Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shame Serena couldn’t pull it out the bag. But she played well and fought hard. All heading in the right direction. This win would have done her wonders heading into the open. But she can still take a lot of positives away. Annoying because we know she would have most likely beaten her next opponent.

Has Serena said before that she doesn’t want to go to China with Olympia?

I’d imagine she would play 1-2 more tournaments after the open. She hasn’t played very much. And it would help buffer her ranking for the beginning of next year. I think qualifying for year end will be a major challenge. The top 6 are pretty much decided. But Serena is only 1000 points away from number 8. So if she can win the open she would actually very likely qualify. Otherwise do you think she would bother playing the mini YEC?

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
the serve is concerning... and Petra has her number.. 3 losses in a row.
2 losses in a row. You must’ve done a quick search on google for the H2H and saw Kvitova has 3 wins in her column on stevegtennis but one of those is a WO

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #243

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Uhmmm..... if that's true, so why are we all nervous when we see Cornet on Serena's side of the draw? :shrug:
Not saying that Serena will never beat Petra again, but it's an opponent that if Serena isn't clicking, it can pose a challenge.
I'm not nervous when I see Cornet :shrug: Maybe that's because I tend to go by how they are actually playing rather than incorrectly googling H2Hs like you.

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #245

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
Shame Serena couldn’t pull it out the bag. But she played well and fought hard. All heading in the right direction. This win would have done her wonders heading into the open. But she can still take a lot of positives away. Annoying because we know she would have most likely beaten her next opponent.

Has Serena said before that she doesn’t want to go to China with Olympia?

I’d imagine she would play 1-2 more tournaments after the open. She hasn’t played very much. And it would help buffer her ranking for the beginning of next year. I think qualifying for year end will be a major challenge. The top 6 are pretty much decided. But Serena is only 1000 points away from number 8. So if she can win the open she would actually very likely qualify. Otherwise do you think she would bother playing the mini YEC?
No, and hopefully she won't ever outright say it. Clijsters once made some remarks about skipping the Asian swing for safety (air quality) reasons and got dragged. :lol::eek: Most of the moms on tour skip the Chinese tournaments.

We'll find out soon enough though. Wuhan list is out and Serena isn't on it. Beijing's list will be released in 6-7 days.

No way she'll play MM Zhuhai YEC. If she plays that late into the season, it'll be for the Fed Cup final IMO.

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
No, and hopefully she won't ever outright say it. Clijsters once made some remarks about skipping the Asian swing for safety (air quality) reasons and got dragged. :lol::eek:

We'll find out soon enough though. Wuhan list is out and Serena isn't on it. Beijing's list will be released in 6-7 days.

No way she'll play MM Zhuhai YEC. If she plays that late into the season, it'll be for the Fed Cup final IMO.
I am 100% sure her seasons ends after US Open.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Her ROS was similarly mediocre at Wimbledon so that's the one area that I really don't see a tremendous amount of improvement on.
Serena said at Wimbledon in press that she was returning well at RG. Serena is never a reliable narrator of her own game :lol: Serena's ROS is pure shite. Petra aced her (at least once) 3 feet inside the service box. Serena did not move, lean, or even come close to reading it. It's been under-reported that Serena's ROS has slowly regressed the last 5 years (hence her habit of becoming Federer-like on BPs and openings in return games. Almost all those misses end with her fucking up the ROS). However, there was SOME progress tonight. She was keying in on Petra's serve for awhile and blasting some vintage ROS winners. She was not doing that at RG or Wimbledon.

I think a match tough Serena would have weathered Petra's treeing attempts in the 3rd set. She would have gutted out the holds and kept her nose in front and won a match. That's why a win like this would have been so critical for Serena. This comeback is all about regaining confidence. That will be the key to getting back on top.

The US Open will be her last tournament of the year, no doubt. I wouldn't mind another tournament or 2, but I also don't want to risk another San Jose. Serena just isn't ever going to be motivated to play these random R1 and R2s in random ass tournaments anymore. That's just not where Serena's career is at anymore. Most of it is down to the fact that it doesn't pay to play the tour (like it does for the ATP). Though, she desperately needs another extended training block. Due to the C-Section, she only really had 1 extended training block before her true comeback which is why she is behind the 8-ball. If she gets serious about training, she could come out swinging in Australia and these girls won't be ready.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
No, and hopefully she won't ever outright say it. Clijsters once made some remarks about skipping the Asian swing for safety (air quality) reasons and got dragged. :lol::eek: Most of the moms on tour skip the Chinese tournaments.

Is that WTT like event still going?? The one that makes up teams of WTA and ATP players? I could see her doing that or maybe some exhos. I think her target after the USO will be Oz.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
I'm not nervous when I see Cornet :shrug: Maybe that's because I tend to go by how they are actually playing rather than incorrectly googling H2Hs like you.
If you say so...;)

so you telling me you predicted the losses to Cornet based on form?! :unsure: :bolt:

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
2 losses in a row. You must’ve done a quick search on google for the H2H and saw Kvitova has 3 wins in her column on stevegtennis but one of those is a WO
Ah the WO.. how could we forget. ;)

·
Registered
53,487 Posts
3-6 6-2 3-6 loss to Kvitova in Cincy R2 :sad:

Gavrilova (no weapons, perfect opponent for Serena) is no Kvitova :p

At least it was not a one-sided loss and she won a set :lol:
Still too many UEs. And her serve is not as strong as it used to be.
Serena must improve her consistency and fitness a lot.
She is getting better of course, but still far away from her best.
Her serve, footwork/movement, speed, consistency and fitness must get better.
It will be interesting to see how far Serena will go at the US Open ...

As for Petra, congrats on another win over Serena.
This older, slower Serena with a worse serve and more UEs suits her.
Let's see if Petra keeps this high level up or if she only played her best vs Serena.

Everyone plays their best tennis vs Serena ! Unfair :ras:
Look at Kvitova now, Kerber, Azarenka, Cornet, Razzano, Bammer, Vinci ...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
These losses are getting more and more common now I seriously lost all interest after Wimbledon so I am not expecting anything exciting at the US Open based on current form anything beyond 3rd Round will literally be a miracle, I haven't watched a Serena match or any tennis since Wimbledon I didn't watch the Final as I thought she was going to win it I still don't understand how she went from playing so well all tournament to the performance in the Final but I have been keeping an eye on her results as much as I would love to see her win the US Open it is the one Grand Slam I want her to get this year I am prepared for a Slamless year just hoping it doesn't take 4 attempts to get to 24 like it did with 18 & 22 I will not be watching the US Open as it will be upsetting if she loses.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Uhmmm..... if that's true, so why are we all nervous when we see Cornet on Serena's side of the draw? :shrug:
Not saying that Serena will never beat Petra again, but it's an opponent that if Serena isn't clicking, it can pose a challenge.
You may be nervous about Cornet vs Serena, but not me. I always believe in Serena. ALWAYS, and when I've shown the least bit of doubt or worry is when I've seen her playing vs Vee (For obvious reasons), or when there was an injury or fitness issue (Like there is now), and in Ree's case she's making her way back from a difficult post-pregnancy, and she still took Petra to 3 sets last night, and had a serious chance to win the match even with her laking match toughness/match play. Now, they'll be a time when Ree's too old to get anymore out of herself on court and while that time IS approaching. IMHO though, she's not at that point yet. It's one thing for Serena to lose etc., and for her to be criticized or critiqued for various reasons when she loses, but ......

Like I said, some of ya'll Serena "fans" :lol:

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
You may be nervous about Cornet vs Serena, but not me. I always believe in Serena. ALWAYS, and when I've shown the least bit of doubt or worry is when I've seen her playing vs Vee (For obvious reasons), or when there was an injury or fitness issue (Like there is now), and in Ree's case she's making her way back from a difficult post-pregnancy, and she still took Petra to 3 sets last night, and had a serious chance to win the match even with her laking match toughness/match play. Now, they'll be a time when Ree's too old to get anymore out of herself on court and while that time IS approaching. IMHO though, she's not at that point yet. It's one thing for Serena to lose etc., and for her to be criticized or critiqued for various reasons when she loses, but ......

Like I said, some of ya'll Serena "fans" :lol:
Me..?? Mehh.. it's funny because I didn't make all those comments in the montreal thread when it was Cornet 1r and then Kerber 2r.

Anyways: saying that a result indicates that there's still some work to be done doesn't mean that one doesn't have believe that Serena won't be able to overcome the challenge. :shrug:

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #257

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
These losses are getting more and more common now I seriously lost all interest after Wimbledon so I am not expecting anything exciting at the US Open based on current form anything beyond 3rd Round will literally be a miracle, I haven't watched a Serena match or any tennis since Wimbledon I didn't watch the Final as I thought she was going to win it I still don't understand how she went from playing so well all tournament to the performance in the Final but I have been keeping an eye on her results as much as I would love to see her win the US Open it is the one Grand Slam I want her to get this year I am prepared for a Slamless year just hoping it doesn't take 4 attempts to get to 24 like it did with 18 & 22 I will not be watching the US Open as it will be upsetting if she loses.
So basically you only like Serena when she's winning and the going is good. Gotcha.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
241 - 260 of 266 Posts