Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else notice that Maria always goes crosscourt with the backhand? I first noticed it against Frazier. Amy would run toward the open court, and Maria would go behind her (i.e. crosscourt). At first I thought it was smart, and then I noticed that Maria went crosscourt with nearly every backhand. I then watched for that in the Sugiyama match, and Maria had that pattern again. She did try the down-the-line backhand a few times, but she missed most of them. I think it's an uncomfortable shot for her. Players will pick up on that soon, and it's something Maria will have to develop to keep winning.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
yeah she does usually go cross court with the backhand, a few times against lindsay she went down the line with it but only in the 2nd and 3rd sets when she was more confident with her game. i think its a confidence shot for her.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
And not just that....her movement as well....I think Serena´s gonna feel pretty relieved tomorrow compared to yesterday because I don´t think Maria´s gonna bring back a lot balls like Momo did.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
bandabou said:
And not just that....her movement as well....I think Serena´s gonna feel pretty relieved tomorrow compared to yesterday because I don´t think Maria´s gonna bring back a lot balls like Momo did.
Indeed, it's not Masha's style to play long rallies, she rather goes for winners in 2-3 shots. But, Good God it's so spectacular !!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Maria won't need to run if she can hit a great shot early in the point.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Just gonna about who will start the points with the first bang...most of the times it is Serena in her matches, we´ll see how it´s gonna be tomorrow.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Knizzle said:
It won't hurt her that much against Serena because Serena shys away from the DTL backhand also.

well, she did hit a couple of beautiful dtl backhands yesterday...that´s how she reached mp.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serena might have hit a few d-t-l, but her tendency is to go crosscourt. She has the same tendency with her forehand, though if the ball is in the middle of the court she likes to go inside out. One reason Kim Clijsters has had some close matches with Serena is that she reads Serena well and gets to those balls.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
Playing mostly crosscourt is what low grass bounce forces you to do. Hitting off the low bounce over the highest part of the net is low percentage play. No one plays a lot of down-the-lines on grass.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
ys said:
Playing mostly crosscourt is what low grass bounce forces you to do. Hitting off the low bounce over the highest part of the net is low percentage play. No one plays a lot of down-the-lines on grass.
I think you technically mean "shorter distance to net" for the ball to rise, not height difference. And has Sharky had this pattern on hardcourts, etc?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
jenglisbe said:
I noticed that Maria went crosscourt with nearly every backhand. .
not trying to be rude, but do you play tennis??

even if she goes crosscourt most of the time, it's not like people can just stay in the ad-court whenever she hits a backhand. as long as she DOES hit down the line, her opponent will have to keep that covered anyway. so how is this a weakness?

a lot of players hit mostly crosscourt on their backhands. hewitt does. and he won wimbledon.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
And I thought that she won the second set yesterday on DTL BH.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Serena might have hit a few d-t-l, but her tendency is to go crosscourt. She has the same tendency with her forehand, though if the ball is in the middle of the court she likes to go inside out. One reason Kim Clijsters has had some close matches with Serena is that she reads Serena well and gets to those balls.
Serena hits the DTL forehand very well and with frequency.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
jenglisbe said:

Yep.....but she can hit that forehand dtl just fine, thank you!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
People are too defensive. I never said Serena couldn't hit down-the-line, so why point out that she has? I am talking about patterns/tendencies.

hollywood - Yes, I play tennis. And I think players should lean to their left when Sharapova hits crosscourt. If that's not the shot she's most comfortable with, and if it's hard on grass, then sort of forcing her to hit is a good play. If she hits a few good ones, then her opponents can start standing in the middle a little more.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,950 Posts
jenglisbe said:
People are too defensive. I never said Serena couldn't hit down-the-line, so why point out that she has? I am talking about patterns/tendencies.
It is not being defensive. It's just a plain inferiority complex. Never mind.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I'm concerned with Maria's forehand returns in the ad court. She stands too far to the left and Davenport kept beating her down the middle with serves to the forehand. I expect Serena to be able to fully expoit that.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Like Serena says, "The lion is the king of the jungle."

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Movement is a weakness for Maria????? No way. Sharapova is quite quick. As for her BH, usually she goes DTL just as much as CC. Her weakness is her serve. Yes it is a weapon against lesser players, but against the top players, aka Serena and Justine, the serve will be attacked from shot 1. But Movement and BH DTL are both not problems for Maria IMO.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts