Tennis Forum banner

261 - 266 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
What I'm a bit concerned about is that if Serena doesn't play past the US Open (which I agree is the most likely scenario), she'll have another four-month break from competition and a new layer of rust to shake off when she does come back. With this sort of scheduling it's difficult to really get into any kind of rhythm. So from a purely athletic standpoint, I think there are only negatives to Serena calling it a season after the USO. Not that I am upset - at this point I am at peace with whatever she decides to do.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
What I'm a bit concerned about is that if Serena doesn't play past the US Open (which I agree is the most likely scenario), she'll have another four-month break from competition and a new layer of rust to shake off when she does come back. With this sort of scheduling it's difficult to really get into any kind of rhythm. So from a purely athletic standpoint, I think there are only negatives to Serena calling it a season after the USO. Not that I am upset - at this point I am at peace with whatever she decides to do.
She still hasn’t had any extended training blocks. If she does end her season after the USO (which I hope she doesn’t but she may) she will finally have time to do an extended training session that’s more than a month like before the FO. She’ll have 4 months to really get back into shape. She’s almost there but she’s still not quick off the mark and her serve isn’t potent. She does not need match practice in my opinion if it’s not against Stephens, Halep, Svitolina, or Kerber. Her eyes will be on the Oz prize just as she said it would be earlier this year

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
I don't know I just feel honestly that as much as Patrick was like high on narcissism before the pregnancy saying Serena was winning because of him...lol. I have to say that I feel like whenever he's not around anymore...she's half hearted in her workouts and her overall investment into the game. So 4 months could be a good idea...but will she end up waking up and start working out only one month before the AO...IMO very likely.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The problem I see is this: Serena does actually need matchplay to gain confidence (not much, though). Yet, I don't think her body can take a 2015 schedule (much less a 2011-2014 schedule).

When you have time away, the tour can leave you behind pretty quick (see Hingis). She hasn't gotten a chance to slowly adjust to these girl's new levels like she would have if she never left tour. She's going by what she knows from the 2015-2016 seasons (just think how WORLD different players like Svitolina, Halep, and Stephens are from now and then.....and she struggled against them back then).

I guess as long as she commits to working really hard that 4 months it should be fine. It's not as hard to jump in cold in Australia as it is in other points of the season. However, she cannot think she can just sit on her ass and eat bon bons for 12 weeks and then roll out of bed 4 weeks before Melbourne and think she can half ass her way into form like its 2015-2017 again. I worry about that part. She could have went hard back to work the DAY after the Osaka loss in Miami, yet didn't get seriously 4 weeks before RG. I'm a little bit more lenient on her progress from December to IW. She didn't get a clean bill of health until a few weeks before the Penko Exho, and she improved a lot by IW time.

All this being said.....I'm not all that doomsday on her form heading into the US Open? Not sure I think a win is within the realm of possibility as I thought it was heading into Wimbledon. However, she was pretty sharp against Kvitova and was going through the gears. An enth more of confidence was the difference.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think y'all are being a little tough on queen. She has proven time and time again she's the hardest worker on the tour. I think with all the health scares and Olympia being so young, she took this year as a warmup. Whatever happens, happens. But she seems to be in this for the long haul, and I am very confident she comes out in Australia swinging and thirsty for a win. If she did that much damage at Wimbledon with all that damn rust on her, I can't imagine what she'll look like come January.

Remember, this is the woman who still has yet to lose before the SF of a major since USO 2014. That's a pretty amazing record, obviously excluding the w/o at the FO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, it doesn’t make sense to not play a couple of tournaments after the open. It’s not like she’s had a busy schedule. Plus She’s getting better with each match and a 4 month break might make her take a few steps back. If she manages to win the US Open she would need to do well in China in order to qualify for YEC. But the way I see it, it would help buffer her ranking for the rest of next year as well as give her more matches under her belt which is a win/win.

261 - 266 of 266 Posts