• I'm an French Belgian and feel more related to the French

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired to make this poll by a discussion I had with Lynx in another thread.

So what I wanna ask is this :

1) English Canadians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, French Canadians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters, the Americans?

2) French Canadians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, English Canadians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in France?

3) Flemish Belgians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, French Belgians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in The Netherlands?

4) French Belgians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, Flemish Belgians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in France?

VOTE!

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically Lynx says that language is a more important link than sharing a history withing the same state.
I believe that a shared history withing a same state creates a common identity that is stranger than the linguistic ties with other countries.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Josh said:
*Keeping this up*
Stop talking dirty and stuff. :eek:

I won't vote (doesn't apply to me).... But I don't think many Americans feel too connected to anyone in Canada. I think they're pretty separated, except maybe near the borders.

Americans are snobs, well *some*, ok a lot, of Americans are. Some of us ( :wavey: ) have a more global view than is normally held.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Seles said:
Stop talking dirty and stuff. :eek:

I won't vote (doesn't apply to me).... But I don't think many Americans feel too connected to anyone in Canada. I think they're pretty separated, except maybe near the borders.

Americans are snobs, well *some*, ok a lot, of Americans are. Some of us ( :wavey: ) have a more global view than is normally held.
Not only that, but a lot of Canadians do NOT want to be associated with Americans ;)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
As long as there is that long imaginary line betwixt us. ;) I love Belgians. I love the Frenchies. I love Canadians (both English and French speaking), ... 'cept I have a hard time understanding their Candian-French when they speak. It's a different dialect than I can understand. I can get most of it... but not all. It's like extra 'uh's and 'eh's everywhere I swear. :)

·
Banned
350 Posts
None of the above. I'm an English Canadian who is actually related to the English. Although America is close in proximity, I don't have an affinity for it at all. My family came originally from England and that is what I consider my second homeland. I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling throughout Quebec. It's a lovely province but I don't feel connected to it at all. I harbour no resentment towards the Quebecois, by the way. While I recognise them as fellow Canadians, I feel closer to the English I suppose cos of the language and my own family's roots.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Kiswana said:
None of the above. I'm an English Canadian who is actually related to the English. Although America is close in proximity, I don't have an affinity for it at all. My family came originally from England and that is what I consider my second homeland. I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling throughout Quebec. It's a lovely province but I don't feel connected to it at all. I harbour no resentment towards the Quebecois, by the way. While I recognise them as fellow Canadians, I feel closer to the English I suppose cos of the language and my own family's roots.
If I had to choose I'd say that I feel closer to the Brits than I do to Americans. Which I suppose is odd, seeing as I walk by McDonalds everyday ;)

·
Mean Admin Machine, Admeanistrator
36,597 Posts
Flemish Belgian, more related to French Belgian, and i don't feel related to the Dutch at all.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I'm a Belgian, not at all dutchman :)

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Rebecca said:
If I had to choose I'd say that I feel closer to the Brits than I do to Americans. Which I suppose is odd, seeing as I walk by McDonalds everyday ;)
hey Rebecca! i know we brits rule :D :D :D and i have to say this though... you are right coz sometimes i associate US with canada for some reason :confused:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
flemish french-speaking belgian, feelm uch more related to french belgians than to dutch or franch people......

1 - 20 of 46 Posts