Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HINGIS SEES MORE SOUR GRAPES THAN ABILITY
Martina watches as arch rival Venus soar

By Matthew Cronin

Susan Mullane
Camerawork USA, Inc.
It has to be irking Martina Hingis that Venus Williams will become No. 1 next week. Not because the Swiss believes that the vexing V is a physically stronger player, nor a mentally tougher competitor, but because she thinks deep down inside that she is a smarter player and should have figured out a way to keep Venus from her beloved queen of hill spot for a few more years.

Martina will not concede Venus the year-end No. 1 spot yet, much yet the top spot next month. In her typical ultra-confident fashion, she refuses to concede that Venus is the clear-cut No. 1, even though Williams has won two out of the last three Grand Slams and accept for her major hiccup in Australia to Monica Seles, has been the out and out favorite in every tournament she has entered since last July.

"I think she won the last two tournaments now, so it's a very close call there," said Hingis, who is about to set off on a three U.S. hardcourt swing in Scottsdale, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.

"All those players, it can be: one week Jennifer, one week Venus. Hopefully, pretty soon I'll battle with them, too. ... At this point there's lots of girls up front which are still playing great tennis. So I think it gets more and more difficult, as you see in the men's game. You don't have too many steady No 1 players up there. It was nice for me to be there for so long, like four years. At this point it's hard to say. I mean, like I said, the competition is getting stronger, so."

HINGIS HAD TOUGH SUMMER
It's hard to forget how impotent Hingis looked last summer, when she run out of every Slam like she was countrywoman Patty Schnyder in her orange juice-only days, not the best women's athlete in Swiss history. Recall that Serena blasted her 6-3, 6-2 in the U.S. Open semis, one of Martina's most embarrassing losses. "Sometimes it happens," she said. " I beat Venus in Australia the year before [6-1, 6-1], and I beat her more than once. Can't be embarrassed about it."

However, Martina had never been wasted like that before when she was healthy. "Well, it doesn't feel the greatest," she said. " Sometimes it isn't your day. But she was just better than me at that point. I was happy to get into the semifinals. I could have lost in the third round. Later in the fall, I got injured. I knew I wasn't playing the best tennis at that point. And that's very hard to beat somebody like Serena."

Hingis's fall injury was actually a stroke of luck, because it allowed her time to reflect on where her career is going and recommit herself to her sport. She did think back on the loss to Serena. "Maybe a little bit, too, yeah, was part of it," she said. "The whole season wasn't good enough. The break probably did me well. Now I feel like I'm playing better than before."

STRONGER, QUICKER, HAPPIER
Hingis has a lot to be happy about this year. She's much stronger and a little quicker than she was in '01, appears to be very motivated and understands that without the injured Lindsay Davenport and Mary Pierce around, she has a couple less big-hitters to scrape by in the coming months.

Although Venus, Serena and Jennifer can beat her when they are focused, Hingis understands as well as anyone that neither sister has played a full season without being diverted, and that Jennifer can be had if Hingis regains her once immense courage. That gives Martina a terrific shot at winning her sixth Slam in 2002 – if she rediscovers that pushing the ball against elite players when trying to close out matches is not the right recipe for success.

Hingis said that she has already put aside her disastrous loss to Capriati in the Aussie Open final. " I didn't have such a tough time getting over it," she said. "I won the week after that in Tokyo, beat Monica in the finals. I can't be too disappointed about that loss. I came very close. Can't get closer than having four match points. So I think I did better than expected."

The 21-year-old says she now treating her tennis with more responsibility and enjoys it more. And if the Swiss is about to break out her trademark slightly evil smile again on a regular basis, it could be bad news for Venus.

"Before I was sometimes like, 'Okay, do the same old business,' she said. But now I enjoy it more and just prove myself again. ... Last year when I went into tournaments and you know you're not in best shape, you kind of feel like, "Okay, those matches are going to be very hard to go through again, like the Williams sisters or Lindsay or Jennifer, and it's just going to be very hard to win.' But now I feel like I made another step in my game that I got better. So I feel like I have the game to beat everybody.

·
Premium Member
27,123 Posts
This is an interesting read :), but I fail to see how the title matches the content of this article. Nor do I any evidence of Martina refusing to concede that Venus is the clear cut no.1 unless the author is talking about comments he hasn't quoted.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Seems to me she's got the right take on it. " ...one week Jennifer, one week Venus. Hopefully, pretty soon I'll battle with them, too. ..."

That's certainly how the rankings look. Venus and Jenn battling for the #1 spot, with Martina a distant ( but closing) third.

Kart - focus on the words, 'clear cut'. Martina is saying Venus and Jenn are close together, which means Venus isn't a 'clear cut' #1. Same old sh*t.

I'm getting out of here before the 'war lords' show up.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
That's Martina showing her grace and class!!!!:D

She paid some great compliments to Serena, Jenn and Venus and women's tennis in general without taking herself out of the mix. Martina I love ya girl!:hearts:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I'm not seeing it either:rolleyes: Seems to me, based on the quotes in the article, that Martina is saying that she is more fit, stronger and ready to go at it with more insperation than last year. I see no where that she denounced Venus' ability or Venus becoming #1. She knows that Venus is the top player at the moment and unless she plays in great physical shape and confidence, she'll have little chance of defeating her.

Martina was #1 for four years, and I think last year was not the greatest year for her (In her opinion). She won lots of tier II events, but for her what's important for #1 is winning the Tier I and Grand Slams. With improved strength and if she builds up more confidence, she thinks she definetly has a shot of doing that this year....

The article title is just another example of the media trying to stir up gossip. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Very astute observation Mlle Marry!:D :D:D:D:D:D

But the title of this article is just soooo amazingly ridiculous. There is just nothing in the article to back that title up. I am embarrassed for the writer who obviously went into this with an agenda and did not expect a newer, more mature and yet confident Martina. So she just tried to fake and still use a sensational title.

But it is not as embarrassing as "seles to threaten Williams walkover in Dubai". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
According to Martina Hingis

Well, I agree with Kart...the title and the content are entirely different...she states quite truthfully that the #1 position will probably flip flop just like the ATP (men's) Her other comments were honest and there is no mention of her being disgruntled with anyone....besides this article although it appears fairly new..is undated..but why the "Sour Grapes" title? Just an attention getter??? :rolleyes:
barmaid:wavey:

·
Banned
9,423 Posts
I'm a huge Serena Williams fan and I never really cared for Hingis but I appreciate the comments se said about Serena. Hingis seems to be the only one to not underestimate Hingis, unlike Capriati and Lindsay Davenport

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always had a slight suspicion that Martina and Venus' rivalry goes very deep....I also think Martina likes Serena more than Venus (If you remember when Serena won the US open Martina hugged her at the net).

Another interesting thing is the author says,
"It has to be irking Martina...." How does he know?

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Thanks for the article!Very interesting!!:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
CC said:
I have always had a slight suspicion that Martina and Venus' rivalry goes very deep....I also think Martina likes Serena more than Venus (If you remember when Serena won the US open Martina hugged her at the net).
She probably likes Serena more than Venus because right now, Serena is not her main threat...... Venus is!!!!!! Anyway, Hingis seems to be on track again and has a little bit more perpspective on what to do .... I just hope she's not being overconfident again!!!

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
What a bunch of crap that title is, absolutely nothing suggesting that in the article!! :(

Martina definitely showing her class in this article though, just a great ambassador for the game. :)

·
Registered
15,276 Posts
:wavey: hi marti

i like serena more than venus too :kiss:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts