Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
396 Posts
The mental block is the issue but I really believe she finally, finally, fiiiiiinally got past it. In terms of the draw, with the 8th seed I think as long as she doesn't get in the same block as Serena or a resurgent Azarenka, I think she'll get QF this time. I don't see anyone seed 17 and below that Sabalenka will have trouble defeating in terms of ability.
As if serena counts as a tough draw this days.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As if serena counts as a tough draw this days.
In a HC slam in the 4th round there definitely are many easier opponent in the 9-16 seed. If it was the RG, she probably is a freebie by the 4th round though.

For reference Petra, Serena, Belinda, Azarenka, Konta, Muguruza, Keys, Iga is the 9-16 seeds for AO this year.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am happy for Sabalenka, I like her attitude and commitment to the tour, we would need more top players like her that decide to show up also for medium tier tournaments.

I really hope she can bring this level to AO and reach the final stages of the tournament, I think it's all mental now...but she's tough so I guess sooner or later she'll get her Slam breakthorugh!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
That wasn't a game. it was a shame..... for Sakkari.
Aryna is just in the zone, playing her usual fearless tennis, serving well and making few errors, one of her more clean matches I've seen her play.
Sakkari wasn't that bad, she got a player in prime form who hardly made an error, that happens.
Saba's winning streak is now 14, massive heavy favourite tomorrow.
She's obviously in a good head space at the moment, she looks happy, she enjoys the contest, and loves what she does, getting on court and playing tennis.
If she can get the monkey off her back in the slams in 2021, she will become one of the W.T.A.'s shining stars, a player who is a fun and interesting person,( her instagram is great fun) a player who PLAYS regularly and someone the other players will fear. It will just be up to her.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
She's committed in the middle of the season too, she just isn't good enough at clay/grass to go deep (yet).

·
Registered
32,494 Posts
I'm bummed I have missed all her matches this week but Aryna keeps winning! Well done, girl!

Hopefully a third title in a row tomorrow.

I think her slam problems are more about bad luck (and peaking at the wrong times) than a mental block btw. When her rise first started in summer 2018 people kept criticizing her for not yet having won a title, but since then she has won MANY. It's only a matter of time until she figures out how to peak for slams.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
And Sabalenka did exactly what she needed to do, and what Sofia should have done. Sakkari is super solid but as I’ve been saying all week, does not have the wow factor to beat top players when they are in top form, or near their best form. Not yet anyway. And maybe not ever.

Another great week for Aryna, she’s on a roll and should manage VK tomorrow. I say ‘should’ and not ‘will’ as it’s the modern day WTA after all.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Watch out women of the WTA, Aryna Sabalenka is coming to snatch ALL of your wigs!
However, her grunt is probably the most annoying on tour atm. If it wasn't for that, I'd be a fan of hers.
She's starting to win me over tho, I'll admit! Her fierceness and raw power is amazing to see!
SST says “hi”!
With this win I do wonder where Aryna’s 14 match win streak ends up on this list most wins in a row of active players.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
SST says “hi”!
With this win I do wonder where Aryna’s 14 match win streak ends up on this list most wins in a row of active players.
Of active players, Venus had a streak of 35 matches in 2000, Serena had 34 in 2013.Not sure about anyone else.
If Aryna wins tomorrow that will be 15 matches,, and 3 consecutive tournament wins, who was the last player to win 3 consecutive events they played.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I may have missed someone, but the active record for win streak is as follows:

Venus: 35 (2000)
Serena: 34 (2013)
Azarenka: 26 (2012), though she did withdraw from one event in the middle of that - albeit before playing a match
Clijsters: 22 (2005)
Andreescu: 17 (2019), though she withdrew mid RG run
Halep: 17 (2020)
Barty: 15 (2019)
Kuznetsova: 14 (2004)
Kvitova: 14 (in both 2011-12 and again in 2018)
Garcia: 13 (2017)
Osaka: 13 (2019)
Stosur: 11 (2010)
Zvonareva: 9 (2011)
Muguruza: 9 (2017)
Bertens, Hsieh, and several others have 8.

Venus and Serena would also place on the list several times (Clijsters, Azarenka, and Halep would also have another entry) but I just included their best streak. Sabalenka has a chance to pass 2 of these women if she wins tomorrow, and will tie with Barty.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Of active players, Venus had a streak of 35 matches in 2000, Serena had 34 in 2013.Not sure about anyone else.
If Aryna wins tomorrow that will be 15 matches,, and 3 consecutive tournament wins, who was the last player to win 3 consecutive events they played.
Halep won Dubai, Luxembourg, and Rome last year before losing to Iga at RG.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
This is probably the fastest court we'll see all year, both indoors and outdoors. It fits Sabalenka's style perfectly, but we have to see her patience on the slower hard in Australia.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Azarenka: 26 (2012), though she did withdraw from one event in the middle of that before playing a match
Halep: 16 (2020)

Venus and Serena would also place on the list several times (Clijsters, Azarenka, and Halep would also have another entry) but I just included their best streak. Sabalenka has a chance to pass 2 of these women if she wins tomorrow, and will tie with Barty.
You forgot Andreescu's Toronto/USO streak, and Naomi's Osaka/Beijing streak. Also, if retirement don't count, then Cinci/USO for Naomi?

I think Sabalenka will win tomorrow and probably win atleast two matches in Melbourne 500 making her streak over 17.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts

Azarenka: 26 (2012), though she did withdraw from one event in the middle of that before playing a match
Halep: 16 (2020)

Are these streaks all done within one season? Because IMO a winning streak is much more impressive done within a season than with the off-season inbetween.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts