that I feel euphoric when watching her play because everything looks so right. But more than all the other top players, she has trouble coming back from defeciets, and she doesn't move as well as she could IMHO. Though that has gotten much better since her injury.

Amelie-Hmm. Her serve seems a little bit awkward, but not too bad. Her slice backhand is erratic, but I guess that is her only main weakness:confused: .

JenCap: Serve. She is working on it, so it is pretty good now, but it could still be better. Also, she often seems scared to hit winners, which is absolutly ridiculous considering her power capacity.

Chanda-She can be very erratic, and that serve is AWEFUL:eek: . She can hit it hard sometimes, but it often gets KILLED even by no name Russians that have no chance of beating her.

Daniela-No Strategy, too thin, strokes need topspin, too slow, etc.

Myskina-She is a flash in the pan top ten, so we won't discuss her

Dokic-Angles, Movement, and Serve. She hits harder than anyone on tour from what I've seen in real life, and she can hit any given inch of the baseline, but she doesn't do angles often. Her volleys, believe it or not, are okay when she gets there. Her movement is suspect, but that is probably due to her build. Hey, not everyone can move well. FInally, her first serve is great, but she doesn't have a second serve. She needs to add some sort of spin to it so that she doesn't DF.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The problem with Monica's serve iz that she doesn't get her wight moving forward so she has no momentum and thus her seve iz quite arm generated, as far as Jen goes well her first serve can b quite effective, the only problem iz that it is inconsistent coz she has no rythmn on her serve how ever she iz working on it more and it's getting betta at becoming more fluid and automatic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.