Tennis Forum banner

Who can raise their rank with smarter scheduling and tournament selection?

• Myskina?

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Mauresmo?

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Hantuchova?

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Venus Williams?

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Capriati?

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Dokic?

Votes: 10 32.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Member,
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following players are in something of a ranking rut. They've either slipped, or are struggling to take the next step up in the rankings. We all know that appropriate scheduling and tournament selection (Tier I, Tier II etc.) can play a huge part in determining ranking potential. We've seen Patty Schnyder crack the top-10 on the back of winning many Tier III and Tier IV titles one year. We've seen Amelie Mauresmo turn up fresh at the big events and score enough scalps to stay in the top-6. And we've seen Jelena Dokic playing in excess of 28 tournaments per year, when only 17 results count towards the ranking.

So, the question is: Which of the following players, who is currently in something of a rut, do you think can most realistically change to their scheduling/event selection to get out of the rut?

Myskina (stuck in the 8-12 zone but rising) - she needs to concentrate on playing (and doing well in) more Tier I and Tier II events, and enter smaller events more selectively.

Mauresmo (stuck in the 4-6 zone) - the long breaks for recovery seem to harm her. She actually should try to play more often, train less often, and get her body used to playing more. Concentrating on the Slams and an additional 12 Tier I and Tier II events should reap the points.

Hantuchova (stuck in the 9-15 zone and slipping) - she's tended to spread her points too thinly over many events (25+). She should reduce her schedule, train less, and focus more on her surface strengths (hard and indoors) to retain belief and week-in week-out motivation.

Venus Williams (stuck in the 3-5 zone and slipping) - long injury breaks mean that she's either permanently rusty or fragile. She should take the rest of this season off, and come back with a more balanced schedule next year, where she plays tune-ups such as Eastbourne and Sydney.

Capriati (stuck in the 5-8 zone) - needs to experience tournament winning more often. Should really consider temporarily replacing some of her Tier I and Tier II commitments in favour of a couple more Tier III events.

Dokic (stuck in the 10-20 zone and slipping) - needs to rethink her whole game and approach. Could do with getting away from tennis for a couple of months, and then coming back with a reduced schedule, perhaps incorporating doubles again.

·
Read Only
15,328 Posts
I think you're right about Capriati...after all, playing in (and winning) some Tier IIIs a few years were the springboard for her great comeback. If she' s recovered mentally though, she should have no problem winning Shanghai, and the confidence that would bring would be a huge boost.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
I would say Dementieva of the top 10 players is the one who can benefit from this policy the most, but I think if Cappy stepped down occasioanlly to get some big match wins (ie Close out matches, and win a tournament in the process), the hopefully some of that ablility will come in the bigger tournaments.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Well i think Jelena is much better than she is playing at the moment, and I think she will be able to get bak to where she was. She definately deserves to be a top 10 player with the way she CAN play .... she just needs to find her game again, shes at her lowest right now, so from here she can only go bak up .... good luck Jelena :)

·
Senior Member,
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my personal view is that of these players, it is most realistic that Dokic can gain from smarter scheduling. I think Venus could too, but it's not as realistic.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
baleineau said:
We've seen Patty Schnyder crack the top-10 on the back of winning many Tier III and Tier IV titles one year.
that's a bit unfair. yes, winning the smaller tournaments has a big help, but she still beat a lot of quality players that year eg hingis, novotna, graf, mauresmo, testud, majoli and many others and also made two GS quarter-finals and a 4th round. she also made the final of a tier I if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
15,464 Posts
venus should just start playing more tier 1's!its annoying she lets serena nab all of em!serena is smart though.

dokic, well, at the moment, she should quit most of the tier 1's and 2's and concentrate on the 3's and 4's. since the opponents there are not as good, she should start winning and this will give her some confidence.

myskina, well, she played well in the 3's and 4's and when she got the confidence, she began doing well in the higher tourneys and grand slams. dokic must do the same. personally i dont think she has the game to do better, but u never know.

momo, just stop getting injured.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
I was gleeful when I watched Dokic start her free-fall down the ranking cause I don't believe she has deserved the high rank she held for a long time (when she first got it she deserved it but shortly after that....) but I do believe she has more talent then her current ranking and coule make it back to top-10 top-15 rankings

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.