Tennis Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm being nit-picky, but there can be a distinction between having an "ugly" game and a "manufactured" one.

And you can have a lot natural talent relative to your peers, but still hit the ball in an aesthetically unpleasing way.

Like if Konta hit the ball as hard as Serena, I'd still say she had an ugly game.

There is this bias I see that equates having an aesthetically pleasing game with talent, that isn't necessarily true.

And manufactured? Not sure.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I'd take that as a compliment. All the more power to her for overcoming her shortcomings. It speaks volumes about her work ethic and character; it's not her fault that she's not talented. Similarly with Bouchard, who overachieved through sheer force of will and hardwork.
Halep too.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
He is spot on Konta's game. Konta just plays by the book and works hard for it. Her clay game use to suck, her net game is bad. She adapts to it and is now playing well in those departments. It's also good against textbook players but it gets difficult when the player you are playing against is not made out of textbook. If she plays those tricky players enough then she will develop a game plan against them, but that's if those tricky players don't change.

Her game is nowhere beautiful or fluid like Federer's, but more like being fixed upon her. As in if shot A happens I have to play plan A, shot B then plan B. If she cannot execute plan A against shot A she fails (like playing Strycova as Strycova isn't letting her executing her game).

There are players where they have many weapons and shots against a given play. They can use Plan A, B, C against play A and it would work regardless what they do. Konta is not that type.

Halep too.
Agree. Halep plays like that too but not as mechanical (game not as ugly).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I will take Jo and her robotic play but high tennis IQ over a player like Stephen's with oodles of natural talent but the willingness to use it only 2 or 3 tournaments a year.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
as long as it works

41 - 45 of 45 Posts