Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Justine Henin has ushered in a new era of women's tennis by accomplishing something no one has been able to do in over a year: eliminate Serena williams in a major. Not only that but henin claims the distinction of being the only one since Jennifer Capriati in 2001 to beat Serena back to back.

Clearly Henin has set herself up as a legitimate contender for the grandslams and major tournaments.

Meanwhile the russians have started a rush to the top by taking out american bulwarks jennifer and venus. Gone are the days when people thought only an up and coming junior could challenge the dominance of Venus and Serena. The challenger are here already in the form of nadia, vera, meghan, justine, kim as well as in the faces of jennifer and lindsay, players on the tail end of their careers striving to catch that moment of glory one more time.

Serena remains the best tennis player in the world however now justine and momo and the others have overcome their mental weaknessess, physical weaknesses, and poor court strategies to give the number one and her sister a run for the trophies.

As a Williams Sister fan I welcome the heated firece competition because it means my two favorites will have to work harder, grow stronger both mentally and physically and rise to the occasion which they are more than capable of doing.

So in the immortal words of Kristen Dunst, " BRING IT ON!"

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
:)
nice set and it's true :)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I think people will apreciate the Williams' with more competition, which is great.

Its also good to see that players not ranked in the top 50 are doing well at slams. Two fingures to those that say womens tennis has no depth and is not entertaining in the first week of a slam *comic spit*!

But then again lets not get carried away. It was the French open, which has always been an even playing ground for most players.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
nice post! :D

I think a lot of players, when they faced V and S last year, were beaten before they stepped on the court and subsequently rolled over during the match. It was refreshing to see players like Drake, Callens and Loit challenge my girls and it made the wins SO MUCH MORE SWEETER.

Reactions: Sanneriet

·
Registered
441 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
I think people will apreciate the Williams' with more competition, which is great.

Its also good to see that players not ranked in the top 50 are doing well at slams. Two fingures to those that say womens tennis has no depth and is not entertaining in the first week of a slam *comic spit*!

But then again lets not get carried away. It was the French open, which has always been an even playing ground for most players.

Here, Here! I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's see how Wimby shakes out for Christ sakes.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"It done already been brunt!"

·
Registered
595 Posts
Very often neither sister (but especially Serena) gets credit for their amazingly complete games. Partly because the competition has not been stiff enough for them to show off some of their talents. That is why I always enjoyed SW/Capriati matches. Maybe a new circle of challengers will help change that. I also like seeing a variety of faces holding up the winners trophy.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
nice to know, but in the end, in the back of everyone's mind, we will know that justine beat serena b/c of the crowd, or the crowd be serena to help justine. but at the end of the day the haters and non haters can still look at it as Justine beat Serena back to back.

But nothing has changed honestly. I will be surprised if Justine ever beats serena williams again. Cappy did the same thing, beat her back to back, but that was all she wrote. Serena seemed as if to vow never to loose to the Name Capriati ever again.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Justine will beat Serena again, I promise you :kiss: ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
nice to know, but in the end, in the back of everyone's mind, we all knew that SerenaSlam was never going to give Justine any credit.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
gourownway said:
Here, Here! I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's see how Wimby shakes out for Christ sakes.
here is an interesting statement.

but the question out of all that is, why should more competition have to come along to be appreciated. if that is the case, then they should never be appreciated. for when competition (notice i said when cuz there still is none) does come along, already its cleary the crowds hate the sisters, the new competition will be praised more for going down in a fight, then the sisters winning ever.

its the same senerio now. there just isn't any or much of competition. and the "much" part of the competition is serena vs. venus.

if you notice serena has always struggled against venus cuz venus can play with her and beat her. justine on clay can hang. venus on clay can hang with her. but now look at the big picture. that is 2 players with 4 surfaces that can hang with serena. But only 1 player than can hang with serena on all surfaces. So there is "much" competition right now, Venus is an all year long worry for Serena, while any other troublesome players serena could face are long gon, cuz the red clay is gon.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
But nothing has changed honestly. I will be surprised if Justine ever beats serena williams again.
you get the 'most ignorant poster'-award :)

I can promise you that Justine will beat Serena again..and more then once :kiss:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
per4ever, how is that an Ignorant comment? You just like to hate don't you?

You nor Serenaslam knows if Justine will beat Serena again. But I still believe Serena has the edge on Justine on hard court and that season is approaching us.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
if Justine deserved any credit sure i would've gave it to her. but does she? for all the bull shit she did out there? all though she probably feels she did no wrong, if she were to watch the ESPN tape of that match, if she had any feelings, and if she is so nice and blah blah people make her out to me, she would feel so ignorant and stupid on the tape. what she did was bogus. and she deserves no credit. maybe for how she played in the final.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
if Justine deserved any credit sure i would've gave it to her. but does she? for all the bull shit she did out there? all though she probably feels she did no wrong, if she were to watch the ESPN tape of that match, if she had any feelings, and if she is so nice and blah blah people make her out to me, she would feel so ignorant and stupid on the tape. what she did was bogus. and she deserves no credit. maybe for how she played in the final.
you're no tennisfan..that's clear.

for ALL the bull shit..we're talking about one point!!! and you have your own vision about it, although you probably know it could have been differently then what you think.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Serenaslam:

No matter what happens on court at the end of the day what matters is who won. Serena could have won that match. It was in her hands litterally when she served for 5 2. 5 - 2! Serena crumbled. It happens to everyone even champions. Serena will beat henin again because she has the edge of every surface but clay and even on clay serena imo is even with henin simply by force of will alone.

That first set everyone talks about how justine outplayed serena. True. However no one says anything about how serena outplayed justine in the second set. It was usually "justines level dropped" why? because serena's level went up. Tennis matches are all about momentum. Serena had it in the third and couldnt ride it out to the end. Justine got the momentum back and rode it for all its worth. Thats the way the game goes.

There will be matches to come in the future.... i can't wait!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't wait for my girls to come out firing on all cylinders. BELGIANS WATCHOUT!!!!

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
true that, CD. :D

1 - 20 of 139 Posts