Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think while we criticise the organisers for making the tournaments a complete shambles, maybe this also highlghts what a fantastic job they do at Wimbledon about getting the tournament to run as smoothly as possible despite consistent problems with the weather.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
liuxuan said:
I think while we criticise the organisers for making the tournaments a complete shambles, maybe this also highlghts what a fantastic job they do at Wimbledon about getting the tournament to run as smoothly as possible despite consistent problems with the weather.
Very good point! You know, last night I was reading through some tennis history (self-admitted addict for the stuff), and found this article where in 1969 Rod Laver won the Grand Slam at Forest Hills on Monday afternoon, and they actually brought in a helicopter to dry the grass, and he wore spikes!

·
Spaghetti Warrior
6,944 Posts
liuxuan said:
very true :)
But then again....Wimbledon is really awful to watch :eek: with those ugly ugly covers at the side of the court :tape: Where are the ads?!? :fiery::rolleyes:

seriously....:yeah: @ Wimbledon

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You have to remember, there's a rain delay every year at Wimbledon (Rain EXPERTS). Last year was the 1st time in 6 years US Open (Rain AMATEURS) had a rain delay, and it only lasted a couple hours. This year is their worse year, let's wait and see if they learned from this experience.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I also noticed that at Wimbledon the ballboys and girls are faster, more alert and better disciplined. In NY they seem sluggish and unfocused.

I would suggest they work on their fitness via a regime of short sprinting exercises combined with regular sets of press-ups, sit-ups and star jumps. After that they should improve their focus and reaction time with intensive one-on-one sessions opposite a ball machine, anticipating and catching the balls at near point blank range. Additionally they should all be given a three-year course of anabolic steroids starting at age 10, and prior to the Open they should be put on speed and changed round as soon as it starts to wear off. As one final point, I think their outfits could look nicer as well.

·
Spaghetti Warrior
6,944 Posts
victory1 said:
You have to remember, there's a rain delay every year at Wimbledon (Rain EXPERTS). Last year was the 1st time in 6 years US Open (Rain AMATEURS) had a rain delay, and it only lasted a couple hours. This year is their worse year, let's wait and see if they learned from this experience.
Imagine them NOT learning from this experience :eek:

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Aren't the ballkids at the US Open like 80 yrs old ???

maybe thats why they're slow.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You make a good point, liuxuan. It speaks volumes that the Wimbledon staff recognize that the weather is one of their biggest foes during the championship and that they take every precaution to account for it. Unfortunately, that great achievement probably falls on deaf ears right now.

The world's eyes are focused like a lazer beam on this indescribable example of bad luck run amok. While I sympathize with the staff, they never prepared for this much rain and failed to adjust to the eventuality 48 HOURS AGO. I'll sit back with the rest of the viewing public as they pat these executives on the back for "doing a great job". But, I don't believe Ted Turner, Donald Trump, Bill Gates, H. Ross Perot, or Michael Eisner would ever accept this level of incompetence. This is an utter fiasco and heads should roll. But, of course, they won't. This is way past what I would like to see as a lil' ol' tennis fan. This is a multi-million dollar operation and these guys look like key stone cops!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
controlfreak said:
I also noticed that at Wimbledon the ballboys and girls are faster, more alert and better disciplined. In NY they seem sluggish and unfocused.

I would suggest they work on their fitness via a regime of short sprinting exercises combined with regular sets of press-ups, sit-ups and star jumps. After that they should improve their focus and reaction time with intensive one-on-one sessions opposite a ball machine, anticipating and catching the balls at near point blank range. Additionally they should all be given a three-year course of anabolic steroids starting at age 10, and prior to the Open they should be put on speed and changed round as soon as it starts to wear off. As one final point, I think their outfits could look nicer as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In other words- stop bringing in political favors and get professional!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Andy brought two pairs of shoes last night. One for dry and one pair that gave him better grip and traction when courts started to get wet!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Originally posted by controlfreak

:lol: :haha: :lol: :haha: :lol: :haha: :lol: :haha: :lol: :haha:​

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
victory1 said:
OMG i swear there were a lot of delays at last years open too!

anyway, the amount of money the USTA make with that over-sized staduim, expensive food, and million and one sponsors, it REALLY wouldnt take much out of their fat wallets to buy a few covers..

and the USO was my fave slam until last year :)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Maybe they should invest in one huge tent, covering the whole tennis grounds. ;)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
victory1 said:
A couple hours = 2 days :confused: Because at least 1, if not 2, days were rained out last year over the weekend.

Regardless, this is a Grand Slam championship. They should have this shit covered whether it happens or not. It's called "being prepared". Even Roland Garros has covers, and the clay can take up some rain!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts