Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All over this board are threads about when will Venus be #1 and how much does she want to get there, but I feel that there is another debate to be had.

It seems obvious to me that Venus will be #1 in a matter of weeks. She may get there by winning Paris and Dubai as Jennifer is not playing and is not defending her Oklahoma points. And she is so close to Jennifer anyway that the French Open will see her get there as she has 2 points to defend compared to Jennifer's 900!

More interesting debate is how important is the #1 ranking to Venus once she has got it?

What do people think. I see some possibilities:

1) Once she has the #1 ranking she will fight to keep it all the time she has it.

2) Once she has the #1 ranking she will fight to keep it until the US Open, but then go to fashion school in the fall even if it means she does not end the year as #1

3) Once she has it for 1 week she will cross it off her list of goals to achieve as ACHIEVED and reduce her schedule again to 12 or so events a year and concentrate on the Slams.

Personally I would think it would be option 3. She knows if she wins three or four Slams a year she will be #1 anyway, so I think option 3 is most likely. She could get to #1 in three weeks time after Paris and Dubai and I really then think that she won#t even give the #1 ranking a thought (she may not now!) and just concentrate on winning French Open and Wimbledon and then US Open.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I would go with Option 1 because Venus has recently stated that she believes achieving #1 is something that should be maintained.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Option 3 - I don't think she cares that much about the number 1 ranking otherwise she would have tried harder to get there before, she's got the talent to do that ages ago. i don't think that being number 1 is going to change that mentality one bit.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,570 Posts
Personally I would think it would be option 3. She knows if she wins three or four Slams a year she will be #1 anyway, so I think option 3 is most likely. She could get to #1 in three weeks time after Paris and Dubai and I really then think that she won#t even give the #1 ranking a thought (she may not now!) and just concentrate on winning French Open and Wimbledon and then US Open.
I'm with you Mark my man (evil grin) . As frustrating as I find her schedule and maybe lack of commitment to the sport(considering she is so good at it) I really understand her position... She really enjoys diversity in her life, therefore tennis is not the be all and end all

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Option 1. She's very conscious of her place in the history of the game, and if she's not a long-term #1 her credibility compared with other greats will be dented. She's only really played two overly-small schedules - in 2000 when she sat out most of the first half of the year, and in 2001 when she got freaked by 9-11. And remember, she's not going to be at fashion school forever. She'll be done with the course in a couple of years.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think 3. She has never in the past given any indication that she is the least bit concerned with her place in wta history. I honestly think she only wants to obtain #1 so she can say she got there.

She and Lindsay really are a lot alike in that they are only geeked about the slams.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Option 3

Mark,

I agree w/your assessment. Option three - rules.

The only way Venus will not reach number one this spring/summer - is if she loses in the early rounds of each tourney she enters. Remember - at the FO - she has 0 points to defend - so if she stays healthy - she will do it. She knows this w/her coy self.

Great thread Mark. Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Tennis is not the only thing in Venus's life.

So as soon as she has achieved her goal as the number 1 player in the world She decides what her next goal will be which may be to maintain it or it may be something totally different.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
itsallaboutinis - Venus has on several occasions said that she wants to be one of the 'greats' of the game. As of last year she was more concerned about winning Slams, because getting to #1 was an effort she wasn't prepared to make; now she's decided it's time to really go for it, and to keep it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Even if Venus becomes #1 by winning Paris and Dubai (which it's still not done!) and after JCap loses her Oklaoma points, venus will lose the #1 spot right after by not playing IW! So, she won't have to fight for something she's already lost!

I would love to see option 1 become true though but I'd have to go with #3!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Being #1 kinda grows on you. Like money: once you have some of it, you fight tooth-and-nail to keep it.

I really can't see Venus being any different. Plus, I agree that Venus has certainly being making some noises considering the #1 ranking a notch on her belt that she'd quite like to have! More than 'quite like' in fact.

So for me option 1.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I agree with thefreedesigner though:

Being #1 kinda grows on you. Like money: once you have some of it, you fight tooth-and-nail to keep it.
Even Jen "said" she wasn't bothered about being number 1, but now she is, she enjoys it and has said she wants to keep being number 1 for as long as she possibly can ... :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Is it too late to turn this into a poll?

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
Well, I am not so sure Venus wanting to be n#1

She will probably reach the top position after Dubai, and I agree with Mark (Option 3).

She said in her last interview she needs to do something else than playing tennis (this is the part I don't like), so she will go to school, etc

I hope VENUS plays all the season, cos' this year she doesnt have any points to defend after the US Open.

PLEASE VEEEEEE, YOU RE THE BEST:wavey:

I NEED YOU PLAYING:angel:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some great replies to this.

I can see why Venus might like being #1 when she gets there, but is she really going to add events when it is threatened. I don't see that happening.

Imagine she is only just ahead of Capriati for example after the US Open. It becomes likely then that Capriati will end the year at #1 as Venus has said she wants to go to school in the fall. Do you guys really think she will play another five or six events instead to assure herself of the end of year #1 ranking knowing that she will then miss school and also risk tiring herself and boring herself for the 2003 season.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'm not personally thinking that when (I've always maintained that it is a 'when') Venus becomes #1 she's going play 20 tourns a year.

No, but I think we will perceptibly see her talk more about the #1 ranking (this might be obvious), how it feels to her (and you know it'll feel good!)

We won't see Venus going to Hingis lengths to keep the #1 (cheap shot I know, but Marti will forgive me :angel: ), but by no means will she "cross it off her list", as you suggested Mark.

I agree with Sartrista7 that Venus' overall legacy will be sufficiently weighted towards her achieving and maintaining a #1 ranking, and that means something to her. Plus by, as you say, concentrating on the Slams, the way they are weighted now it could all work out for the best. The best for Venus, that is.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Venus doesn't care about being #1?:rolleyes:

I remember at the WTA championships, Davenport had to beat Clijsters to become number one. Davenport said she wasn't thinking about it, didn't care. Clijsters said whatever, it's the first and last thing she's thinking about right now.

Venus says she doesn't care about the rankings, but does she honestly know what it feels like to be the one at the top? No. Trust me, she VERY MUCH wants the top ranking. She's just too gracious to come out and say it.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,570 Posts
More interesting debate is how important is the #1 ranking to Venus once she has got it?
Rocksteady, your opinion is appreciated even if I don't agree with it :p, but you did not answer Mark's question :eek:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't like any of his choices. I think she'll get it until roughly August (where she has no points to gain), where Martina or Jen will take it from her.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts