Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i know that this is the men's tennis forum but i wanted to ask a serious question about grips and thought that i might get the best answers here. what kind of grip is this that Paola is using in this picture. what is it called? and what's the advantage to the player of using such an extreme grip? (i'm currently experimenting with changing my grips, hence the question). thanks!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumpity bump?? :confused:

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
The extreme backhanded forehand :p

Hell, Eggy?

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
tennischick said:
yeah i know that this is the men's tennis forum but i wanted to ask a serious question about grips and thought that i might get the best answers here. what kind of grip is this that Paola is using in this picture. what is it called? and what's the advantage to the player of using such an extreme grip? (i'm currently experimenting with changing my grips, hence the question). thanks!

it gives a lot of topspin... clay courters use this grip (most of them)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay, I debated whether or not to answer but since nobody else has, I'll take a stab at it. Don't quote me on this, but I think that's the extreme western forehand grip. I don't think anybody uses eastern grips anymore, but I readily admit I could be wrong. As for why she's using such a grip . . . I'd assume it's to add a lot of topspin to the ball.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
It reminds me the grip Berasategui used, I'm not very sure but I think almost all Spanish use it now

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
That and smaller players will have a tendency to use that grip. It's easier when you have to hit lots of balls at shoulder level or above.

Berasategui's grip was so western that it was called hawaiian grip (seriously) :D.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
yeh thats the extreme western, used by many clay courters to generate the most spin...actually its so western that is could be hawaiian!!!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all :kiss: i'm gonna experiment with this bec i need to add more topspin to my game. i hit the ball too flat still. thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts