Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
114,483 Posts
Putintseva just missed beating Kenin in 2 sets. So I expected this winner, not this scoreline.
Sakkari might be a contender in Melbourne.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Putintseva just missed beating Kenin in 2 sets. So I expected this winner, not this scoreline.
Sakkari might be a contender in Melbourne.
Slams are a different story, most of the players can't deal with pressure nowadays. I believe Maria's mental strength is something she really needs to imporve.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Please stay awake next time ,Kennin was fighting back.
Haha... yes I sure will! What a brilliantly strong comeback by Kenin in the final set, LoL!

What happened today with Kenin's Dad though in the final set? Yesterday he was coaching and the umpire asked Kenin to tell her Dad to speak in English while coaching her. What was it today?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don’t think Kenin is ever going to be a big time winner in smaller tournaments. She seems like the type of player who gets herself up for the big moments and comes out flat otherwise.

·
Registered
11,398 Posts
It didn't seem to me like Kenin was investing all of herself in this tournament - all of her matches were kinda meh from quality standpoint and Sofia didn't really seem bothered too much by playing crappy tennis. I think she only played this event to get some match rhytm and timing on her groundstrokes

·
Registered
136 Posts
It didn't seem to me like Kenin was investing all of herself in this tournament - all of her matches were kinda meh from quality standpoint and Sofia didn't really seem bothered too much by playing crappy tennis. I think she only played this event to get some match rhytm and timing on her groundstrokes
My god I can’t with these comments. She didn’t win a match at a Premier level last year and you say that she doesn’t care? She is just exposed. She Took advantage of the weak draw at slams and That’s it. But if the big girls like Osaka Sabalenka don’t fail early she doesn’t has any chance

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Kenin tortured her way through the tournament to get to the quarter finals - it’s no surprise she lost to an in form Sakkari although the match was always on Sofia’s racket. She definitely got good match practice heading into Melbourne - but she’ll need to clean it up now. At least she was still able to make the quarter finals of a premier despite being miles away from her best - clutching at the positives here.

·
Registered
11,398 Posts
My god I can’t with these comments. She didn’t win a match at a Premier level last year and you say that she doesn’t care? She is just exposed. She Took advantage of the weak draw at slams and That’s it. But if the big girls like Osaka Sabalenka don’t fail early she doesn’t has any chance
and I can't with the "Kenin always gets lucky in the slams, otherwise she sucks" crowd either...
Look, I'm neither her fan nor hater, all of my faves are exclusively big hitters, but Sofia always plays her best on the biggest stage when it matters the most - that's a true sign of an elite player and champion and only few possess this uncanny ability to raise their game at the right moment. Kenin is one of those elite players, and all of her detractors will have to deal with it in upcoming years:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
and I can't with the "Kenin always gets lucky in the slams, otherwise she sucks" crowd either...
Look, I'm neither her fan nor hater, all of my faves are exclusively big hitters, but Sofia always plays her best on the biggest stage when it matters the most - that's a true sign of an elite player and champion and only few possess this uncanny ability to raise their game at the right moment. Kenin is one of those elite players, and all of her detractors will have to deal with it in upcoming years:cool:
Yeah encourage someone to get bagelled three times in less than 6 months. She is not Serena to only care about slams. She hasn’t won anything above international except AO. That shows the accident of her win.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some people here are extremely desperate to see the fall of Kenin and it's very very funny 😭 i wonder if there has been a more unnecessarily hated GS champion before than her. I bet not!

·
Registered
52,929 Posts
delightful result :)
now if she could also beat Sabalenka, that would be two for the price of one :D
and icing on the cake: winning the title !

Pame !!

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Maria :D (y):)
Impressive result, starting the year in style.

Will be tough against Aryna in this form. Win-win situation anyway.

·
Registered
688 Posts
So a day after Aryna and Elena bashed the crap out of those poor tennis balls, now they get Aryna and Maria bash the crap out of the tennis balls...well, I got my popcorn ready so bring it on. ;)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Sakkari definitely got fired up by Kenin's dad's behavior, but it's not a good sign that Kenin was cowed by the reaction Sakkari gave to Kenin's dad's behavior. That might be a sign of things to come if players are scouting how to break Kenin mentally in a match. Hope something resolves there, and soon.

It was an ugly match. I've made the point before, and I think Sakkari is a smoother player than either, but her game is very much like Konta and Petkovic - she needs her physicality to be redlining, and she tends to match the player she's up against. Kenin's game is many things, but elegant is not one of them, and Sakkari matched that energy.

The Sabalenka match could be a barn-burner. Sabalenka has gotten the better of the h2h, dramatically so in their last match, but there's no reason I can think of why their games shouldn't match up in an exciting way. Hope it's three sets.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Some people here are extremely desperate to see the fall of Kenin and it's very very funny 😭 i wonder if there has been a more unnecessarily hated GS champion before than her. I bet not!
Nobody would Kenin seen fall. Why do you think that. Nobody hates her. It dad who is the weird guy. But everybody find Kenin a good friendly girl

41 - 60 of 73 Posts