Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since yesterday I feel Serena has been getting a lot of flak for some comments following her loss to Mauresmo. While, I don't agree with the "She wasn't playing her best tennis", "blah blah blah" excuses, I do feel it is incorrect to put up threads such as "Mauresmo spanks Serena's big butt" and then picking on her. I found some quotes from the Home Depot Championships which she made after beating Smashnova in a not-so-spectacular match.
I'm no fan of Serena's(am indifferent to her), but I feel some people on this board seem to attack every move she makes, every statement she makes. I think that's unfair.
And as world number one, you do have to have a lot of self-belief in yourself and a lot of confidence in your abilities. So what, if she said she felt she played badly? Does that take anything away from Amelie's win. It doesn't for Amelie or any of her fans, I assume. It doesn't for me. One more thing, why can't we hold all the players to the same standard, rather than having different rules for different players?

Q. So overall, give us a grade tonight. How do you feel you played?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I would give myself -- well, I'm a hard grader. I judge technique and errors. I would give myself a C- for what I could do. You guys don't know all the stuff I can do. I haven't done all the stuff I can do. There is a lot of room for improvement.

Q. Did you have an A effort at all this year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: For effort, yeah.

Q. How about performance?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, for sure. I had a couple different A performances. Some matches early on in the US Open up until the semifinals, I think I played well. The matches went really fast, and I was really focused and I didn't lose many games. A+ was Wimbledon semifinal against Amelie Mauresmo. I played out of my mind.

Q. Have you come here with that focus?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't think I was focused enough tonight. I think I could have zeroed in on a few more shots. I think I made way too many errors today. I don't like to use that as an excuse. Monica Seles, whenever she lays off for a while, she comes back and wins and keeps winning. I try, when I'm off for a while, I think about her. If she can do it, I think I can do it, too.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
its against the rules to be impartial when discussing the Williams Sisters...you will get run out of this place ;)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Nice post, hingis-seles. You're the first breath of fresh air I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BK4ever said:
its against the rules to be impartial when discussing the Williams Sisters...you will get run out of this place ;)
Well, then, I guess I'd better brace myself for what lies ahead. :devil:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Great post. I feel that in articles about Serenas loss her quotes from the interview were taken out of context. If you read the whole interview you will see that she did give Amelie a lot of credit, but its just in her nature to be a perfectionist and be critical of herself all the time. Thats what it takes to be such a great champion as she is today. I dont think its fair that people on this board jump all over her at the slightest hint of anything less than what they expect.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
H-S, you're all class :)

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
''It was not good,'' Mauresmo recalled her plight after five games, as down and dusty as the court. ''I had to keep fighting, hope she'd come down from her level a little. Serena just doesn't lose if she keeps that up. It was important for me to keep playing my shots.''

(http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/138/sports/It_s_a_stunning_display+.shtml)

If Amelie doesn't have a problem saying it, why should anyone have a problem with Serena saying it?

Great post h-s. You're preaching to the choir, but great post :)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
hingis-seles said:

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't think I was focused enough tonight. I think I could have zeroed in on a few more shots. I think I made way too many errors today. I don't like to use that as an excuse. Monica Seles, whenever she lays off for a while, she comes back and wins and keeps winning. I try, when I'm off for a while, I think about her. If she can do it, I think I can do it, too.
:worship:

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
LOL!!!!!
This kind of positive thread about Serena will be buried into obscurity - for sure.

Reactions: selesfan

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
It must not be known that such a positive thread ever existed!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Nice thread and it's so true but to answer your question as to why people hold different standards for Serena .. well it's because she is black and she wins alot.

hingis-seles thanks for the nice post.

GO SERENA!!!

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Since yesterday I feel Serena has been getting a lot of flak for some comments following her loss to Mauresmo. While, I don't agree with the "She wasn't playing her best tennis", "blah blah blah" excuses, I do feel it is incorrect to put up threads such as "Mauresmo spanks Serena's big butt" and then picking on her. I found some quotes from the Home Depot Championships which she made after beating Smashnova in a not-so-spectacular match.
I'm no fan of Serena's(am indifferent to her), but I feel some people on this board seem to attack every move she makes, every statement she makes. I think that's unfair.
And as world number one, you do have to have a lot of self-belief in yourself and a lot of confidence in your abilities. So what, if she said she felt she played badly? Does that take anything away from Amelie's win. It doesn't for Amelie or any of her fans, I assume. It doesn't for me. One more thing, why can't we hold all the players to the same standard, rather than having different rules for different players?

Q. So overall, give us a grade tonight. How do you feel you played?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I would give myself -- well, I'm a hard grader. I judge technique and errors. I would give myself a C- for what I could do. You guys don't know all the stuff I can do. I haven't done all the stuff I can do. There is a lot of room for improvement.

Q. Did you have an A effort at all this year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: For effort, yeah.

Q. How about performance?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, for sure. I had a couple different A performances. Some matches early on in the US Open up until the semifinals, I think I played well. The matches went really fast, and I was really focused and I didn't lose many games. A+ was Wimbledon semifinal against Amelie Mauresmo. I played out of my mind.

Great post but not sure why you don't think Serena did not play great tennis after being within two points from winning?

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jakeev said:
Great post but not sure why you don't think Serena did not play great tennis after being within two points from winning?
Thanks.:) I never said Serena didn't play great tennis, in fact I specified that I do NOT agree with the theory that Serena didn't play well. :wavey:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't blame Serena for being angry with herself for losing that match. When a player of her calibre is two points from a match, there is absolutely no excuse, barring extreme injury for losing. Absolutely no excuse. On a positive note I'm sure that Serena has learned from this experience and will move on with the knowledge no match is over until the last ball is struck, the last point is won.

Now it's on to the French. Go Williams sisters take all the slams!!!

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
DevilishAttitude said:
BUMP.

Shows Serena can be classy but has difficulty most of the time which is a shame. :sad:
Actually, just shows you have too much time on your hand more than anything :wavey:

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
And that, folks (refer to my essay), is how a professional acts!

You may not like her style of play, you may not like her personality, but you cannot deny that Serena is one of the most influential figures in the WTA.
Jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts