Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided that for my FAMOUS POST #2000 .... an anniversary of tennis sharing & caring, of sorts... I want to post a suggestion.

And that is for all BFTP folks to EMAIL THE TENNIS CHANNEL and THANK THEM for airing classics!!

This past Thanksgiving a full week of classics were shown; they aired in crisp, clean, HD digital quality the following:

Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1976: Orantes v Ashe, Semi Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1977: Borg v Connors, Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1978: Connors v Vitas, Semi Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1978: Borg v Gottfried, Semi Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1979: Borg v Connors, Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1980: McEnroe v Vilas, 3rd Pl Consolation Final
Pepsi Grand Slam Challenge : 1980: Borg v Gerulaitis, Final

these were truly the 7 wonders of the world...ok, thats going too far. But it was so damn good!!! And we all know people complain like children when things stink but how often do we make sure to PRAISE the powers-that-be so that they know it is truly appreciated.

Even if you DONT have the tennis channel, you DO have access to seeing this footage from those who take time to record these presentations. And even if you dont do that, I think people from around the world are getting an education in the beauty of the sport in its classic form, from having broadcasts like these shown. And that helps all of us interested in the history of our sport.

So raise your glass
, and raise your internet browser & praise them for a job well done with encouragement for MORE!!

Here's their email, pls get to typin': [email protected] :)

and that...is my 2000th post. :worship:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Daze, I'll probably follow your suggestion, but I do envy all of U so much for having Tennis channel and classic matches!!! I don't have any of that here :sad:
and even our national sports channel never airs old matches, even those they broadcasted live about 12 or 14 years ago. Maybe some day I'll be as happy as you, COria love-sick boy!
PD: Guillermo the Elf Coria made his debut as tennis live commentator on TV very recently, d'U want me to share my impressions with you on this forum?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daze, I'll probably follow your suggestion, but I do envy all of U so much for having Tennis channel and classic matches!!! I don't have any of that here :sad:
and even our national sports channel never airs old matches, even those they broadcasted live about 12 or 14 years ago. Maybe some day I'll be as happy as you, COria love-sick boy!
PD: Guillermo the Elf Coria made his debut as tennis live commentator on TV very recently, d'U want me to share my impressions with you on this forum?
no, i am of course very UP on coria (so to SPEAK!!!!!) and i know how he did....his voice is WONDERFUL, silky smooth and so masculine for such an elfish chap!! but he was a bit slow, and not surprisingly, over-thought his "commentaries" to the point that he was not really able to get up to speed. This could improve, but I prefer he improves his oncourt NERVES than worry about this kind of out. :)

he's coming BACK, baby!! january EL MAGO returns!!! and THIS time, he wont be a big mess & not get any serves in & lose to #600 ranked players.... :help:

hmm... i better pray for more classic matches to keep my interest in this sport alive. :lol:

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
What a great idea Daze. I shall email them. Who knows, they might start showing some more classic women's matches! :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
no, i am of course very UP on coria (so to SPEAK!!!!!) and i know how he did....his voice is WONDERFUL, silky smooth and so masculine for such an elfish chap!! but he was a bit slow, and not surprisingly, over-thought his "commentaries" to the point that he was not really able to get up to speed. This could improve, but I prefer he improves his oncourt NERVES than worry about this kind of out. :)

he's coming BACK, baby!! january EL MAGO returns!!! and THIS time, he wont be a big mess & not get any serves in & lose to #600 ranked players.... :help:

hmm... i better pray for more classic matches to keep my interest in this sport alive. :lol:
Glad you enjoyed his debut on TV; I must say I did like how he did it, he was insightful and interesting and mentioned some things only pro players know or feel; even when Argentine weren't doing well on that weekend (which was plenty of times)he a bit critical but loyal to his colleagues: Coria was really fine, and it didn't seem slow to me, but everyone has his opinion I guess.
BTW Daze, do you understand Spanish?

To keep track on this thread, I guess I'd rather have more classic women's tennis matches, much more than men's game. Enjoy it anyway!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW Daze, do you understand Spanish?
only by osmosis! i'm around spanish people all the time, particularly colombians. they teach me things (so to speak) and i am listening, in fact, right now to silvio rodriguez!! but i am in touch with argentinians for coria info (we call ourselves 'corons'... a combination of morons & coria supporters), and in truth, some people from his camp email me sometimes to keep me informed.

To keep track on this thread, I guess I'd rather have more classic women's tennis matches, much more than men's game. Enjoy it anyway!
they have shown womens matches...chris, martina, steffi, the awful bore sanchez.... not so much gabby yet!!!! a few years back, billie jean king & margaret court, wade, & goolagong were shown.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
, particularly colombians. they teach me things (so to speak)
oh Ive been taught a thing or two by colombians, and loved every goddam minute of it! ;)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I'm a great believer in regular oral practice with some good firm correction ;-)

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
LOL... Hi Boys!!

I love reading BFTP, even if i dont post often!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts