Tennis Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
You forgot Andreescu's Toronto/USO streak, and Naomi's Osaka/Beijing streak. Also, if retirement don't count, then Cinci/USO for Naom?

I think Sabalenka will win tomorrow and probably win atleast two matches in Melbourne 500 making her streak over 17.
Thanks for the corrections! I have edited in Osaka and Andreescu 2019. I've left out Osaka's current streak because, like Sabalenka's, it's still active! (i'm not jinxing anyone lol). Not sure about whether the walkover counts towards it, Azarenka's was before she'd played a single match in that tournament so i'm inclined to think it's a different story for Osaka's withdrawal before the final last year. But I suppose that's up to the individual.

I agree that Sabalenka can potentially reach about the 17 mark. :)

Are these streaks all done within one season? Because IMO a winning streak is much more impressive done within a season than with the off-season inbetween.
The years listed are accurate so all except Petra's first 2011-2012 streak were within the same calendar year (but she matched it all within 2018 anyway). Osaka and Sabalenka's current win streaks are also broken up by the off season.

Clijsters had a 17 match win streak that stretched from '02 to '03 but had an even better one in the one calendar year in 2005 (as above), and Venus and Serena have had good streaks that crossed the off season when they won the US Open (and some warmups) plus a title in Australia early the next season - like Venus winning the Gold Coast Open in 2002 for example.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Are these streaks all done within one season? Because IMO a winning streak is much more impressive done within a season than with the off-season inbetween.
I would disagree with that. If it's within one season, you're basically going straight from one tournament to the next, with maybe just a week off in-between. To come back after a break of two months (give or take), and be able to continue at the same level as before is, in my opinion, more difficult and therefore more impressive.

Either way, it's still a mighty achievement.

·
Milk and honey
3,866 Posts
I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far in the stretch since the Ostrava SF. Let's see if the AO is really the one this time. The issue for Aryna is that she won't play for almost 3 consecutive weeks after this, but she'll be at the tuneup the week before the slam starts and so long as she doesn't lose too much momentum there, regardless of her usual slam chokes she has to be seen as a second tier favourite considering her level right now.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Ear damage continues.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
WOW. I knew she'd blitzed Sakkari once before, but I really don't know what about their games matches up so well for Sabalenka. She was absolutely on fire.

I've said it about Sakkari, but it's even more true for Sabalenka, her groundstrokes don't feel natural. The Rybakina match was the best illustration, one hits the ball smoothly and one doesn't, but Sabalenka's fitness and power is off the charts compared to other recent Top 10ers with mechanical ground games (Petkovic, Konta). I don't find her someone you like to root for, but damn if she isn't impressive.

Hopefully she can sustain this form for another month or so, get the Grand Slam run she needs to be taken a bit more seriously. It's been over two years since she made that R16 at the US Open and she hasn't matched or exceeded that results since. At least a QF in Melbourne or it will be a disappointment, and honestl, given how she's playing, SF-or-better is the minimum she should be happy with.

Also didn't realize she has won so many titles already. A real disconnect from her tour results and her slam results.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hopefully she can sustain this form for another month or so, get the Grand Slam run she needs to be taken a bit more seriously. It's been over two years since she made that R16 at the US Open and she hasn't matched or exceeded that results since. At least a QF in Melbourne or it will be a disappointment, and honestl, given how she's playing, SF-or-better is the minimum she should be happy with.

Also didn't realize she has won so many titles already. A real disconnect from her tour results and her slam results.
I believe she is the only player to have won multiple tour titles a year for last three straight years. 2018 New Haven & Wuhan; 2019 Shenzhen, Wuhan redux, and Zhuhai Elite; 2020 Dubai, Ostrava, Linz. Another interesting streak is that ever since she started her career off with three consecutive losses at a final (against Sharapova, Mertens, and Wozniacki), since then she is 8-1 in finals with the only blemish by Saisai of all people at the 2019 San Jose.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the corrections! I have edited in Osaka and Andreescu 2019. I've left out Osaka's current streak because, like Sabalenka's, it's still active! (i'm not jinxing anyone lol). Not sure about whether the walkover counts towards it, Azarenka's was before she'd played a single match in that tournament so i'm inclined to think it's a different story for Osaka's withdrawal before the final last year. But I suppose that's up to the individual.

I agree that Sabalenka can potentially reach about the 17 mark. :)

The years listed are accurate so all except Petra's first 2011-2012 streak were within the same calendar year (but she matched it all within 2018 anyway). Osaka and Sabalenka's current win streaks are also broken up by the off season.

Clijsters had a 17 match win streak that stretched from '02 to '03 but had an even better one in the one calendar year in 2005 (as above), and Venus and Serena have had good streaks that crossed the off season when they won the US Open (and some warmups) plus a title in Australia early the next season - like Venus winning the Gold Coast Open in 2002 for example.
Andreescu and Halep both won 17 matches in a row

·
Registered
155 Posts
I must have miscounted Halep (I have updated the list now, thanks!), but I double checked Andreescu and it seems like hers is 16 from the Rogers Cup win over Bouchard to the loss to Osaka in China.
That's because she withdrew against Kenin after she won the first round to Bouzkova.

RG: 1
RC: 6
USO: 7
Beijing: 3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sakkari talks too much trash to get beat like a redheaded stepchild..., funny thing is that sabalenka is the exactly the kind of big hitter that she should beat.., she's all offense no defense with feet of stone.

·
Registered
55,969 Posts

·
Registered
55,969 Posts

41 - 54 of 54 Posts