Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Will be playing a top 8 seed R3 at the USO if they don't adjust her seeding. And tbh they shouldn't adjust it. :shrug:

Hopefully USO won't be her last tournament of the year. Should really play Linz :)rolls:) and/or Luxembourg if she doesn't wanna bring Olympia to China.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Echoing basically everyone here, but she needed a match like this. Long, tough 3-setter to try and dial it in. There was so much improvement from San Jose to here, from ROS to her ground game (seriously, there were shots where she'd come running in from the baseline to hit that fh up the line before this tournament that I'd freeze and cringe before she even hit the ball :lol:), so I'm excited to see what form she'll be in with a couple more weeks of prep heading into USO. It's a little concerning how much her serve has fallen off since Wimbledon, but I trust the team to do what's right to have it ready for New York. Once again it's onward and upward, USO is probably it for this year so let's hope she can make the most of it! :cheer:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Her ROS still remains her biggest weakness, at least to me.

Kvitova went wide on the ad side every single time in the last service game and besides MP #1, Serena lost every single point on the ad side, because she just didn't prepare for the ball to come to that side.

Her ROS was similarly mediocre at Wimbledon so that's the one area that I really don't see a tremendous amount of improvement on.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
^^^^That's fair, and I agree that it's still the weakest part of her game thus far. I do think that her movement has improved quite a bit, which can only help with ROS moving forward (which was maybe why I thought it had already improved, even if she wasn't necessarily putting the ball back in play - things were honestly even more abysmal back in the beginning at IW and Miami). Let's hope that that's the area they work on the most between this season and next.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The thing I don't like is that she doesn't have a BIG win yet. She failed pretty epically in her other 2 bids against Top 10 players, this was her closest. She NEEDED one of these wins heading into the Open.

Nice to see that Petra finally got rid of her FUPA after all these years. I still don't know why PETA doesn't go after her ass. She sounds like she's mutilating a dog on court.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
If she ends up playing a top 8 player I just hope its Garcia or Svitolina. She could draw Kvitova too as third place because theres a good chance Kvitova won't make it that far lmao.

The US Open might be the penultimate tournament of the year for her. I can probably see her play one extra tournament but if she doesn't play another one I hope she makes the most of the US Open. Might not win it but she needs a win against a top player again just so she has confidence she can beat a top player again.

a huge improvement from San Jose. Her return is still quite bad but it was better than all of Wimbledon. I blame the fact Kvitova is a lefty and she hasn't played a top player with a big serve since Venus. Her own serve though is the most concerning part. I excused IW and Miami because it was her first two tournaments on the comeback, the French because it was clay and her first slam back, and even Wimbledon because of the pec injury clearly hampered her. But theres no excuse why she's serving under 50% first serves in. If she served 55% or higher she would've won this match. Definitely. Oh well we live and we learn. Better to lose here and learn from the mistakes than to lose at the USO and have her year ended

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
^^^^That's fair, and I agree that it's still the weakest part of her game thus far. I do think that her movement has improved quite a bit, which can only help with ROS moving forward (which was maybe why I thought it had already improved, even if she wasn't necessarily putting the ball back in play - things were honestly even more abysmal back in the beginning at IW and Miami). Let's hope that that's the area they work on the most between this season and next.
Physically, her weight is stabilizing, and if she can get back to 2016 form physically when she won her last singles slam :inlove:

She'llbe there, and the footwork, ROS, confidence will all be there with her. The lack of a consistent serve is getting a bit troubling :help:

We know she has to PLAY for her reflexes etc. to become sharper, and she's not gotten near enough match play. All in all though, coming back from where she started (C-section/weight gain/embolisms and dealing currently with the postpartum), she's not in such a bad place: #26. Remember, 6 months ago, she could barely make it to the mail box. Hell, the match tonight was winnable vs Petra if Ree was more match tough. She fought hard, took set 2 and took this match to 3 sets--was up a break vs an in form, top 10 player. She needed that. I was all for her having softer matches when she first began her come back for various reasons, but Ree has reached the point where while she may not be 'there' YET, she's damn close enough where she must start working her way thorough TOUGHER MATCHES and getting those tough match WINS.

IF her mind stays positive (postpartum), and if the overall health/knee holds up, she'll be IN the place she needs to be IN to set herself up for a legitimate run at and win of singles slams 24 & 25 :worship:

Ree & camp will continue working on her game, and Mackie will continue working on her fitness with her.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
the serve is concerning... and Petra has her number.. 3 losses in a row.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
You sound just like my friend who used to tell me continually that JJ had Ree's number too: Serena's 11-4 vs JJ lifetime.

Good grief. Context is completely LOST on Some of ya'll :lol:
Petra is no Jankovic though... sometimes a comment is just that: stating a fact. At the moment Petra is a tough out for Serena.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
:sad:

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #237

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Petra is no Jankovic though... sometimes a comment is just that: stating a fact. At the moment Petra is a tough out for Serena.
When you say "at the moment" are you including Serena's last two losses to Petra, which are over two years apart? That's a loooong moment.

As Claudia said, context is important. Something you often seem to miss, Bandy :lol:

Serena will get there. I've missed the matches but the results are encouraging. Don't worry, I'd bet that you'll get to see Serena straight set Petra and end their rivalry on a win before all is said and done.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
When you say "at the moment" are you including Serena's last two losses to Petra, which are over two years apart? That's a loooong moment.

As Claudia said, context is important. Something you often seem to miss, Bandy :lol:

Serena will get there. I've missed the matches but the results are encouraging. Don't worry, I'd bet that you'll get to see Serena straight set Petra and end their rivalry on a win before all is said and done.
Uhmmm..... if that's true, so why are we all nervous when we see Cornet on Serena's side of the draw? :shrug:
Not saying that Serena will never beat Petra again, but it's an opponent that if Serena isn't clicking, it can pose a challenge.

221 - 240 of 266 Posts