Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a story that appeared in the Herald Press in Connecticut on Sunday in advance of the New Haven tournament. The author of the story is Scott Caiccola.

"The WTA Tour is brimming with players who possess booming serves and blistering groundstrokes, a style of baseline play rooted in improved fitness and ever-evolving racket technology. But in the end, this power game may have arrived at the expense of net play and strategy.

"Martina Hingis was probably the last person who played with her brain," said Alexandra Stevenson, the 1999 Wimbledon semifinalist. "I mean, she really played tennis like a chess match. I’m not saying everybody’s stupid, but she used her brain on the court."

Stevenson hit some balls with Hingis in Germany last October and marveled at Hingis’ ability to place the ball, with startling precision, wherever she wanted. "We were having 50-ball rallies," Stevenson said, "and she was probably the best practice I’ve ever had."

It turned out to be Hingis’ last practice. Plagued by chronic foot problems, she hasn’t played a match since and her career appears finished. Her departure may represent the end of an era."
------

I find these to be interesting quotes from Stevenson, a player who in the past was quoted by other publications, especially ESPN the Magazine, as having said some pretty nasty things about Hingis.

Maybe she actually got to know Martina and found she wasn't such a bad person afterall? Someone who saw that practice said they got along great!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Martina :sad:

·
Registered
15,464 Posts
ok. why the fuck is it that all the players i really cant stand are turning out to be nice?i need someone to hate!oh yeah....daniela, dokic, capriati...but i'm actually beginning to like jen.and i hope the D's start improving.

MYSKINA!hate the skank.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
I think this has to close out any discussion about Juju being as good as Hingis. Hingis actually could beat the sisters on any surface.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Interesting comment. Although we don't know the future and I really and truly doubt that it will ever happen, Martina Hingis would probably make one of the greatest tennis coaches in history.

Unfortunately for tennis, she has said she has little or no interest in coaching.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Playa said:
Yeah, I remember that one.
but she was talking for herself
she's the only brainless powerplayer afterall.
Exactly what I thought when I read the piece. After all this time, it wont be bad, if she starts winning matches or tournaments, instead of whinning all the time!

·
Registered
877 Posts
bandabou said:
I think this has to close out any discussion about Juju being as good as Hingis. Hingis actually could beat the sisters on any surface.
Oh. So, Alexandra Stevenson says something, and it is the truth?

Alexandra can better ask Justine for some advices on how to reach the top rankings without playing powertennis!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
well, i think its a little easier for Stevenson to be complimentary of hingis since hingis is out of the game...

but I'm not surprised at the content of her remarks, when hingis was on.. UEs were FEW and far between. that is why watching her at the us open last year (was it last year?) was so painful to see her spraying balls...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just because you are a great player does not mean you would make a great coach even if you were so inclined.

Havent you noticed there are some great coaches who were never great players?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True, in fact, most great athletes don't make great coaches, because they can do it so easily and their pupils cannot.

But Hingis is an exceptionally intelligent player and works well with people. She's a social animal in many ways, unlike a lot of tennis greats like Graf or Evert who were pretty much loners.

Plus Hingis has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the game that few other players possess.

I think she'd be a marvelous coach, but as I said, it's not going to happen, because she has moved on to other indeavors.

FYI, while Hingis considered herself a "difficult pupil" to coach, I have heard from those who watched her learning other things one of the secrets of her success.

She listened very closely to what she was being taught. That's one reason why she has proven to be adept at lots of other sports she tries. I have known people who watched her playing in pick up soccer games with both men and women on the field and they said she was the best one there.

She is a remarkable athlete (something many people over look), but she also listens carefully and absorbs information very quickly.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Alexandra in a 50 shot rally... and not dying on the court because of her fatness...

Alexandra acting like she knows how to use her brain on, or off the court....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Good one, Alex... it's people like you that make this world so easy to laugh at.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.