Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,877 Posts
SO great to see her starting to tap into the max of her potential, level wise. I said back in 18/19 that Sabalenka had everything needed to win majors and get to number one, but that she needed to reign it in to ever get there.

Even if she does flop at the AO, something about the manner in which she is playing is most encouraging at all. More measured, calm, not letting one bad mistake unravel her confidence and not panicking when under pressure. She's been dealing with the hard, flat ball down the middle so much better than she used to as well, her timing has been fantastic lately. So long as she doesn't lose in Melbourne by hitting herself off the court, then I'm not sure the result there is everything. What's most important is that she plays the right way, as the results will come by themselves as we're seeing at the moment. It's always possible to have an early loss whilst playing well or the right way, but if she continues in this vein, the slam breakthrough will come.

·
Premium Member
20,178 Posts
What a monstrous performance by Sabalenka! If only she will show this level at Slams... still questionable.
We can only hope.

Commiserations to Kudermetova, still a fantastic week for her and first WTA final. I do think her game does not reflect much beauty of this game, but I do hope that she will develop more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With the way people are banging on about and questioning a breakthrough at slams, you'd think she was at the end of her career. She's literally 22 - it will obviously happen at some point, so I personally don't see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
This court was very fast and perfect for her game, let's see what Aryna can do on slower hard conditions. I expected this one to be a battle, surprised to see it so one-sided.

·
Registered
18,649 Posts
She's been so dominant in most of her matches since the French Open. She's looked truly confident this week, which is great to see. I'd love to see her play against top-level player with exceptional defense like a Halep to see how well her game will withstand that kind of pressure, which can sometimes create more troubling circumstances for a power player like Aryna. But her game has looked much more solid in Abu Dhabi than I've ever seen. I know we can't always trust these stats, but these low UE counts have been impressive and promising.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Aryna :) (y):D👾💪
3rd title in a row!

Let's just hope she brings this form at AO. Breakthrough slam is long overdue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
She played like a boss, and congratulations!.., now goodluck in Australia but don't do what you're prone to do..., lose against defensive ball retrievers, oh lose like clockwork to better ball basher with better defensive skills. She should make the round of 16 then lose to anyone of the top eight 12 seeds.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Aryna is still on fire🔥, which is great to see!
Hope she brings this form to the AO and finally goes deep at a Slam!

·
Premium Member
41,998 Posts

When I watch this I can't say i'm impressed with Sabalenka. As early as she'll face a consistent opponent, able to keep her strokes in the court, I feel she can change to an error machine. I don't see consistency in such match. On aesthetic terms, I prefer the striking of Kudermetova or Rybakina. I feel those two can develop to consistent players. I don't see this with Sabalenka. She's feisty, but she doesn't construct her points. She has improved on a vicious slice, though (pretty much like Sharapova or Azarenka in the past as well) that won her nice points in this event.

She's already sound tired on some serves in this final. If she exhausts physically before the AO, she won't arrive there in great shape. Apparently, everything is very physical with her. She plays with enthusiasm, I guess it reflects her personality. I can accept the way she is, no problem. But my points here above are just about tennis and how I see her chances to win a big one. That can work if she doesn't face any consistent player in her draw - I mean, a consistent player able to control her fired up shots. There are a few on the tour, certainly.

That said, Aryna may know that even better than me, why she feels and plays fully her chances on fast hard courts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having to Quarantine your blistering hot streak by close to 3 weeks doesn't suit sabalenka at all..., all it's going to do is let the more talented players catch up and start playing well. I feel for sabalenka.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Now to think of it, the only time they played each other was the 4R of 2018 USO wasn't it...that was a damn close match, and we all know what happened afterwards to Naomi where this was the farthest Aryna got to in a slam so far. I wonder how the perspective would've been had Sabalenka won that match...

Age wise they are only about 7 month apart, and both got the power and stamina to go head to head against each other, and they both entered top ten around the same time, and both won their first title in 2018, and both won Newcomer of the Year (Naomi 2016, Sabalenka 2018). Both of them are much better and mentally stable compared to 2018, and could be another fun match.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts