Tennis Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Bright Like Neon Love
13,433 Posts
lizchris said:
It is belittling them becasue many people act as if they have very little fans in the sport. I know that not everyone likes them, but everyone doesn't hate them either.

BTW, you can serarch for yourself, but it was from the thread I started saying predicting that the women's final would be moved to 4:00 if the Belgians were the finalists.
No, if you're going to bring a hypothesis or an argument to the table, then it's your responsibility to provide proof. I work for a newspaper, and if I had published something along the lines of what you wrote, I would've gotten suspended (maybe fired!), and sued for libel.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
Originally posted by Lizchris
I'm sorry if I came off as nasty, but, honestly, the sister hating has to stop.
So does the Sampras' "hating". I know it was a one-time comment but to say that someone quitting makes you sick is not far from some of the horrendous things I read about the sisters. :)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,315 Posts
Thanks lizchris - but I want to tell you, if you're out to snuff out the Sister Hating.... you've got the WRONG guy. :)

I will admit, I did get very tired of the "woah is me, neither are playing, the tennis sucks, and nobody should or will watch". That really irked me - the post of some of the WS fans. My fave hasn't played since May 28th. May not ever play again. I think all WS fans should just keep this ONE Slam in perspective.

I do miss them, really. I enjoy what they bring to the game, honestly. I just am getting tired of the gloom and doom attitude. Tennis WILL survive without them. That's all I was trying to say.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Seles said:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=84192

Tickets were already sold - they're not changing the time/date now. Your post made it seem like "nobody" would watch tv and the ratings would be like 0. I was trying to get you to see that some of US like tennis. And WE like to watch tennis on TV.... no matter who it is. Your gloom and doom story was getting old at that point.

I hope, for your sake that the ratings do suck. That way you have something to banter about... but for me, I think it's a great tradition for a primetime final and something I personally am looking forward to watching every year, no matter who is in the Final.
I like watching great tennis too, but I wouldn't have watched this year's FO final for you know what. For one, I won't bring up Justine's hand incident, but I stand by what I said about her previously doing what she had to do to get to the final, but that is in the past and the other, accuse me of being nationalistic, but I like to watch when an American is in the final.

As a fan of Venus' and Serena's, I'll admit that their first two finals weren't that great, but the most recent one was the best so far.

·
Bright Like Neon Love
13,433 Posts
lizchris said:
First, I am one who apologizes when I accuse people of something they didn't do, so I will apologize about you belittling the sisters' Grand Slam accomplishments becasue you didn't.

I treated you like I did becasue as a fan, I am sick and tired of the many on this board who act as if Venus and Serena are a burden to the game of tennis, not an asset, like the other tennis players and belittle their accomplishments. That's why I (and some other Williams sisters fans) feel we have to bring up anything positve that they do. I also point out when their fellow players say negative things about them becasue they just come off as petty and resentful, something the sisters have stayed away from doing. Even people who don't play anymore take a swipe at them (Martina Navratolova in Sunday's NYT Magazine). I'm sorry if I came off as nasty, but, honestly, the sister hating has to stop.
Well, I'm glad to see you apologized :) I don't like to see the sisters bashed either.

And let me clarify my above post: Working at a newspaper and posting on a message board are obviously not the same thing, but it kind of illustrates how dangerous accusations can be...especially if they're without merit! You really have to be careful!

That's why I really try to watch what I say on this board. (Although I seem to be in a slightly feistier mood today...hmmmmm...wonder why? ;) )

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Martian Julien said:
So does the Sampras' "hating". I know it was a one-time comment but to say that someone quitting makes you sick is not far from some of the horrendous things I read about the sisters. :)
That I am not apologizing for for the following reasons:

1) I was agreeing with what someone else was saying
2) He knew damn well he was going to retire, but he signed up for torunnaments anyway
3) Again, another player who had something negative to say about the sisters when unprovoked. The sad part is that they looked up to him.

·
49,315 Posts
What did he say bad about the sisters?

On the ATP, all the top players are automatically entered into the Masters Series and Slams, so it wasn't his choice to enter those - he did have to withdraw. The other events, Int'l Series, etc, I don't know how they work.

I'll miss him, and I did think it was a very nice tribute.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Seles said:
I hate *all* negativity! :)
Monica gets bashed almost above all, but I don't get down about it. I just keep moving on and ignore the trolls.

;)
The one person I stay away from ever basing is Monica becasue of what she has gone through in her life and career. It is a shame that for all she has done, she will be remembered mostly for being stabbed and I am still angry that the person who did it only got 18 months in jail, when if he were in the US, he'd still be in jail.

·
49,315 Posts
Actually, his sentence was suspended - he served only "up until" his trial. Then a few nights being evaluated and set free. It was nowhere near 18 months. :sad: Unfair, for sure.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Seles said:
What did he say bad about the sisters?

On the ATP, all the top players are automatically entered into the Masters Series and Slams, so it wasn't his choice to enter those - he did have to withdraw. The other events, Int'l Series, etc, I don't know how they work.

I'll miss him, and I did think it was a very nice tribute.
He said about Venus serving at 127MPH that either she probably didn't know where she was hitting it or that she proabbly didn't know she was hitting it that fast. About Serena, he once asked her if her blond braids were real. She said no and allegedly gave him a funny look. He called her arrogant.

Regarding the Slams, I know he was automatically entered into those, but I don't think he was ranked high enough for automatic entry into TMS, but he did enter the ohters, including the FT tournamenr in Arizona, where his brother is the tournament director.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Seles said:
Actually, his sentence was suspended - he served only "up until" his trial. Then a few nights being evaluated and set free. It was nowhere near 18 months. :sad: Unfair, for sure.
That's even worse!

I just know this person committed another crime, but we just don't know about it.

·
4,495 Posts
lizchris said:
That I am not apologizing for for the following reasons:

1) I was agreeing with what someone else was saying
2) He knew damn well he was going to retire, but he signed up for torunnaments anyway
3) Again, another player who had something negative to say about the sisters when unprovoked. The sad part is that they looked up to him.
1) Agreeing with someone doesn't make it ok. I saw someone call Serena a baboon here once. It wouldn't have been fine by me if someone had said "I agree".
2) He explained it quite well during his press conference. He wasn't sure whether he would retire or not. After he made up his mind (around Wimbledon), he didn't enter any tournament as far as I know.
3) I remember his comment about Venus ( but not about Serena, when was that?) and even if this was harsh, is it enough to say that he makes you sick?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Martian Julien said:
1) Agreeing with someone doesn't make it ok. I saw someone call Serena a baboon here once. It wouldn't have been fine by me if someone had said "I agree".
2) He explained it quite well during his press conference. He wasn't sure whether he would retire or not. After he made up his mind (around Wimbledon), he didn't enter any tournament as far as I know.
3) I remember his comment about Venus ( but not about Serena, when was that?) and even if this was harsh, is it enough to say that he makes you sick?
It became pretty ovbious to me by March that he wasn't coming back. If he wasn't sure that he was going to retire, then he should not have entered the tournaments havvng tournament directors believe he was going to show up (this is the same thing the sisters are criticized for).

I agreed that the retirement ceremony was making me ill, not him.

·
4,495 Posts
lizchris said:
It became pretty ovbious to me by March that he wasn't coming back. If he wasn't sure that he was going to retire, then he should not have entered the tournaments havvng tournament directors believe he was going to show up (this is the same thing the sisters are criticized for).

I agreed that the retirement ceremony was making me ill, not him.
So you're telling me that you are criticizing someone for something Venus and Serena are also criticized for, yet it's ok to criticize Sampras?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Martian Julien said:
So you're telling me that you are criticizing someone for something Venus and Serena are also criticized for, yet it's ok to criticize Sampras?
Venus and Serena, who are not retiring, are ALWAYS criticized for pulling out of tournaments. All I said was I think he knew around the beginning of 2003 that he was going to retire bu he registered for tournametns anyway. BTW, this is the only time I have cirticized Pete (or anyone for that matter) for pulling out of any tournament.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.