Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't get this girl. Her glaring weakness (her serve) was exposed at the US Open, but yet she goes on to beat Chanda in straights, who had beaten her the last two times they met, and now finds herself looking at a rematch final a week later.

Now, I know these are lower-tiered tournaments, but shouldn't some of these players (aka Sharapova) be picking apart her service games?

I'm beginning to think she is the line separating the Williams', Belgians, and Capriatis from the others. If she can blow past players ranked below her, then they must be extraordinarily weak compared to the top 6-7.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
she can outhit pretty much anyone outside the the top 10 and her first serve isn't half bad when it's on. It's just her second serve that's horrendous...and even Justine has problems with that because it's too slow.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,904 Posts
OK, if most of players have problems attacking it, why is it horrendous then? Just because it looks bad? Who cares how it looks, all that matters is how it looks from the other side of the net.

Hingis's second serve didn't look half as bood, yet it was an easy prey for any hardhitter.

· Registered
7,256 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I should try her tactic! I mean, if it works for her, then maybe it'll work for me. Slow and low? I think I can handle that... :lol:

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Look I think that it works against certain players. Maria should be picking off the serves of many players, she has played but has failed to do so.

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
its hard to attack a half-volley ;)

· Registered
22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, if her second serve is "unattackable" why can the top 5 dispatch her so easily :confused:

· HAND SCRAPED
6,694 Posts
My serve can be kinda like that sometimes.... its the crappest pile of stinky poo you've ever seen in your life, but the bounce is basically non existant. People either shove it in the net or it goes 100ft loopy in the air as they're scooping it from the floor.

If I get just a half decent angle on it, especially out wide, the point seems to be mine.

It sounds totally bad, but I don't mind it at all when people with crap serves win. I can so relate lol.

· NeverWoz
25,696 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Okay, if her second serve is "unattackable" why can the top 5 dispatch her so easily :confused:

Amelie couldn't do drap against it. Justin had trouble with it in Toronto. It is a weakness for her, but only against the top players who can punish it effectively, MORE consistantly then the lower ranked players.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
That serve can work against the non-elite, but good returners like Serena and Jen will smoke that serve anyday. Must work on it, otherwise she won´t reach true elite status.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Actually Serena really got pissed off with it in the wimby doubles match

· Registered
47,657 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Actually Serena really got pissed off with it in the wimby doubles match
Really?! I think they didn´t even want to play that doubles-match in the first place....and they were already dead-tired from their qrtr-finals matches.

Serena wasn´t that worried in the fourth round though! Heck, Elena only held serve THREE times the whole match.

· Premium Member
39,016 Posts
Ryan16 said:
Amelie couldn't do drap against it. Justin had trouble with it in Toronto. It is a weakness for her, but only against the top players who can punish it effectively, MORE consistantly then the lower ranked players.

neither could lindsay. i expected her to be all over that 2nd serve, but she hit UE after UE off that serve... :confused:

· Registered
7,880 Posts
yeah the surprising thing for me was how easily Serena and Jen attacked Elena's 2nd serve when it had bothered players like Henin-Hardenne(consistently bothers her) and Davenport...you can say that Justine likes hitting against power and doesn't like generating her own on a return (case in point: Kapros), but Lindsay? :eek:

btw, her 2nd serve isn't 'horrendous', I was hyperbolizing. It just seems to be predictable (almost always that wayward toss and a slice out wide) and slow.

· Registered
16,898 Posts
Hi TF! :wavey: It's strange seeing you here. ;)

You gave the perfect counterpoint to ys. The top 5 dominates Elena. But she can pretty much hold her own with the rest.

LOL @ Eggy's half volley quip! :p

· Registered
22,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Cat. :wavey: back to you.

WTA is going through a slow period, IMHO. Men's side is much more interesting at the moment. I'd like to see the Russian girls pick up more power to make things interesting again. I will be monitoring Dementieva, Sharapova and Kirilenko in the nextyear.

· Registered
16,898 Posts
Da TF! :) The progress of Dementieva, Sharapova and Kirilenko will be worth following next year. They are my 3 favorite Russina's. :D

And you're right about men's tennis being more interesting than women's tennis at this time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.