Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Would someone be able to tell me if it is commonplace to handwrite the small letter k like it is in English with a loop at the top? Or is that only in English where most people do it?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, and I was also wondering if you have ij on the keyboard? Not that there's much of a difference in appearance ;)

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
that loop is just what you're teached at primary school...not many people write it later in their lives! But yeah, it's there ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
adnil said:
that loop is just what you're teached at primary school...not many people write it later in their lives! But yeah, it's there ;)
uh I think most people write a loop while writing a small k

·
Team WTAworld, Destroyer of the Ring
5,336 Posts
adnil said:
not here! We write it like k!
I do the same, I write like I type lol.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
In French, some people draw the loop, some don't. I couldn't give a reliable percentage, but as a rule of thumb, the older you get, the lazier ;) (Except for really ageing people whose calligraphy was more tightly controlled when they were kids!)
As for "ij", actually you can find it as a "special character" in Word, for instance, and various encodings. But it is not necessarily a good idea to type it as one letter - it should be more confusing than anything else for readers using search functions...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies.

Yes that's what I meant Josh :)

But when you say you have y do you mean with the two dots above it?

I was just wondering if it was an English thing or in most latin alphabet languages. To me, the looped k is easier to write but without it it looks better.

gmt good point I hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just thought of another question. If your surname starts with IJ where is it listed in the phonebook?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts