Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Awesome from Sabalenka today, NID, Kudermetova tried her best, but she was in a different league today.
If Aryna can somehow bottle this for the slams, she would be a nightmare for the tour.
Agree with many of the other comments about her, she's strong, much more reliable, her clarity, just a shame there is now the quarantine break.
Obviously she will play one of the Melbourne events, would it be a good time to lose a match before the slam or not, whatever despite her poor G.S. record, she has to be in the top 3 chances.

Looking forward to Jimmie48's photos of her final, as Aryna always gives good photo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kinda weird feeling, but now that Aryna won 3 in a row I'm not sure what I want from her in Melbourne 500. I'm not sure if I want her to win again and enter AO with something like a 20 game winning streak to add on extra pressure, or lose a tight match to reset her win streak but that might effect her psych.
She really shouldn’t play Melbourne 500. She played 6 matches with good opponents. Doesn’t need to be tired for the goal in AO. Especially she plays Doubles too so it’s gonna be too much.

·
Registered
688 Posts
She really shouldn’t play Melbourne 500. She played 6 matches with good opponents. Doesn’t need to be tired for the goal in AO. Especially she plays Doubles too so it’s gonna be too much.
But with the quarantine, she'll get 2.5 weeks of forced rest. I'm not sure taking off almost a month before the slam is a good idea.

·
Registered
136 Posts
But with the quarantine, she'll get 2.5 weeks of forced rest. I'm not sure taking off almost a month before the slam is a good idea.
Djokovic never play before AO and he won it so many times. It doesn’t mean anything to play. It’s only 3 weeks off. Not 6 months

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Sabalenka is not Djokovic. Ostrava. Linz and Abu Dhabi consecutively are very impressive - but the real test of whether Sabalenka is a contender is to see how she does in either Melbourne 1 or Melbourne 2.

Reactions: Pavliukin

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ostrava. Linz and Abu Dhabi consecutively are very impressive - but the real test of whether Sabalenka is a contender is to see how she does in either Melbourne 1 or Melbourne 2.
Litteraly don’t care in Melbourne 1 or 2. We want this in AO

·
Registered
688 Posts
Djokovic never play before AO and he won it so many times. It doesn’t mean anything to play. It’s only 3 weeks off. Not 6 months
Aryna isn't exactly Djokovic though, where the AO is like his back yard and the favorite at all time. Not to mention, barring injury has he taken a full month off before AO with no live matches? Today is January 13th, and the first day of the AO MD is February 8th. Depending on the schedule, it could be as late as February 10th for her 1R match which is closer to 4 weeks off. Add on that the matches are going to be every other day, taking it all off sounds like a bad idea to me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Kudermetova's aggressive returning reminds me a bit of Garcia when she is dialled in. Anyway, she kept fighting and mostly was calm, but yeah, she was just outclassed. Unfortunate for her to get fast court Sabalenka as a final opponent, but she can take a lot of positives from this week. If she keeps this up she could reach the top 20.

As for Sabalenka, her scary form continues, and another title in the bag! More than the way she was bludgeoning her opponents to death this week (both physically and verbally with her screams), I was impressed by her improved control this week. She's really worked on her counterpunching abilities and has added a bit of dimension to her game. Many times when Kudermetova hit a return/groundstroke with great depth and hitting the lines, Sabalenka was able to return it with good depth herself or outright win the point. She was also fairly stingy compared to usual with her UEs especially in the latter half of the tournament, which is impressive considering how much force she hits her shots with.

Now she needs to somehow bottle up this form and bring it to slams. Let's see what happens!

Edit: Stats:

View attachment 183904
i condemn u. How can u compare BIG VEROCHKA with a flop! Vero has a variety in her game. I wish grass season comes as quick as possible so that she does not have to spend 45 hours to win her matches and has still stamina left in her for the finals.

·
Registered
18,472 Posts
I will bet 100 euros for Sabalenka final victory in the Aopen.
I cant see anybody beating her.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Sabalenka has had a good run of late, her power game really too big for many players. Wonder if she can actually perform at the upcoming AO.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Scary good tournament for Arysha. Nice to see her finally realising her potential.

I think she should play Melbourne before AO to try and cement this level in her psyche. Like others I'm not sure whether I want her to continue the win streak into AO or not??

As for AO, whilst i wouldn't want to pile on the pressure, I do think anything less than SF is a flop! I guess draw will have a bearing on that as always. Her countrywoman Vika took a while to finally crack the slams I believe. Let's hope Sab's is following a similar path (sans pregnancy).

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
???

That's not been the case for years now. Djokovic played Doha before the Australian Open in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019, and the ATP Cup in 2020. In 2018, he was coming back from an injury, didn't play Doha, and lost in the R16.

·
Registered
136 Posts
haahah Saba hype train. Hibi is coming for her!
If Stephens has been able to win a slam after being out of tennis for a year everybody can achieve that. There is no dominance in the WTA. Even the favorites flop sometimes

·
Registered
468 Posts
Watching the final now - it's occurred to me that so much of her success is rooted in the serve.

The ace count may only be around 5 per match but at least triple that amount are unreturnable, and a lot of the time she's setting herself up for the winner on the third shot. She's serving bombs at the moment.

There was a period where she was hitting double digit double faults. If that was to return I think the hype train would shudder to a halt. It's not something you realise without watching the match as it's not evident from highlight reels or match stats but it's so important.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Watching the final now - it's occurred to me that so much of her success is rooted in the serve.

The ace count may only be around 5 per match but at least triple that amount are unreturnable, and a lot of the time she's setting herself up for the winner on the third shot. She's serving bombs at the moment.

There was a period where she was hitting double digit double faults. If that was to return I think the hype train would shudder to a halt. It's not something you realise without watching the match as it's not evident from highlight reels or match stats but it's so important.
When she first got on tour , the serve was by far her biggest weapon , Now , her forehand in particular has gotten so much better. Of course her big serve gives her many ‘easy’ points , but her ground game is really good just on it s own .
Like , I have not seen Aryna for example play horrible tennis and still make it through just because of her serve , whereas , Serena and Barty have plenty of matches where the serve is the only thing working and they still win

·
Registered
934 Posts
Congrats Sabalenka, play so well so aggressive.

Kudermetova is very very bad performance in this match. She can't return serve and make errors from everywhere.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts